SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods

Old 01-25-2007, 09:36 PM   #1
chrisbarnes72
chrisbarnes72 is on a distinguished road

Default Has anyone installed an aftermarkert DVD??

Hi, I love our new 2007 vue. I wish to add a DVD/LCD screen where the dome light now is. Ebay shows some units with a built in dvd player for under $300.00. I just wonder what the install might involve.
Thanks

Chris
chrisbarnes72 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
VuedIt
VuedIt is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Has anyone installed an aftermarkert DVD??

when installing a dvd/lcd u have to have a signal processor to convert the information from the screen to ur stereo that decodes the dvd information, unless u have a aftermarket headunit capable to run aux inputs, ull have to go through extensive work to get one to work with ur factory headunit. now if u just wanna get one and run power to it and then just use headphones, u could easily do that. there also could be components that will splice into the factory head units wiring that will let u use the overhead tv which im going to look into myself cause i wanna do this too.
2004 Mazda 6i with the auto/stick tranny
2006 Vue 2.2 5 speed
VuedIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:26 PM   #3
crj19
crj19 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I have one, mine can use either wireless headphones or you can listen to it thru the stereo by using a FM modulator which is much easier than hardwiring it.
Former Saturn Salesperson....Out of autosales for good!
crj19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:24 AM   #4
OneFastStanza
OneFastStanza is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

These days you can get flipout screens with DVD players for reasonably cheap. You can get a nice one from a reputable person on eBay for about $750. I picked up mine for under $500 and it is a Panasonic (I like it better than my Pioneer I had before it because the Panasonic automatically came with a tv tuner whereas most other ones require you to buy the tuner separately).

Anyhow if you go the flipout route then you can just push the video signal to whatever type of screen you wish which to me is easier cause there is less wiring.

But generically speaking to mount a screen from your headliner like you were wanting doesn't require a whole bunch of work. Basically you would want to take your headliner out and then screw in a board to your roof for the screen to mount to. Run your video wire and then put your headliner back up and install the video screen.
- 04 Saturn Vue Redline (Sponsored by Audison, DPE Wheels, Gators Powder Coating, Hertz, Valvoline, and Xtreme Autosound)
- 02 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V - 92 Nissan Stanza - 04 Ford F-250 XLT
OneFastStanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:20 AM   #5
tcinnamon
tcinnamon is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

If you want to avoid messing with your headliner and roof, you can get DVD systems that fit into your headrests. I just got mine installed today. Mine is from a company called Myron&Davis. Each headrest has a screen and a player built in, so each of the two kiddies can watch their own thing (it helps, as one is a boy and one is a girl).

It's pricey - around $1400, but they make single player models w/dual screens for much less.

Here are the best parts:
1. You get new, better (my opinion) headrests
2. You can "keep" them when you *eventually* trade in your Vue. M&D will swap your old headrests for new ones for something like $40. You keep all the electronics, then plop the new headrests with your electronics into your new ride, while putting the old Vue factory headrests back into place...very cool.
tcinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote