SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General

Old 08-14-2007, 06:10 AM   #1
Jack M
Jack M is on a distinguished road

Default Factory-Installed DVD vs. Do Your Own?

Do any of you video/electronics buffs out there have any experience with this? Wondering how much you could save over the ~$1300 I believe Saturn charges for a DVD system in the Outlook vs. buying and installing your own - plus whether this comes w/complications or is tricky/problematic in any way with their particular setup. Thanks.
Jack M is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
morpheus2969
morpheus2969 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Factory-Installed DVD vs. Do Your Own?

The only downside to doing aftermarket that I see thus far is the service advisors are very quick to blame aftermarket products for any problems with the vehicle (e.g., "Your tires seem to vibrate at 55 mph? Well its probably because of that aftermarket radio you installed. That's not covered by the warranty )

"I have dreamed a dream, but now that dream is gone from me." - The Matrix Reloaded
morpheus2969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
KenSatrun
KenSatrun is on a distinguished road

My neighbor got a dealer-installed DVD on his Outlook. It's a nice unit - the only downside I see is that it uses radio frequency if you want it to play over the speakers, and I've had to show them a couple times how to select the station (I think the kids accidently changed it).

Aftermarket units will have the DVD slot in the rear, if you don't want to have to load the disks up front.

The factory unit requires the advanced audio system - more money - but that also includes rear seat audio. This lets the kids choose a movie and/or am/fm, XM, or CD.

Residual - is a dealer installed unit residualized if you're leasing? I don't know what the rules are, but something to ask. It may be cheaper than $1295 + $675 on paper, but not if you have to pay 100% of the price vs. the residualized factory unit.

Truthfully, I'd be more inclined to decide between the fatory unit and a "Target" portable. I've "cursed" portables over the years as I tried to get the bag to suspend between the seats - don't even consider that. However I like the dual screen dual play Audiovox unit they now have at Target for $275 or so. These units just velcro around the headrests, and allow the kids to watch the same movie or separate movies. Of course now you still have a little "messier" installation and some cords, which might not be to your liking (hmm, maybe not mine either).

Oh yea - I've not had good luck getting the factory unit to play my DVD-R's. The dual play radio is "suppose" to play them, but the navigation/DVD radio is only compatible with DVD+R's! What a bunch of crap!....
KenSatrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
Jack M

Morpheus - that's funny, but sadly how true sometimes, huh? I can already hear them saying that my powertrain coverage on the tranny is null and void because it was destroyed by my aftermarket DVD!

Ken, very detailed advice, thanks! When you say "rear-seat audio" do you mean back row or second row? Does the standard radio/stereo w/six speakers have speakers at least in the second row?

I guess my biggest worry with trying to get something installed afterwards is that it may cost half as much in hard dollars, but somehow run the risk of screwing something else up. Maybe I'm just too cynical and need to simply find someone who knows their stuff in this area...just bums me to have to shell out two grand for the DVD with the "advanced audio" basically being a few more speakers and a 115V outlet if I'm reading it right.

On the other hand, "one and done"...
Old 08-17-2007, 04:30 AM   #5
scotted73
Advanced Member
scotted73 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

KenSatrun-I have no problem playing DVD-Rs in my NAV/DVD radio. I use Fujifilm DVD-Rs and burn/finalize them with a Sony RDR-GX330 recorder.

I've had both aftermarket and factory DVD systems.
You may pay more for the factory system, but the entire system is integrated and seamless in operation. Turn on the car and you are ready to go-no tuning in FM stations. I've used the FM system (inline with antenna vs one that broadcasts from the player) in the past and have had problems with interference or "bleed-through" from strong stations in larger cities. The unit had 10 selectable channels, but it was annoying hunting for a good channel. The factory system allows you to touch the screen or press a button to make selections for DVD. You can listen to the audio over the speakers or let the passengers use wireless headphones or regular headphones. FYI, almost any aftermarket wireless headphone will work with the wireless sytem in the Outlook. Our daughter uses a Sony set and sometimes an Audiovox set.
The housing for the screen is specifically designed for the Outlook and therefore has a much better cosmetic appearance. Some of the aftermarket overhead systems don't have provisions for dome lighting.
The factory unit is a Panasonic model and does a great job of playing DVDs and even playing severly scratched CDs.
2007 Outlook XR AWD Charcoal
Ebony Leather, Captain's Chairs and everything else from the audio/video/convenience world
scotted73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:29 AM   #6
Jack M

Thanks Scott...seamless integration is definitely a big pus on a factory system, that or anything else, I suppose. Sounds like you've had a good experience. With the volume, I also imagine you can adjust volume to come only from second seat/rear seat speakers if the kid(s) are watching a DVD back there....
Old 08-17-2007, 10:06 PM   #7
KenSatrun
KenSatrun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack M View Post
Ken, very detailed advice, thanks! When you say "rear-seat audio" do you mean back row or second row? Does the standard radio/stereo w/six speakers have speakers at least in the second row?
The standard radio has two speakers in the 2nd row doors. The advanced audio adds two more in the third row, one in the IP center, and a subwoofer. It also adds the rear seat audio, which allows the front / rear to listen and control different sources (AM/FM, XM, CD, AUX) with the rear using corded headphones. The DVD systems adds wireless two channel headphones.

There are also two accessory DVDs available (by GM/Saturn) - the headrest DVD's are actually available now, as well as a 10" removable system. It docks in the roof, but then pops out to act like a portable.
KenSatrun is offline   Reply With Quote