SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 06:49 PM   #1
mr. ed
mr. ed is on a distinguished road

Default Service and Airbag Lamps on Simultaneously

This just happened today. The car is a 2000 SL2 model with 68k on the odometer. I started the car and proceeded to drive home (about a mile). The service lamp (NOT the service engine soon lamp) and the airbag lamp stayed on continuously during the drive home. About an hour later, I re-started the car and now everything is normal. Was there a problem that resolved itself, or is this lamp behavior telling me that something is about to happen? The car runs fine, otherwise. This is the first car I've owned with the OBDII system, so I'm still getting used to all these diagnostic lamps. Thanks for your help...
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2004, 09:36 PM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

If the light(s) are back out, you are good to go. The airbag light in my own 97' SL2 suffers from an occasional hic cup in cold weather. My own bizzare syptoms have been an airbag light that stays on, with a seatbelt light that does not (even when the belt is unbuckled) an airbag light that flashes when the seatbelt light (unlit) should be instead etc.. I have no clue as to why this happens and no stored codes have ever been found when I have looked...It happens only on occasion and the behavoir does not seem to be predictable at all, but in my case VERY cold weather seems to make it appear. I 'think" it has to do with the seatbelt buckle sensor somehow as if it does it's weirdness and I shut the car off and restart it with the seatbelt buckled FIRST (before the restart) it self resolves immeadiately, but I cannot confirm or deny this 100%. IF the airbag light remains lit, it simply indicates a condition that has caused the SIR (supplimental inflatable restraint) system to be shut down, so you have no worries about inappropriate deployment or other scary things happening.
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Old 02-03-2004, 06:38 AM   #3
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

The SERVICE lamp is only for non-emissions stuff; for all practical purposes just about EVERYTHING powertrain related affects emissions. On such a simple car this makes things easier as the body control computer has fewer inputs. Look at the door pin switches; if you have theater style lighting or an automatic dome-off battery saver the BCM acts as an intermediary between the pin switches (ground) and dome light. Since the BCM knows your speed it could have thought you were driving with the door open. Maybe the airbag is engineered to go off only with the door closed. You'll have a tough time finding exactly the right schematic info for product liability reasons; just "check these dozen things." Now if you can get a code out of the BCM or airbag controller....
Old 02-03-2004, 05:24 PM   #4
mr. ed
mr. ed is on a distinguished road

Thank you both for your replies. What you say makes sense. I guess it was just a fluke thing...perhaps the seatbelt wasn't buckled correctly, a door may have been ajar....whatever it was , it hasn't returned. I'm still very happy with my SL2.
Closed Thread