SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 12-10-2005, 08:21 PM   #1
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2
Default vacuum leak?

i have a 2001 sc2 in like new condition with 21,000 miles on it. i drove it today for about 5 miles, & pulled it in the garage. when i turned off the engine & got out of the car, i heard a hissing noise. sounded like a tire leaking air. it was comming from the front of the car. i just drove through some slush & snow & at first i thought it was water & ice splashed onto the exhaust because it makes a similler noise, but this noise sounded like air leaking & gradually petered out. the car seems to idle slightly rough lately i noticed. i wonder if a vacuum hose fell off somewhere. i had a belt replaced on the car just recently & i wonder if they pulled off a hose somewhere. is there vacuum hoses near the belt on this car? can someone tell me where a lot of vacuum hoses are on this car? is there a place where they would commonly leak or fall off? the next time i will open the hood to try to find it when it's making noise, but i had cars in the past when this happened & a lot of times it's difficult to find the source of the leak. wouldn't a dashboard light come on to alert me of an engine problem in this case? like i said, i noticed a slightly rough engiine idle & even on take-off it is as little rough..
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2005, 12:25 AM   #2
jambra1
Advanced Member
jambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nice

1999 SC2
1999 SL2
Default Re: vacuum leak?

I'm sure you'll get some more precise replies, but here's something quick that may help you locate a potential leak.

I have a 3- to 4-foot length of hose that I keep on my tool bench. I use it like a stethoscope-put one end to my ear and then hold the other end near the spot on the engine where I think a particular noise was coming from. The hose amplifies and helps pinpoint the source of the noise, whether it's an air leak, rattle, exhaust hole or other item.

This might help in your situation. Of course, you'll have to get your own hose.
jambra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 01:28 AM   #3
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo
the car seems to idle slightly rough lately i noticed.
If I recall correctly, don't vacuum leaks typically cause high idle (versus rough idle)?
Razorbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:13 AM   #4
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbak
If I recall correctly, don't vacuum leaks typically cause high idle (versus rough idle)?
From my experience, yes. When I did the head job on my 99 SC-2, I overlooked the large vacuum hose on the back of the intake to the brake booster. When I started it up, it went straight to 3 grand. Scared the beegeesers right out of me. That was a pretty big leak. A smaller one may not take it that high.
1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 08:01 AM   #5
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

There aren't a lot of vacumn hoses on these cars. Lessee manifold to brake booster, TB to fuel pressure regulator, TB to cannister purge solenoid, cannister purge solenoid to evap cannister, and manifold to PCV valve. I think that's all of them and none of them are near the belt. I doubt your rough idle is related to the belt replacement. When was the last time the plugs and wires were changed? Do you have platinum plugs by any chance?
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:38 AM   #6
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl
There aren't a lot of vacumn hoses on these cars. Lessee manifold to brake booster, TB to fuel pressure regulator, TB to cannister purge solenoid, cannister purge solenoid to evap cannister, and manifold to PCV valve. I think that's all of them and none of them are near the belt. I doubt your rough idle is related to the belt replacement. When was the last time the plugs and wires were changed? Do you have platinum plugs by any chance?
ya, i didn't think there was a lot of them. my plugs & wires are original, but the car only has 21.000 miles on it. the idle is very slightly rough, almost not noticable, but i think i hear a hiss like a vacuun leak, so if so, that explains the slightly rough idle. it was sort of loud actually like it was a large vacuum hose, so maybe it won't be hard to find. are all these components you mentioned right under the hood?
Old 12-12-2005, 12:03 PM   #7
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

well, today after the ride into work, the car was silent, no noises at all. in my original post i thought i heard a hissing noise, but it could have been just ice & water sizzling on the cat because i just got done driving down a slushy road & the whole underbody in that area was splashed & caked with ice, & slush. today the roads are dry & no noise. if i have a vacuum leak, then i have a vacuum leak--it doesn't just go away or would leak & then not leak right? i heard the hissing after the engine wasn't running. could vacuum leak when the engine is not running? i know the power brake booster holds vacuum when the engine is not running, but there was plenty of power reserve in the booster even after the noise stopped. it there anymore reservoirs that hold vacuum other than the brake booster?