SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2000, 11:53 AM   #1
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Default College Sports (OT)

Well, it looks like Virginia Tech's head football coach is going to UNC. The following is a post I made on another board. I hope you don't mind me venting in this forum! Any other opinions out there?

I figured I'd check for some news here, not expecting to find
anything new. However, it sounds like this UNC thing is a done
deal. I really don't know why he'd want to go there, but oh well.
(One of my brothers is at UNC, and the other is at Duke, and I've
seen a couple of b-ball games. I never got a great impression of UNC
fans.)

I think I'll lose a great deal of respect for Beamer if he leaves his
alma mater for $$ after repeatedly stating that he planned to stick
around. Actually, I'm sort of disgusted with college sports in
general. I know I'll probably get a number of nasty responses for
saying this here, but college football has become too much of a
business. I think it's ridiculous that coaches get paid what they
do. How many of my professors made that much? I know that football
brings a lot of money into the school, but I think that overall our
society places too much emphasis on sports. I was a fan of Virginia
Tech football when they weren't so great and I'll continue to be a
fan after Beamer leaves. However, some of my enthusiasm will
definitely be gone if/when he does leave.

For the poster who wrote the message yesterday about "Ivory Tower
Academics" - Academics should the first priority for a university! I
went to Virginia Tech because of the strength of its engineering
program, not its football program. I hope to see Tech's overall
academic standing improve. I care about that a lot more than the
football team's ranking. However, it won't happen if too many people
have the type of view expressed in that post. Maybe that's why I
chose Columbia University when I started graduate courses. They may
not have a good football team, but I certainly feel that they'll stay
committed to academic excellence!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2000, 05:41 PM   #2
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Okay, nevermind! Looks like Beamer is staying put. I still think that coaches and professional athletes are overpaid to the point that it's absurd, though...
Old 11-27-2000, 07:30 PM   #3
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

If I was a pro player or a major college coach I would take all the money I could get when it is offered. The longevity of either job is short on the average and very demanding in both time and effort. As for players being overpaid it is relative to what you are comparing. They are very overpaid compared to most of us but if you look at sports as being an entertainment industry, pro athletes are probably compensated fairly as a share of the huge revenues generated by the industry. In that sense they are comparable to name actors, musicians and other entertainers.
Old 11-28-2000, 06:24 PM   #4
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

Lots of jobs are demanding in both time and effort, and involve actually doing something productive for society rather than simply playing a game. Most of those jobs don't pay quite so well! As for longevity - many pro athletes make more in a year than most people make in a lifetime. Can I say that I wouldn't take the money if I were offered it? No, in all honesty I'd probably take it, and make good use of it. However, I think something is very screwed up in our society when so many people have trouble making ends meet doing important jobs while we idolize and give ludicrous amounts of money to our entertainers.
Old 11-28-2000, 06:57 PM   #5
John10
Master Member

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

>>Lots of jobs are demanding in both time and effort, and involve actually doing something
productive for society rather than simply playing a game.<<
You are missing the point Hokie. These people are entertainers and they put their butts on the line for an industry that generates incredible amounts of legitimate revenue (more if you include the associated but illegitimate $billions generated by gambling). If you don't think they do anything important that is fine, but don't tell that to the people who buy the tickets or more importantly the media and corporations that are involved. Do the athletes deserve their cut any less than someone like Madonna, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Calista Flockhart, Brittany Spears or any of the other high level cultural icons that our society has spawned? Those people also do soooo much to make the world better (grin). I think not.
I and approximately 97,000 other people go to most of the "amateur" football games at Penn State University. My seats cost $32.50 each on top of a yearly donation to the school's athletic club. You seem bright, so do the math for a 6 game home season schedule. We haven't even talked TV and road game revenue and the amount of income is mind boggling. Those "overpaid" athletes are drawing "huge" athletic scholarships worth at most about $12,000 each and very few of them will ever turn pro. The very few that make the NFL, NBA or Major League Baseball are the best of the best and I don't have a problem with their salaries. If the day comes that I do, I'll just stop buying tickets.
Old 11-29-2000, 01:28 AM   #6
Diggs
Diggs is on a distinguished road

<blockquote><hr>The very few that make the NFL, NBA or Major League Baseball are the best of the best and I don't have a problem with their salaries. If the day comes that I do, I'll just stop buying tickets.<hr></blockquote>

And there, in a couple of sentences, is the answer.

Don't like Barbara Streisand's politics? Don't buy her albums or go to her movies.
Don't think Tom Cruise is worth $10 million a movie? Don't go to or rent them.
Don't think the Deadskins, errr Redskins are giving it their all? Don't watch the game on TV or go to the game or buy the T-shirts or hats.

I guess my capitalist bias is showing.

Diggs

P.S. And what's up with the bowl committees saying that Michigan vs. Tennessee (each averaging close to or over 108,000 per home game) wouldn't sell out?
Old 11-29-2000, 03:07 PM   #7
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

I understand what you're saying. It just doesn't seem right to me somehow. Funny thing happened to me yesterday - I ran into a woman who lives in my neighborhood and she asked me if I thought the cost of living in the area is too high. I told her that compared to New Jersey (where I came from), it's not bad at all. She then said something like, "You must be an engineer"! I thought that was pretty strange - maybe I should take that as a sign that I shouldn't be complaining! This lady was a teacher, and I guess they don't make a whole lot working for the public schools.

One thing I don't understand is how tax dollars can go to things such as the building of a stadium. People complain when tax dollars support scientific research or transportation services or education, so I don't see why they don't say anything when public money goes into a new baseball or football stadium!
Old 11-29-2000, 06:48 PM   #8
John10
Master Member

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

&gt;&gt;One thing I don't understand is how tax dollars can go to things such as the building of a stadium.&lt;&lt;
While I agree with this sentiment in many cases, there are some instances where public funds invested in a stadium have led to economic benefits for a region far in excess of the public money invested. There are several serious financial studies of the economic impacts of stadiums and other venues. This is an increasingly controversial subject and as expected the studies come down on both sides of the question depending on the assumptions used and the particular cases studied. Personally I believe some of these public investments can be justified by the resulting increased levels of private investment and job creation (and the resulting increases in tax revenues) but others have been pure subsidies of pro franchises with little public benefit.
Closed Thread