SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 07-11-2022, 10:14 AM   #1
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Default B-Pillar rubber trim between the driver-side doors deteriorating.

The B-Pillar rubber trim completely deteriorated on our 5 door Astra; this is on the driver's (LEFT) side, between the doors, at window height. The rubber looked terrible and made the car loud on the highway. Not sure if it permitted rainwater to enter the cabin.

We tried repairing the original but that failed eventually.

Last month, we picked up a used passenger (RIGHT) side part for $2 at the junkyard. It doesn't fit perfectly and leaves a small gap. But it looks very nice and the car is so much quieter on the highway.

The junkyard rubber trim looked great but was a bit dry. So we sprayed some silicone and let it sit on our workbench for a few weeks. That seemed to clean and soften the rubber. Sometimes silicone can deteriorate certian rubber products over the long term so there is some risk there.

The original trim is NLA is North America. One alternative is to source overseas (GM 13123710 or Vauxhall 122782). I don't see new parts available in the UK. They are available in Brazil, Russia, Germany, Greece, Spain, etc. There are some sellers on European ebay markets that may or may not ship to the US (ebay.de)

Right now, I don't think it would be easy to ship from Russia. I don't think MercadoLivre exports from Brazil, although one could pay an intermediary. The shipping from the Spanish supplier is over $50 (per part!). German areas might be best option if they are willing to export.
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2022, 10:13 PM   #2
iiuiiuya
iiuiiuya is on a distinguished road

Default Re: B-Pillar rubber trim between the driver-side doors deteriorating.

Wow, marvelous blog format! How lengthy have you ever been blogging for? you make running a blog look easy. The entire look of your website is excellent, let alone the content!
Also visit my web page - e-commerce website
iiuiiuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 02:24 AM   #3
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Junkyards are going to start becoming a common source for parts in the future, it seems - even for trim parts and other stuff that would normally seem common. Surprised to hear that the trim was in such poor shape already, but glad that it made a difference. The car is already loud enough on the highway thanks to the final drive ratio; more noise is certainly not needed...
Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 12:32 PM   #4
ProOpel
ProOpel is a jewel in the roughProOpel is a jewel in the roughProOpel is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraFasta View Post
The B-Pillar rubber trim completely deteriorated on our 5 door Astra; this is on the driver's (LEFT) side, between the doors, at window height. The rubber looked terrible and made the car loud on the highway. Not sure if it permitted rainwater to enter the cabin.

We tried repairing the original but that failed eventually.

Last month, we picked up a used passenger (RIGHT) side part for $2 at the junkyard. It doesn't fit perfectly and leaves a small gap. But it looks very nice and the car is so much quieter on the highway.

The junkyard rubber trim looked great but was a bit dry. So we sprayed some silicone and let it sit on our workbench for a few weeks. That seemed to clean and soften the rubber. Sometimes silicone can deteriorate certian rubber products over the long term so there is some risk there.

The original trim is NLA is North America. One alternative is to source overseas (GM 13123710 or Vauxhall 122782). I don't see new parts available in the UK. They are available in Brazil, Russia, Germany, Greece, Spain, etc. There are some sellers on European ebay markets that may or may not ship to the US (ebay.de)

Right now, I don't think it would be easy to ship from Russia. I don't think MercadoLivre exports from Brazil, although one could pay an intermediary. The shipping from the Spanish supplier is over $50 (per part!). German areas might be best option if they are willing to export.

Hey man, I'm in Spain until the 13th. Returning to the US for a while before I head back here. Mine is also busted.

Have you seen this one?

https://www.ebay.es/itm/175252911100...Bk9SR9SEu4PlYA

I'm looking at local junkyards, there are a few. I'll reach out to them. Problem with the used ones, they may be worned out too.
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Autolite XP5224 spark plugs
GM valve cover/PCV (55564395)
Side skirts
SRi top spoiler
SRi rear bumper skirt
Illuminated shift knob
ProOpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 07:17 PM   #5
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

Hi ProOpel -

I saw that. I think I asked the seller about US shipping but he didn't respond.

In any case, the passenger side trim I found (by luck!) in a junkyard (and soaked with silicone for a few weeks) looks and works 99% so that is a good option.

From my visits to junkyards, the passenger side trims are generally in pretty good shape and the driver side trims are trashed.

I hope you have a good trip back to the Americas!
Old 09-10-2022, 07:33 PM   #6
ProOpel
ProOpel is a jewel in the roughProOpel is a jewel in the roughProOpel is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Hi ProOpel -

I saw that. I think I asked the seller about US shipping but he didn't respond.

In any case, the passenger side trim I found (by luck!) in a junkyard (and soaked with silicone for a few weeks) looks and works 99% so that is a good option.

From my visits to junkyards, the passenger side trims are generally in pretty good shape and the driver side trims are trashed.

I hope you have a good trip back to the Americas!
Thanks for the travel wishes!

Interesting that the driver side gets more damaged, but it does make sense since that area there gets a lot of use with the door opening/closing so often. In my case, both trims are equally beyond repair, so I need two. I wish I had ordered some prior to my trip, I don't think I'd have time now for them to get here.
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Side skirts
SRi top spoiler
SRi rear bumper skirt
Illuminated shift knob
Old 09-11-2022, 10:23 AM   #7
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

You might call a few Opel dealers in Alicante or Valencia as they might have the trim in stock.

WagenParts in Barcelona shows some, albeit far away and that toll road is expensive:

https://www.wagenparts.eu/psa/opel/a...tra-h-13123710

Mercardo Livre has those parts available for South America, so if you can find a way to get them shipped, that might be a good option.

Allegro.pl has both sides in Poland but you would need to contact the seller to see if he would ship to the US.
Old 09-11-2022, 04:22 PM   #8
ProOpel

It's a lot easier to get parts here lol. So many places to choose from. I should have spent more time looking for pieces prior to my travel, oh well.

I might give it a try with the local junkyards and see what they have available.

The Astras are all over the place here btw, mostly the H models. I've seen a few older ones and newer models as well. It's like the people's car in this part of the world.

I've seen a few cabrios, and they look a lot better in person than pics. Used cabrios are usually in the 2500-3000 euro for something with 120k-150k (kilometers).
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Side skirts
SRi top spoiler
SRi rear bumper skirt
Illuminated shift knob
Old 09-11-2022, 08:54 PM   #9
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

It was European car of the year for a few years. And has excellent handling.

Opel was huge in southern Europe.

But in Spain they had a clunkers for cash program (Plan Prever) that sent a lot of good old cars to the junkyard. Environmental disaster, just like the US program a decade ago.
Old 09-11-2022, 09:39 PM   #10
ProOpel

Quote:
It was European car of the year for a few years. And has excellent handling.

Opel was huge in southern Europe.

But in Spain they had a clunkers for cash program (Plan Prever) that sent a lot of good old cars to the junkyard. Environmental disaster, just like the US program a decade ago.
Interesting. I didn't know they had their own version of Obama clunker program in Spain! What a waste!! Their goverment is def anti-car, and most of Europe too.

I do still see some old classics here and there, but not as many as I expected to see, which I found strange. But it all makes sense now.
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Side skirts
SRi top spoiler
SRi rear bumper skirt
Illuminated shift knob