SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 01-21-2022, 05:34 PM   #1
Meatphis
Meatphis is on a distinguished road

Default 2004 Saturn Vue awd not starting

I have a 2004 Saturn Vue awd. 6 months ago it was hit in the middle of the night. Rear drivers side wheel was misaligned. Everything was fine otherwise. I didn't see any major damage to the frame. Insurance company took it to value damage. Said frame was bent and wanted to total it. I decided I could probably fix it myself so took it back.

It still started and ran fine. Replaced the control arms, straightened brackets. Disconnected battery at some point. About to drop rear off lifts. Start car, was sluggish. Hasn't ran in a while, no shock there. Drop it off lifts. Go to start it. Nothing. Check battery, not holding charge. Try jumping it. No luck. New battery, new starter. Still nothing.

All electronics come on when key turned.
Security light only stays on for a minute. Doesn't sound like there is even a click of the starter. Played with shifter in neutral and park, still nothing.

Just today I try to start it again, I notice I hear a mechanical click only if I turn the key when the steering is in the locked position. If it isn't No mechanical click.

Plan to try to jump the starter to see what happens. Just want a few more insights into anything I'm not thinking of.
Meatphis is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2022, 09:15 AM   #2
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
Default Re: 2004 Saturn Vue awd not starting

...Check voltage at battery, blown fuses, wires for damage. just a start.DC
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:57 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2004 Saturn Vue awd not starting

^ Wire checking - replacing battery and starter should have revealed any loose wiring but doesn't account for battery negative cables; between battery and chassis, between chassis and engine block. Examine those main ground connections then move on with other troubleshooting.

If you're comfortable under the engine to try a short cut in troubleshooting starting circuits; pull parking brake, set xmission to Park, leave ignition OFF, locate starter and momentarily connect a short jumper wire across the large starter terminal to the small terminal. You're bypassing the ignition switch and wiring by applying a jumper across the battery power terminal to the starter solenoid terminal - this should result in the starter powering up immediately for as long as the jumper wire is connected. A 10 gauge wire is sufficient for a jumper as the starter solenoid uses around 10 amps. A needle nose plier will work too but don't short any part of pliers to starter case or engine block. If the starter powers up and cranks the engine, this verifies a good battery, starter and connections, pointing to starting circuit wiring from ignition switch to PRNDL switch to starter (single wire connected to starter solenoid). This wire can be tested by disconnecting it from the starter and measuring it for 12v when the ignition switch is turned to START position.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote