SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 03-10-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
m715
m715 is on a distinguished road

Default Looking for opinions on buying 2000/SC1 2001/SL1

Well I have been looking for an inexpensive ($2500 or less) 2nd car thatís good on gas, so the Saturn 5-speed SC/SL series fits that nicely. Iíve searched the forums pretty good and found a bunch of good questions to ask and what to watch for when looking at these cars.

So far Iíve only had phone conservations:

2000 SC1 3-door, 5-speed w/ 121k miles overall and 56k on engine - $1200
- About 2-3k miles ago the car blew a head gasket, and the owner had another motor put in w/53k miles at a shop and a new clutch. Clean interior, light front deer hit, hood dented and small crack in bumper, no rust clean interior, brakes done 2k miles ago. Said may need ball joints soon, how could i check this?
- The seller is just really had to pin down to see the car. There is a pick a parts nearby with a bunch of saturns and good body parts so that would be an easy fix.

2001 SL1 5-speed w/ 75k miles and AC - $2500
- Owners bought for their son in college in 2003, early on the car was lightly rear ended in Chicago and fixed professionally, but basically they canít tell me anything about maintenance, except it had recent brake work, was just inspected and has new serpentine belt and says the car is clean. In a second conservation she said they check the oil every fill up and that the car is using 1/2 quart of oil per fill up (so about 1qt/700-800miles)Öthis seems excessive with the mileage and makes me wonder if it is because of the lack of maintenance? Did her son always check the oil? Even though it has low miles, Iím thinking it might be a walk awayÖ

Most of the other cars I have seen have been much higher prices or way higher miles for the same price; Iím mostly watching craigslist (Binghamton/Ithaca/Elmira) as autotrader for Saturns seems way overpriced.
m715 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Default Re: Looking for opinions on buying 2000/SC1 2001/SL1

I think I would walk from both of these cars. They both sound too fishy...and pricey.

What about E-Bay? Is there any Saturns that are for sale in your neck of the woods that you could go take a look at?

If it doesn't feel right...then it isn't the right car for you. I've learned to trust my instinct when it comes to cars...most of the the time the little man inside my head is usually right.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I would pass on both of those cars also.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
m715
m715 is on a distinguished road

I fully agree, if it doesn't feel right or seems fishy...walk away. There have already been a few like that. The best was a 1996 SL1 with a rebuilt motor and "no rust". The guy showed me the trunk and said "see no rust", I put on my coveralls crawled underneath and asked him if he realized there were NO floor boards left in the back completely rusted out After that he apologized for missing all the receipts for the rebuild, and said he had driven 12k with no oil change because it was synthetic...run...not walk.

Iíve watched eBay seen some nice ones too far away when I forget to set the distance, unfortunately most of the stuff shows up in NJ and its hard to justify a 300 mile round trip.

ďÖand pricey.Ē Ė comparatively if these 2 cars were good, it would be some of the cheaper prices Iíve seen in about 1.5 months of watching. Where do you guys find all the good deals?

Iím not afraid of body damage or a clutch/trans replacement if the car was right.

Anyone know a source of rebuidable cars around Binghamton/Rochester or Syracuse area? I used to have a friend that would frequent the auctions and get some nice fixer upper cars.

That said I agree the 2001 is out, the 2000 SC1 talking with the owner seems very honest in everything he has said, I think Iíll try and take a look at the car and see what it is like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
I think I would walk from both of these cars. They both sound too fishy...and pricey.

What about E-Bay? Is there any Saturns that are for sale in your neck of the woods that you could go take a look at?

If it doesn't feel right...then it isn't the right car for you. I've learned to trust my instinct when it comes to cars...most of the the time the little man inside my head is usually right.
m715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
redkees@msn.com
redkees@msn.com is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
2008 AURA XE

Keep looking. Saturn s series cars are great cars. The problem is sometimes the ones that you would want to buy are kept by their owners, and some of the others are so trashed you wouldn't buy those.
The solution is to keep looking.
Eventually you'll find the right one.
That Owner will be the one that took good care of the car and outgrew the car to something different and newer. That's the type of Owner you want to find.
Previously Owned 98 SL2, Sold
98 SL, Sold
When your Saturn is well kept YOU are well kept.

Second Car: Buick LaCrosse 2006
redkees@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote