SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 05-15-2006, 02:34 PM   #1
trhoades69
trhoades69 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Vacuum Leak?

Had to take my 1991 SL1 in for the tensioner and I told the mechanic of another issue I was having. My car seems to rev high and when I sit idle it revs higher and as I sit at red lights, after a few seconds the car will move forward a little then the engine light comes on. He told me the computer says I have a vacuum leak. This wasn't bad news since I thought I needed a new transmission. Is a vacuum leak a bad thing? Also, he's charging me 371.00 for the tensioner, belt and the computer diagnostic, incl labor. Does this sound high to you? Of course me being a stacked blonde female probably jacked the price up a little. HAHA Anything else this could possibly be other than a vacuum leak? IS it pricey to get fixed. Seems my spending money for the beach house is dwindling rapidly.
trhoades69 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2006, 02:41 PM   #2
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1
Default Re: Vacuum Leak?

Depends where the leak is.
You can usually find vacuum leaks by using a can of carb cleaner. Spray it around the vacuum hoses, carb and intake manifold gasket area with the engine idling, and when the rpms gun, you found your leak.

The price is high for what you described. Discounted parts are about $70-90. The diagnostic you can do with a paperclip (I think you can on the 91's)
But, you mechanic needs to eat too.
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Allen's right, you can read SES light codes with a paper clip on your '91. Browse to our How-To section, and do a search on "Paper clip".

Oh, and a vacuum leak is often audible as a hiss-y sound when the engine's idling.

Hm, pardon me for saying so, but I woulda thought, the way you describe yourself, that would motivate him to lower the price. Wish I had some, er, intangible means to avoid traffic tickets, etc.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:03 PM   #4
agoldslsaturn
agoldslsaturn is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

nah bet he thinks they are fake, and that she has money.

You could do tensioner yourself for $100. So $200 more to that beach house...Bit*h to put the belt on and i gurantee you will say a few curse words and break a nail (just dont do it with acrylics, I snapped mine in a heartbeat) but it will be better seeing that money in the beach house instead...
Cause when push comes to shove
You taste what you're made of
You might bend, till you break
Cause its all you can take
agoldslsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:30 PM   #5
trhoades69

Unfortunately I am not mechanically inclined. So the 371. is a must. DAMN DAMN DAMN!!! This paper clip thing sound wild but I'll try it. kinda late though since I told him to go ahead. Next I need to find one of those little clips to hold my hose together for my wiper fluid. Ends up squirting the hood instead of the windshield when it comes apart. Any help there? And can we leave my assets out of it now? Maybe I should just put up a pic so you all see where I'm coming from.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:06 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoldslsaturn
nah bet he thinks they are fake, and that she has money...
Yeeks, what is this, National Don't Be Kind to Noobs Week? (Didja see the drubbing another noob got in the Mods section?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhoades69
Unfortunately I am not mechanically inclined. So the 371. is a must. DAMN DAMN DAMN!!! This paper clip thing sound wild but I'll try it. kinda late though since I told him to go ahead. Next I need to find one of those little clips to hold my hose together for my wiper fluid. Ends up squirting the hood instead of the windshield when it comes apart. Any help there? And can we leave my assets out of it now? Maybe I should just put up a pic so you all see where I'm coming from.
Or maybe you shouldn't have mentioned the subject in the first place... Oh well.... Think of it this way, you're making payments on the wrench's beach house.

Dunno what to tell you about your washers. Factoid #43: the '91s and '92s were unique in that the washers were in the hood, rather than the cowl, so you're not likely to find many people experienced working with them.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:12 PM   #7
agoldslsaturn

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

I wasnt being mean ???

I was just stating the obvious truth. I know if I wear a water bra (ok and this is probably TMI) i get more looks and people try to get me for more.

ITs a given, if they see them most think they are fake and know that you had money to get fake ones so they think you have money to spend continusly....
Old 05-15-2006, 04:24 PM   #8
trhoades69

I'd like to see a picture of that water bra!!!!
Old 05-15-2006, 04:37 PM   #9
Ken Benson
Ken Benson is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
1997 SC1

$371 is a chunk of change for the parts and labor involved. I wouldn't have paid that, but my time is free. If it fixed your car situation and gives you a reliable ride again, it's money well spent, and certainly less expensive than new car payments!

If your car is revving without applying the gas, it does sound like a vacuum leak. Those can be very simple to fix if it's a loose or cracked hose, or it could be as complicated as the intake manifold gasket needing to be replaced. If it's the manifold gasket, that will be a lot of labor, and pretty pricey. Let us know what you find out!
Ken Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:43 PM   #10
trhoades69

Thanks Ken, will do. I really appreciate everyone's insight to my car issues.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:48 PM   #11
agoldslsaturn

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

the water bra is from fredericks i think. Now im not sure, or maybe it was another store, i think fredericks though.

I dont like it because i always feel if i hit something im gonna have a wet shirt
Old 05-16-2006, 02:43 AM   #12
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

Actually, the price they quoted you is about average for the work involved. The tensioner from saturn LISTS at almost $120, The belt at $35, Throw in roughly $80 for diagnostic, and an hour and a half labor for the tensioner and belt, and $370 is about right, depending on their labor charge..... Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but someone has to do it. Only way to make it cheaper is to do some if not all yourself!
GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote