SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 05-23-2021, 05:38 PM   #1
variable70
variable70 is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Sedan
Default opinions/rear main seal leak

07 ion 246k on the clock. I have owned car since new its been a great car but the rear main seal has started leaking, about half quart every 2 weeks. I was hoping to get about 2 more years/ 30k more miles out of the car. Repair shop 700$ to replace. I am assuming the leak will probably get worse as I continue to drive it. Repair or start the search for a different vehicle?
variable70 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2021, 03:57 PM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: opinions/rear main seal leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by variable70 View Post
07 ion 246k on the clock. I have owned car since new its been a great car but the rear main seal has started leaking, about half quart every 2 weeks. I was hoping to get about 2 more years/ 30k more miles out of the car. Repair shop 700$ to replace. I am assuming the leak will probably get worse as I continue to drive it. Repair or start the search for a different vehicle?
You can try this stuff, but ultimately the only real fix is to replace the seal. You certainly don't have much to lose by trying the additive. It's up to you to determine whether or not it's worthwhile to fix. I would look at it this way, how much in car payments are you saving by getting it fixed? If we assume your new car's payment would be $250/month, your repair would pay for itself in about three months.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 203K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 68K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:56 PM   #3
variable70
variable70 is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Sedan

Thanks for the reply. I think that is what I will do. Have the seal replaced. I just put new tires and a battery in it. It runs, drives and, shifts like the day I drove it off the lot. May be I can get it to 300k
variable70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:58 PM   #4
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1997 SC1

How much is it actually leaking? Yeah those spots on the garage floor or driveway are annoying but do you actually see the oil level depleting? I've had an S-10 pickup with a 4.3 V6 that has leaked for 10 yrs but doesn't actually lose appreciable oil. LiquiMoly oil saver additive seemed to help...for a while...but then it came back to where it was...but still not worth pulling the transmission to fix.
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:23 PM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray View Post
How much is it actually leaking? Yeah those spots on the garage floor or driveway are annoying but do you actually see the oil level depleting?...
While I am not the OP, an answer was provided in post #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by variable70 View Post
07 ion 246k on the clock. I have owned car since new its been a great car but the rear main seal has started leaking, about half quart every 2 weeks.
I often miss bits of information like this...
353K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weakened military; increased terrorism; an emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:00 PM   #6
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1997 SC1

Thanks for pointing that out...need to make sure that your rear main seal is really the primary leak problem...at those miles you may have multiple areas...valve stem seals or piston rings. A rear main seal leak that loses that much in two weeks should mean your chassis underside is really oil coated. Hate to have you spend 700 bucks and still be losing oil.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:05 PM   #7
goaliemo
goaliemo will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2006 ION Red Line

The snake oils dont work. Tried about every single one of them in my dodge stratus that leaks 2qts just on start up.

$700 is a steal of a price for a shop to do it.
Granted i work at a dealership. But we quoted someone 1600 for a rear main seal last week to someone.
I'm just a guy that enjoys my Ions.
Try Google, first. Then ask.
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:55 AM   #8
Bill Murray
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1997 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliemo View Post
dodge stratus that leaks 2qts just on start up.
Are you sure there's a seal in there in the first place?
Old 05-29-2021, 10:57 AM   #9
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliemo View Post
The snake oils dont work. Tried about every single one of them in my dodge stratus that leaks 2qts just on start up.

$700 is a steal of a price for a shop to do it.
Granted i work at a dealership. But we quoted someone 1600 for a rear main seal last week to someone.
If your Stratus really leaks two quarts at start up, you have a much bigger problem than the OP. I sure as heck wouldn't be driving it in that condition. Trying any additive to stop a leak that large is a fool's errand. If it's a later Stratus with the 2.7L sludge maker, it ain't worth fixing anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray View Post
Are you sure there's a seal in there in the first place?
My thoughts exactly.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 203K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 68K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:11 PM   #10
goaliemo
goaliemo will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
If your Stratus really leaks two quarts at start up, you have a much bigger problem than the OP. I sure as heck wouldn't be driving it in that condition. Trying any additive to stop a leak that large is a fool's errand. If it's a later Stratus with the 2.7L sludge maker, it ain't worth fixing anyways.

My thoughts exactly.

Tried the additives when it wasnt so bad. I drive the car 60 miles a day 🤣
Its literally juat the back up car. My ion is down for a clutch and trans right now.
And its the 2.4, not the 2.7. Half tempted to slap an srt4 turbo kit on it while ots down for timing and reseal 😂😂 afterall. It is just a pregnant neon
I'm just a guy that enjoys my Ions.
Try Google, first. Then ask.
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote