SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 05-11-2021, 05:33 PM   #1
Tjolive123
Tjolive123 is on a distinguished road

Default Changed Spark Plugs, Boots, And Ignition Coils; Now Car Wont Start

I have a 2002 Saturn SC1 3 door coupe 1.9 liter engine. I don't know too much about mechanics however I thought it'd be a good idea to change my spark plugs. After doing so the car started to sputter as if like I had bad gas or something so an acquaintance of mine told me get new spark plugs and change the boots so I did well the car started to run even worse so then someone else told me it was the coil Packs that needed to be replaced and I did so after doing that the car starts but doesn't turn over. I had someone look at it and said that all Sparks are being produced accordingly I checked all of the wires the battery is good lights come on radio everything but the car will not start. Also I don't know if it's by coincidence or not but key it keeps getting stuck it takes a bit of time 2 turn it over but it keeps getting stuck I don't know if that has anything to do with this as well . Can someone please help!?
Tjolive123 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2021, 06:53 PM   #2
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Changed Spark Plugs, Boots, And Ignition Coils; Now Car Wont Start

You have the firing order wrong.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ce=sh%2Fx%2Fim
Currently owned
93 SC2 M(anual)
96 SC2 M
98 SL2 A(uto)
99 SC2 A
01 SC2 A
01 SC2 M
02 SC2 M
02 SL2 A
02 SL2 M
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.
98 SL2
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:56 PM   #3
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1
Default Re: Changed Spark Plugs, Boots, And Ignition Coils; Now Car Wont Start

Well then... first things first.

Make and type of coil packs that replaced the stock ones? Same for the plugs... what type and number? Both of the above can cause issues at times depending on type.

What did the plugs you pulled out look like? And, do you still have them?

Make sure your firing order is correct.

Look at the engine from the front of the car.

Cylinders are numbered 1..2..3..4

Coil pack order from left to right should be 4..1..2..3

Make sure all the plug boots are securely on the plugs and "click" into place. Likewise make sure they are snug on the coil packs.

If your plugs are routed correctly and the wires are good, it's possible that the coil pack connection isn't snug as well. If all check out good, I'd suspect the coil packs or plugs you put in.

The ignition could be a cause, but I would say not likely due to the fact it was running before the changes. Was the car running properly before the first spark plug change?
Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote