SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 08-31-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2
Default leaking passenger's side trans output shaft seal

on a 2001 sc2 I thought my driver's side seal was leaking but it turns out to be the passenger's side seal. is this one easier or harder to replace? anyone got info on the procedure? I seen the procedure on the driver's side seal. it seems to be the driver's side seal that usually leaks according to the many threads on this. figures I got the odd ball......
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: leaking passenger's side trans output shaft seal

The PDF of the manual procedure is twice the size limit. PM me your email and I'll send it to you if you want.
1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #3
Jim97sl2
Jim97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

I just performed this repair a couple of weeks ago.

The hardest part is getting the seal into the bore. I used a piece of exhaust pipe for that. I did the LCA's and drive axles on both sides and the passenger seal all during the same service. I was going to do the drivers side seal also but I had to wrap up the repair so I had my ride for work the next day. The procedure is basically the same except you have to drop the exhaust down pipe, remove the intermediate shaft, the trans stiffing brace, and the inspection cover. It sounds hard but is really just a little time consuming the first time. As I said before the hardest part is driving in the seal. I purchased a second seal as a safety measure just in case I had a problem. I did use the second one as the protective cage was slightly damaged on the first one. I just ended up using the first one as a test fit or practice part. So far the new seal is not leaking and I didn't use any sealer.

There is a thread here written by another member ShawnV that you will find helpful. I certainly did as I looked the procedure over although I do have the Factory Service Manuals. Thanks Shawn for the excellent write up.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157297

The only thing I really did differently than Shawn's How-To guide procedure was separating the knuckle at the ball joint instead of the strut since I was also replacing the lower control arms.

Hope this helps, Jim

Last edited by Jim97sl2; 09-01-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Jim97sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by off-track View Post
The PDF of the manual procedure is twice the size limit. PM me your email and I'll send it to you if you want.
I got an automatic. is it the same procedure?
Old 09-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim97sl2 View Post
I just performed this repair a couple of weeks ago.

The hardest part is getting the seal into the bore. I used a piece of exhaust pipe for that. I did the LCA's and drive axles on both sides and the passenger seal all during the same service. I was going to do the drivers side seal also but I had to wrap up the repair so I had my ride for work the next day. The procedure is basically the same except you have to drop the exhaust down pipe, remove the intermediate shaft, the trans stiffing brace, and the inspection cover. It sounds hard but is really just a little time consuming the first time. As I said before the hardest part is driving in the seal. I purchased a second seal as a safety measure just in case I had a problem. I did use the second one as the protective cage was slightly damaged on the first one. I just ended up using the first one as a test fit or practice part. So far the new seal is not leaking and I didn't use any sealer.

There is a thread here written by another member ShawnV that you will find helpful. I certainly did as I looked the procedure over although I do have the Factory Service Manuals. Thanks Shawn for the excellent write up.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157297

The only thing I really did differently than Shawn's How-To guide procedure was separating the knuckle at the ball joint instead of the strut since I was also replacing the lower control arms.

Hope this helps, Jim
you have to drop the exhaust pipe for the passenger's side seal?
Old 09-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
Jim97sl2

1997 SL2

"I got an automatic. is it the same procedure? "

Yes. The How-To Guide written by ShawnV was for an automatic. I have a manual. The only difference in procedure between the two is the amount of transmission fluid added. I drained and replaced all of my fluid.

"you have to drop the exhaust pipe for the passenger's side seal? "

Yes. You drop the exhaust down pipe to remove the intermediate shaft. The intermediate shaft is what goes into the seal on the passenger side and the axle goes into the intermediate shaft. The exhaust down pipe separates just after the manifold.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo View Post
you have to drop the exhaust pipe for the passenger's side seal?
Shouldn't have to drop it but you will have to at least unbolt the downpipe from the trans stiffener brace. I believe there is room to slide the brace out without lowering the downpipe but I haven't needed to try it.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
Jim97sl2

1997 SL2

Good point fetchitfido.

I don't have the bracket on my downpipe as it didn't fit correctly due to being a walker replacement. Dropping the downpipe did however give me plenty of room as I was working by myself with the car on a pair of jack stands.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to all

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

+1 on the idea of using a precisely sided piece of exhaust pipe to drive the new seal in. You need to get a very precisely sized diameter pipe so that it contacts just the metal of the seal. I then put a piece of wood behind that and taped it right in. Prior to that I spent about an hour trying to work it in without success.

Most auto parts stores have a variety of short (5" or so) exhaust pipe adapters. Just walk around them with the seal in your hand and hold each up to it until you find the exact fit.

-Robert
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #10
Jim97sl2

1997 SL2

Seal and adapter pics:

4614N is the passenger side seal available at Rockauto.com

548514A is the adapter part number I used to install the seal. I purchased it at Advance Auto for a few dollars.

I believe the part numbers are the same for auto and manual.

Hope this helps, Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Both seals and adapters 2 Resized.jpg (111.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Both seals and adapters Resized.jpg (118.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Passenger side seal 2 Resized.jpg (111.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Passenger side seal & adapter Resized.jpg (146.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 09-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

NATIONAL Part # 4614N
Right; GMC TAMT; 5 Speed

NATIONAL Part # 4613N
Left; GMC TAMT; 5 Speed

Right is the side your right hand is on when sitting behind the wheel.

Same part number for left side 91-02 and right side 91-2001 design update. The difference is the last of 01 and 02 have the dust shield removed and a different design installed on the intermediate shaft.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #12
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

I have been on vacation the past week & have not driven my car the last few days & when I moved it today I seen a large puddle of trans fluid around 12" dia. I didn't realize it was leaking that bad so I ask is the seal area where the output shafts go through the trans case under trans fluid? if so it will leak even when the car is sitting right?

or are they above the fluid level & that is just some fluid that leaked out when the car was driven last & just spread out over the concrete? I know a small amount of oil will spread out over concrete making the leak look worse that It really is....
Old 09-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #13
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Yes, you drain the transmission to replace seals or you pull the axle and instantly drain the transmission.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:16 AM   #14
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Yes, you drain the transmission to replace seals or you pull the axle and instantly drain the transmission.
ya well my transmission is draining with the axles in place. it's hard to believe the seal is leaking with such low mileage, 67.000 miles on the car & it was driven like a baby carriage all it's life.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Clean off the case and find the leak. It may be the filter etc.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #16
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Clean off the case and find the leak. It may be the filter etc.
i was hoping it would be but the oem filter's dry. it's the passenger's side seal as i had the car up on ramps while changing the oil. no doubt about it....
Old 12-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #17
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

i'm taking in my car for the replacement of the seal tomorrow. it will cost me $60.00 + parts. can't beat that with a stick huh..

i found a saturn dealer who specializes in saturns who sells & fixes them....

in my neighborhood since 2001 & i never seen them until now...
Old 12-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #18
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

I got the car back yesterday after having the seal replaced. I looked under the car when I got home & the seal was still leaking. can a new seal leak? if they twist going in can that distort them & they leak? they got the car now & am going to install a new one again. hopefully this time it will be ok...
Old 12-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You are supposed to wipe a very thin bead of RTV between the flange and body of the seal. Clean case with acetone first. No RTV and it might leak.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #20
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
You are supposed to wipe a very thin bead of RTV between the flange and body of the seal. Clean case with acetone first. No RTV and it might leak.
got the car back today & the new seal seems to be ok. there's a slight oily film around the area, but no dripping like before. the mechanic said the other seal got distorted when installing it. he got a better tool to install the new one. the tool he had looked like a piece of exhaust tube welded to a handle. it didn't really fit the seal properly & slightly dented in the steel housing upon installing...