saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 06-15-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR
Post Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

With the lack of cold air intake options available to Aura owners, many people are wondering what they can do to free up the air flow to their engine and give it a big of a larger bark at the same time, like a CAI would do. Well the answer to this is simple, and not that much different than an actual CAI, anyway - remove the intake resonator bong.
"What is it?" you ask? Simply put, it's a piece put in place by OEM manufacturers to mute the engine noise - hence the name "resonator." There's really no other purpose for it. So by removing it, you remove a restriction of air flow into the engine, and also allow for more sound to be heard from your engine. Likewise, most CAI systems come with a new filter, usually a wire-mesh design (vs the paper type of most OEM filters) which also allows for more free-flowing air, but also filters the air just as well as they use an oil-based coating (which needs to be "recharged" every once in a while) to grab the dirt particles out of the air.

So, let's get on with removing this hassle now!

Engine @ idle before:

1) Jack up the front-right of the car - enough to remove the front right wheel.
Make sure to use the correct spot for supporting your car, or you will bend the frame. You'll know the first one or two pumps after connecting if it's the right spot - if the car goes up, you're good, otherwise you'll see the jack sink right into the metal

2) Remove the wheel well shroud.
This is done by removing a myriad of plastic "screws" along w/ standard 7mm screws that hold this large piece of plastic in place. It's there to prevent water & debris from getting up into the metal of the frame and into the air filter as well. You'll want to just keep removing plastic & metal screws as you find them holding this piece in place. Here are a few of the ones you're looking for

Along w/ the ones on the outer edge that you see here, there are also 3 plastic and (at least) one standard screw that hold a piece of this shroud up under the front bumper. As i said, as you start removing them and try to take the shroud out, you'll easily be able to pinpoint where there are more holding it in.
Keep in mind that this shroud is durable plastic, so pulling hard, coaxing w/ a hammer, etc won't hurt anything as long as you're smart about it. This shroud does tuck into the exterior body molding above the wheel, so you'll have to get it out of that first for it to even come close to coming out. Likewise upon reinstallation this is the first step to getting it back in.

3) After you get the shroud out, the resonator bong will be staring you right in the face along w/ a single screw holding it in.
This should be evident as to just how menial this piece really is to the whole setup

The 10mm screw here needs to be removed, and then you just need to use some brute force to release the plastic "rivet" that holds the front portion of the resonator in place. People who worked on Ions are more than familiar w/ these rivets, but the problem here is that there's not a damn bit of light that reaches the rivet up front to see how to get it out "properly." So some heavy coaxing by prying / levering w/ a pliers is what I used. It does nothing but hold the bong in place, so the empty, somewhat beat up, hole that's left over is of no consequence.

Note You can see after removing the bong that NOTHING is affected as far as the risk to the engine. The inlet to the air filter is actually higher so there's an even less chance of taking on water, and it's still before the filter, so there's no more chance of getting debris into the engine.

4) Put the shroud back in, wheel back on, and lower the car.

5) Purchase a K&N (or similar) air filter to go into the stock air box, installation is straightforward. Remove the two metal clips at the top (closest to the windshield, visible in the first video in this post) side of the box above the filter and pull up on the top portion. It flexes easily to allow access to the filter.

6) Enjoy! Most people who have done this mod, or installed a CAI in a car, will tell you the first couple of things they notice are the sound and the better throttle response.

After videos:
Engine @ idle

Revving

thanks for reading, hope you enjoy! (+rep appreciated )
+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2008, 12:11 AM   #2
bulld0g
bulld0g is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

nice straight forward write up
bulld0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:27 AM   #3
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

This was a great write up. Easy to follow.
I have enough trouble just posting a picture on this forum, but you even linked to video with sound. Your a master at this stuff for sure.

Thanks a ton for doing it.
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:34 AM   #4
Johnny84
Johnny84 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2009 VUE 3.6L

Great How-To!

You put this together better than I could have. Nicely done!
Johnny84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:17 AM   #5
bc3tech
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
Attention Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

I forgot one last step (and restrictions in effect on this board don't let me edit posts after a certain time )

7) When finished and everything sounds good, you need to reset your fuel trims. You can do this via a device like the DashHawk or you can simply leave the negative terminal of your battery unplugged for about 20-30min.
This takes the "learned" fuel trim (amount) readings that your car has developed over time and resets them so that in the next few miles it will re-learn how much fuel the engine needs in various conditions. This is needed because now the air will be getting a different amount / "quality" of air into it, so the fuel needs will change slightly. This isn't a requirement for this modification, per se, but as a general rule whenever you change something that alters the air / fuel input to the engine, you should perform this operation.
+rep always appreciated!

Old 06-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #6
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

You might have to do that if you had a fuel system error in the long term fuel trim or a fault in baro that kicked the fuel table way out of whack. The O2 sensor is responsible for adjusting the short term fuel trim and reacts instantaneously. This is how you can drive your car from the beach to the mountains without having to adjust anything. If the short term trim is continuously deflecting + or - 20 percent, the computer will select a different fuel table in the long term fuel trim.

Also, disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes does nothing. You need to deplete the stored energy to kill the keep alive memory. You do this by removing the negative cable and stepping on the brake pedal five times, or hold the disconnected negative cable to the positive cable for those five times.

Finally, while removing the "bong" creates more intake noise (which gives you the sensation of more performance), it does nothing for performance or at least no more than tribal graphics would give you. No air flows through the bong and if no air flows through it, it can't possibly be a source of flow restriction. It creates an inverse sound wave based upon the air flowing past it and resonates that wave back into the intake to cancel the sound.
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
B.A.S.S.
B.A.S.S. is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc3tech View Post
This isn't a requirement for this modification, per se, but as a general rule whenever you change something that alters the air / fuel input to the engine, you should perform this operation.
Does this go for cat-back exhaust enlargement and free-flowing exhaust swapping? I did it probably 4 months ago, so the fuel trim would of adjusted by now anyways, right?
#@ck yaa, it's a SATURN
B.A.S.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:21 AM   #8
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
7) When finished and everything sounds good, you need to reset your fuel trims. You can do this via a device like the DashHawk or you can simply leave the negative terminal of your battery unplugged for about 20-30min.
This takes the "learned" fuel trim (amount) readings that your car has developed over time and resets them so that in the next few miles it will re-learn how much fuel the engine needs in various conditions. This is needed because now the air will be getting a different amount / "quality" of air into it, so the fuel needs will change slightly. This isn't a requirement for this modification, per se, but as a general rule whenever you change something that alters the air / fuel input to the engine, you should perform this operation.
I have been thinking about doing this mod, and after reviewing your procedure and photos, I have two questions for you.

1. I have the feeling that by just cutting the resonator of the ram tube (Your photo 009.jpg) and plugging the hole left, I would gain the advantage of high pressure air into the air box. Do you think this would work any better than just removing the whole piece?

2. You mention in your step 7 about resetting the fuel trim. I know several people here have mentioned swapping out the OEM air filter for the K&N. Having used K&N on half a dozen cars and truck I know they let more air into the FI system. So should I reset the Fuel trim after the bong R&R and after doing the K&N replacement?

And does the neg terminal removal also screw up all the other memories, like the radio and DIC settings?

Thanks
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
lococrzy
lococrzy is on a distinguished road

Is what the last guy said true? would it be better to put the pipe back sans the resonator?
lococrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:15 PM   #10
nekkidhillbilly
nekkidhillbilly is on a distinguished road

well its common sense outside air rushing in from the bumper vs underhood engine heat.
2004 duramax 2500hd
1966 buick skylark gs
2008 saturn aura xr
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:05 PM   #11
bc3tech
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
Thumbs Down Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidhillbilly View Post
well its common sense outside air rushing in from the bumper vs underhood engine heat.
removing the bong does not result in the system pulling engine air.
+rep always appreciated!

Old 12-26-2008, 08:14 AM   #12
nekkidhillbilly
nekkidhillbilly is on a distinguished road

does the pipe not pull air from outside the bumper or does it pull it from the wheel well area?
2004 duramax 2500hd
1966 buick skylark gs
2008 saturn aura xr
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:23 PM   #13
bc3tech
Master Member

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidhillbilly View Post
does the pipe not pull air from outside the bumper or does it pull it from the wheel well area?
the piping both with and without the bong pull air from the same area - completely closed-off in the wheel well.
+rep always appreciated!

Old 05-14-2010, 07:51 PM   #14
POLO867
POLO867 is on a distinguished road

Watching your video I saw that you had your radar detector hard wire. Can you post detailed instructions on how to do this please? Thanks!
POLO867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:48 AM   #15
bc3tech
Master Member

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLO867 View Post
Watching your video I saw that you had your radar detector hard wire. Can you post detailed instructions on how to do this please? Thanks!
i actually don't have it hard-wired. just a good job of running wires. doing this, however, is very easy. i'm sure there's a write up on it elsewhere.
+rep always appreciated!

Old 08-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #16
thrshr
thrshr is on a distinguished road

good job on the write up, shipped to me is front and rear drilled slotted rotors, eibach pro kit and a k&N. I am wanting to do write ups on the stuff. will definitley do the delete when doing the other mods.maybe a video or two. good job though,
thrshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:32 AM   #17
bc3tech
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
Thumbs Up Re: Aura Intake Resonator Bong Delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrshr View Post
good job on the write up, shipped to me is front and rear drilled slotted rotors, eibach pro kit and a k&N. I am wanting to do write ups on the stuff. will definitley do the delete when doing the other mods.maybe a video or two. good job though,
thanks! nice choices on the upgrades. i am def considering the eibachs when i am out from under day care x2
+rep always appreciated!

Old 08-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #18
99SL2_Modder
99SL2_Modder is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR

With regards to efficiency, you're all wrong.

The intake routes over the header to heat the air up. This allows for better fuel economy. Cold air does NOT make for better economy, it makes for better power.

Cold air = denser air = more fuel needed for combustion.

However, yes, the routing of the stock intake does indeed make me want to kick a puppy.
99SL2_Modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:40 PM   #19
thrshr
thrshr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc3tech View Post
thanks! nice choices on the upgrades. i am def considering the eibachs when i am out from under day care x2
I just need to remember to take tons of pics to do a couple good write ups. brakes, and springs. I have been out of daycare(x1) for about 4 months now and feels great. was 500$/month. 3yrold
thrshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:49 PM   #20
RadioRon
RadioRon is on a distinguished road

Note You can see after removing the bong that NOTHING is affected as far as the risk to the engine. The inlet to the air filter is actually higher so there's an even less chance of taking on water, and it's still before the filter, so there's no more chance of getting debris into the engine.

4) Put the shroud back in, wheel back on, and lower the car.

5) Purchase a K&N (or similar) air filter to go into the stock air box, installation is straightforward. Remove the two metal clips at the top (closest to the windshield, visible in the first video in this post) side of the box above the filter and pull up on the top portion. It flexes easily to allow access to the filter.

6) Enjoy! Most people who have done this mod, or installed a CAI in a car, will tell you the first couple of things they notice are the sound and the better throttle response.

After videos:
Engine @ idle

Revving

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoy! (+rep appreciated )[/QUOTE]

I know this thread is 8 years old, but it would have been nice had you included a photo of your final K&K - or whatever- filter in place.
1996 SW2
RadioRon is offline   Reply With Quote