SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 02-24-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
SuperGreen
SuperGreen has a spectacular aura aboutSuperGreen has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
Default Spark plug Gap

I have 2 original owners manuals but can't seem to find the proper Gap setting for spark plugs lol. I have one of the gap tools somewhere but I would like to know if there is a reference for the gap.

1995 SC2 1.9 DOHC 5speed
SuperGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
robb_sc2
robb_sc2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Default Re: Spark plug Gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGreen View Post
I have 2 original owners manuals but can't seem to find the proper Gap setting for spark plugs lol. I have one of the gap tools somewhere but I would like to know if there is a reference for the gap.

1995 SC2 1.9 DOHC 5speed
Hi, when I did my plugs, I believe the Haynes book called for a 0.044 gap, when I checked the old plugs, they were closer to 0.6 (yes, more than 10x the gap). It ran a lot better after that, but I did plugs, wires, ECTS all at once, so I'm not sure which was the biggest improvement.
Gold 1999 SC2 ~385k Kms
robb_sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
SuperGreen

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb_sc2 View Post
Hi, when I did my plugs, I believe the Haynes book called for a 0.044 gap, when I checked the old plugs, they were closer to 0.6 (yes, more than 10x the gap). It ran a lot better after that, but I did plugs, wires, ECTS all at once, so I'm not sure which was the biggest improvement.
I plan on doing all of that actually. This coming weekend. replacing the Platinum plugs the old man put in it with NGK copper, I actually didn't check the wires I believe they are new. I also want to replace my ECTS as the radiator/hoses/tstat were replaced but the ects was not.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
SuperGreen

1995 SC2

Also we have coil packs not distributors in our car correct? What part coil pack did you buy? Should I just look on autozone? Did you replace your coils? they should be done as well I imagine.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:25 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Aftermarket coilpacks (other than maybe Napa brand) haven't proven to play well with the S-Series ignition system. Distributors are so '60's

Even on '96's you want the 0.044" gap, Saturn provided a "fix" for the incorrect labeling by way of a sticker for the radiator support and/or the owners manual (not many actually got it however).

Just make sure the wires are properly routed with #1 and #4 next to each other up to where cylinder 4 branch's off, don't need any of the fancy wire gimmick idea's, but Napa has a quality set with blue wires while most other sets are black.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:31 PM   #6
SuperGreen

1995 SC2

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...736&cc=1266803

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...561&cc=1266803

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...150&cc=1266803

Coil/wires/plugs

Hows that look?
Old 02-24-2015, 02:46 PM   #7
SuperGreen

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Aftermarket coilpacks (other than maybe Napa brand) haven't proven to play well with the S-Series ignition system. Distributors are so '60's

Even on '96's you want the 0.044" gap, Saturn provided a "fix" for the incorrect labeling by way of a sticker for the radiator support and/or the owners manual (not many actually got it however).

Just make sure the wires are properly routed with #1 and #4 next to each other up to where cylinder 4 branch's off, don't need any of the fancy wire gimmick idea's, but Napa has a quality set with blue wires while most other sets are black.
My car starts up, cold starts hot starts, it's fine. I'm replacing the plugs because the old man had done plugs about 800 miles ago and used bosh platinum (got robbed by the parts guy obvs) or didnt know beter. I notice at idle once the car warms up it's a little rough, nothing major, but I attribute it to the platinum plugs, plus it'll be the cheapest/first thing to do to diagnose the roughness. If plug replacement helps then I may hold off on purchasing low tier wires/coil pack and wait to get Napa parts as you mentioned. I will be replacing the throttle body with a bored one within the next month, so I may coordinate that modification with a new set of napa wires/coil pack. Sound about right?
Old 02-25-2015, 12:38 AM   #8
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb_sc2 View Post
How you'd get a half inch plus gap on a standard plug is beyond reasonable thinking....

I've toyed with gaps some over the years, and actually with the stock ignition system these cars will tolerate gaps over the stock recommendations. I've run up to .06 out of the box, and had some big gaps with worn plugs.

The idle and off idle tip in is the first thing to go if you go too large on gaps, and it can play with timing control if you go too big as well. This last set of Denso's I put in was the first in quite some time to be near stock gaps, and that was more an MPG experiment than anything else.
Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:55 AM   #9
robb_sc2
robb_sc2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
How you'd get a half inch plus gap on a standard plug is beyond reasonable thinking....

I've toyed with gaps some over the years, and actually with the stock ignition system these cars will tolerate gaps over the stock recommendations. I've run up to .06 out of the box, and had some big gaps with worn plugs.

The idle and off idle tip in is the first thing to go if you go too large on gaps, and it can play with timing control if you go too big as well. This last set of Denso's I put in was the first in quite some time to be near stock gaps, and that was more an MPG experiment than anything else.
yes, maybe a typo, I will check it tomorrow. I do remember it was a huge difference though...
Gold 1999 SC2 ~385k Kms
robb_sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:14 AM   #10
bigbfarm
bigbfarm is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1997 SW2

I've had good luck with coil packs from the junk yard. Though if yours aren't shot (throwing a code), then don't replace them.
bigbfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:07 AM   #11
SuperGreen

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbfarm View Post
I've had good luck with coil packs from the junk yard. Though if yours aren't shot (throwing a code), then don't replace them.

10-4.

Makes sense.

I have a solid belief the slight roughness I feel is purely the work of the Platinum + our waste spark ignition system. I've heard that at first they fire fine but by 1000 miles they start causing issues with ignition, The car fires right up, purrs real nice. Just I notice when I pull up to certain red lights, the car vibrates slightly extra, nothing severe but I notice it, and I attribute it to the plugs. I want to just go to Oreilly's up the road and get 4 copper plugs, but I literally have NO tools at my mothers house, everythings at my dads and he lives to far I only go on the weekends. All my tools are gone since moving to florida, so I gotta slowly build up a nice set. I believe it will be fine till Friday afternoon after work.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:06 PM   #12
slapshot 11
slapshot 11 has a spectacular aura aboutslapshot 11 has a spectacular aura aboutslapshot 11 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL1

This idle roughness might be more a function of bad motor mounts that plugs. I also replaced the platinums in mine with the proper NGK copper core plugs. Wires and plugs are a good idea, but check the site info on especially your top motor mount, if it's bad, you will feel vibration, especially at an idle.
slapshot 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #13
SuperGreen

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot 11 View Post
This idle roughness might be more a function of bad motor mounts that plugs. I also replaced the platinums in mine with the proper NGK copper core plugs. Wires and plugs are a good idea, but check the site info on especially your top motor mount, if it's bad, you will feel vibration, especially at an idle.

I think my motor mounts are pretty good. I mean of course they're old but Idk...Will be doing plugs/wires tomorrow.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:24 PM   #14
Dipped_in_sauce
Dipped_in_sauce is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

I have a 2001 saturn sc2. Is the gap still a 0.044 for my car. I'm doing my spark plugs and wires today and almost forgot that spark plugs need to be gapped lol.
Dipped_in_sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:34 PM   #15
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Here in Walnut Creek, I always shoot for the .040-.045" range.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote