SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 06-07-2021, 04:55 AM   #1
RacingRN
RacingRN is on a distinguished road

Default MP3 Trans Issue

ok guys, new member here. Long time lurker. Have a 98 sw dirt race car. Took lick a few months ago and bent up the front end. Broke all motor and trans mounts. Got it all straight and replaced the entire front end. When i drained the tranny the fluid was pink like it had water in it. Replaced with fluid and went to race. Normally i start the race in second and shift to 3rd and run the race in 3rd. This time When i let out on the clutch in 1st it was bogging down and i was having to keep my RPMs up. i ran the race in second and was having to pump the clutch in the corners to keep momentum. Checked codes, compression, coil packs and other stuff. We are at a loss. Any suggestions appreciated.
RacingRN is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2021, 09:56 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: MP3 Trans Issue

Offhand, what fluid had you been using, and what did you put into that manual transmission?
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:35 AM   #3
RacingRN

Dex 3 compatible fluid. Whatever the cheapest was at O'Reilly's
Old 06-10-2021, 09:39 AM   #4
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

In reading the initial post, you are forced to run the entire race one (1) gear LOWER. This is not a subtle change.
For the casual driver, this would be the equivalent of going to the shopping mall and driving the parking lot with the parking brake firmly engaged.
Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:33 PM   #5
RacingRN

That is correct. I have been working. but going to check shifter cable today.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:50 AM   #6
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

It sounds to me like something other than the tranny. Anything in the tranny that would create that much drag would be clanking, smoking, rattling, etc.

If you can turn the front wheels when it's on stands then it's not something tweaked that bad in the driveline.

If it's bogging letting out the clutch, it has to be way down on power. I'd look into fuel first myself.
Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:42 AM   #7
RacingRN

We figured it out. Evidently when we hit the wall the clip that holds the shift cable on the trans came off. We fabricated one and it is working well now.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:03 AM   #8
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingRN View Post
We figured it out. Evidently when we hit the wall the clip that holds the shift cable on the trans came off. We fabricated one and it is working well now.
Was it stuck in 3rd gear still?

Either way, sounds like it ended up being a cheap fix.
Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:30 AM   #9
RacingRN

no . From what i can tell i was starting in 4 and shifting to 5th..or something like that.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:26 AM   #10
Signmaster
Master Member

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingRN View Post
no . From what i can tell i was starting in 4 and shifting to 5th..or something like that.
Well in that case, it looks like the clutch is in good shape. No wonder it was bogging!