SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 07-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
Tripp
Tripp is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Temperature gauge

So, I replaced my ECTS recently and noticed my temperature gauge wasn't acting correctly. It's been mentioned to change the thermostat but what brand should I get?

Also, I just changed my valve cover and washed the engine to get all the oil/gunk off. She's been running ok but now my temperature gauge just sits at cold. If I drive it long enough, 30+ minutes, it'll eventually go up. Is this a sign the t-stat is staying open? I also got a P0117 error code this morning. I cleared the computer and it hasn't come back.
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: Temperature gauge

Buy yourself some lottery tickets along with that ECTS and thermostat, since these cars hardly ever set ECTS, Crankshaft sensor, or thermostat codes. (you also replaced the old connector and SOLDERED/shrink wrap your splices right?)

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0117

and I'd personally go with the Stant 14297 or the Napa equivalent (whatever part number that is).
97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
P0117 error code this morning.

I don't think I remember that ever being reported here before?? Is your Sat possessed? BTW please add the vehicle specifics to your profile Tripp.
1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
aaron95sl2
Advanced Member
aaron95sl2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
Buy yourself some lottery tickets along with that ECTS and thermostat, since these cars hardly ever set ECTS, Crankshaft sensor, or thermostat codes.
Maybe the sensor completely shorted and the PCM could actually tell something was wrong? Either way, certainly an anomaly!

Indeed, sounds like your thermostat is stuck open or leaking. That's actually a plus on these cars. Many a Ford I have toasted due to a stuck SHUT thermostat; be thankful these thermostats fail open!
1995 SL2 | Fully loaded | 165k on odometer |30k on new engine w/ KB-S pistons - not a single drop of oil lost so far!
aaron95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
Tripp
Tripp is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Yeah, sorry for lack of information but I just a little frustrated because I feel like I fix something and feel proud, then something else goes wrong.

1998 SL2, 163,xxx miles. When I originally replaced the ECTS it was because my car wouldn't stay crunk. If you held the gas it would run but as soon as you let off it would idle down rough until it turned off. New sensor and it fixed that problem.

Fast forward and I notice I'm losing a small amount of coolant here and there but not a whole lot. So I wasn't sure if it was leaking at the sensor or somewhere else and due to my valve cover leaking and oil everywhere, you couldn't exactly tell.

Get valve cover fixed and wash engine pretty thoroughly and I don't see any coolant around the sensor. But, my car has been acting strange as in sometimes when I crank it up, it will idle how and then back down low and eventually cut back off, similar to when the old sensor messed up. It also stutters some when taking off from a complete stop and acts like it wants to shut off but doesn't.

I hadn't got any codes since I replaced the sensor and the only thing abnormal was the temperature gauge. Now since I washed it, I'm wondering if I messed up the sensor or connector. And no, I did not replace the connector because as far as I read, the sensor just needed to be replaced.

So....here I am. A new valve cover, new battery, new alternator, new starter, new ECTS, new tires, new brakes and rotors annnnnnd I'm still banging my head against the wall.

Also, I searched the code and it's been mentioned a few times but it really isn't a popular code. For those interested it's "Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Circuit Low Input "
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
aaron95sl2
Advanced Member
aaron95sl2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

That many miles, take off the throttle body and clean it. Even if it's not entirely causing your problem, I'm sure it's contributing. What happens is the Idle Air Control Valve gets gunked up and sticks, and then the engine can't idle properly.
1995 SL2 | Fully loaded | 165k on odometer |30k on new engine w/ KB-S pistons - not a single drop of oil lost so far!
aaron95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
wi111y
Advanced Member
wi111y is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp View Post
When I originally replaced the ECTS it was because my car wouldn't stay crunk.
Lol.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crunk
wi111y is offline   Reply With Quote