SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 12-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
Escobar
Escobar is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 Vue v6 FWD Frustrating Transmission Problem

ok so i have taken my beloved vue to 2 shops now including a transmission shop and they cannot find an answer to my problem other than saying "hey lets rebuild the tranny" Cha Ching for 3k. Without warning the other day my wife was driving and the gears started slipping. When you start it and drive while its cold no problems until its warmed up and it seems like it just starts from a dead stop from 2nd gear. I pulled these codes

p0971- pressure control selenoid c
p0700- trans control sys malfun
p0500- speed sensor malfunc

Doing some research I HAVE FOUND that this selenoid can cause a tranny to jump gears and was wondering if anyone has had the same problem. I love my Vue and dont want to get rid of it but on the other hand dont have 3k for a tranny job. I did call up the dealer and asked for that specific selenoid and they didnt have them but wanted to sell me the whole valve body for 1200.
-Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2003 Vue v6 FWD Frustrating Transmission Problem

If you didn't have the code I'd ask if the fluid was clean and at proper level?

I don't have that transmission but have attached P0971 description from service manual. You already realize the code indicates an electrical problem in the shift pressure control (PC) solenoid valve.

The text supports your thoughts about dead-stop launches in second gear:

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The TCM requests the ECM to illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL).

The TCM turns the Trans. Protection Mode ON. When the Trans. Protection Mode is ON, the following conditions occur:

The transmission will operate in 5th gear when the transmission is shifted into D or I range and 2nd gear when shifted into L range.

If you read complete text you can see where a few electrical tests are possible.

A quick search of service manual didn't reveal procedures to replace just the shift PC solenoid valve.

What we really need is a member knowledgeable of this transmission to render an opinion.

BTW ... I can send several more files if you PM an email address.

Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DTC P0971.pdf (80.5 KB, 80 views)
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
Escobar

Hey thanks for the reply, Just went ahead and took it to a saturn dealership and they told me its the TCM or Trans Control Module and want to charge $1100 to put one in. Im doing a little research and have found a few for under 400 there is some used ones on ebay for about 85 but they are for the 2.2 not sure if it would be the same one, probably not.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
Escobar

Oh ya about the fluid, it was just redone, tried that first but nothing.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escobar View Post
Hey thanks for the reply, Just went ahead and took it to a saturn dealership and they told me its the TCM or Trans Control Module and want to charge $1100 to put one in. Im doing a little research and have found a few for under 400 there is some used ones on ebay for about 85 but they are for the 2.2 not sure if it would be the same one, probably not.
I don't know about the 3.0 auto-transmission but would almost bet the TCM from a 2.2 is not same as 3.0.

I've attached a few 3.0 files, including TCM replacement, which indicates programming is required. You might want to check with dealer to make sure they'll program a customer provided TCM (if you don't buy from them).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 03 Vue - 3.0 TCM Replace.pdf (98.4 KB, 160 views)
File Type: pdf 03 Vue - 3.0 TCM Programming.pdf (31.0 KB, 112 views)
File Type: pdf 03 Vue - 3.0 Trans Description.pdf (30.6 KB, 78 views)
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
franknshann
franknshann is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
1994 SL

Hey just wondering if you got that issue fixed with the tranny on your vue?
franknshann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:56 PM   #7
spyderr911
spyderr911 is on a distinguished road

I too would like to know if anyone has been successful figuring this issue out. I have the same P0971 code along with P0700 and bad transmission issues as you described. And mine too only happens after the engine is warmed up a bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
spyderr911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
red1
red1 will become famous soon enough

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderr911 View Post
I too would like to know if anyone has been successful figuring this issue out. I have the same P0971 code along with P0700 and bad transmission issues as you described. And mine too only happens after the engine is warmed up a bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I jumped on the gas one day to pass someone...And after getting to my turn off, the transmission wouldn't shift out of 2nd...

Took it into the buick dealership in wichita...they took over after saturn bailed out..They diagnosed the transmittion control module. Maybe in 09' I don't remember. Around a 1000$..

Looked everywhere for the tcm...no go..nada...Read where people said there was a way to reset the module.."after all it does is sense and control amps". Get one out of a salvage yard. Replace the wiring bundle..Bottom line..all kinda "iffy" fixes. Rather not get stuck miles from home ..
Take your vehicle into a mechanic and let them check it out..
Milo (Nix the Burnt Orange Gm Name) colored AWD 2003 DinoMite Vue..127K Miles
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 03:19 PM   #9
Brian99_09
Brian99_09 is on a distinguished road

Also have these codes except p0500. Don't know how to go about finding which solenoid is c, or whether its a large one or small.
Brian99_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:45 AM   #10
dr_phillgood
dr_phillgood is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

All this happened to me. Eventually, getting a good used tcm off of ebay fixed everything. I say "eventually" because I tried replacing the solenoid and fluid and valve body and even tried a bad tcm that was laying around. $60 on ebay for a certified tcm did the job.
dr_phillgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:17 PM   #11
dads toy
dads toy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_phillgood View Post
All this happened to me. Eventually, getting a good used tcm off of ebay fixed everything. I say "eventually" because I tried replacing the solenoid and fluid and valve body and even tried a bad tcm that was laying around. $60 on ebay for a certified tcm did the job.
Where on the car is the TCM located?
dads toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:53 AM   #12
dr_phillgood
dr_phillgood is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dads toy View Post
Where on the car is the TCM located?

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
I don't know about the 3.0 auto-transmission but would almost bet the TCM from a 2.2 is not same as 3.0.

I've attached a few 3.0 files, including TCM replacement, which indicates programming is required. You might want to check with dealer to make sure they'll program a customer provided TCM (if you don't buy from them).

I barely know anything about TCMs. If the above post is not helpful, this Youtube video should be:

:https://youtu.be/2DehorzZT5E

"behind the fusebox, beside the master cylinder"
dr_phillgood is offline   Reply With Quote