SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 09-26-2021, 02:55 PM   #1
merovie
merovie has a spectacular aura aboutmerovie has a spectacular aura aboutmerovie has a spectacular aura about

Question Does my 2006 Saturn Ion even HAVE a camshaft position sensor?

I have a 2006 Ion 2.2 and searching for camshaft sensors all the regular car part places (AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advance, etc) all say that camshaft sensors are not available for my vehicle. Is this because my particular Ion doesn't have one?

I have a random misfire and I did everything else: changed the spark plugs and the coil pack. Fixed the vacuum leak. Now I think it is down to the crankshaft position sensor or the camshaft sensor. Last time my mechanic was out here his reader said (if I remember correctly) both were going out. AutoZone and O'Reilly's readers simply say 0300: random misfire. Not what the actual cause is.

Any help would be appreciated
merovie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2021, 08:30 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Does my 2006 Saturn Ion even HAVE a camshaft position sensor?

No camshaft sensor; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219870

Under normal circumstances, a faulty camshaft sensor should be detected with a P0340 error code. P0300 is for a general misfire. If the crankshaft falters intermittently or fails outright, the engine stops running and cannot be restarted.

Replacing the coil pack is only half the ignition system. The ignition control module, sitting to one side of the coil pack may be the problem. ICMs fail more often than coil packs. Search past threads on 2.2L engines for common failures.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:02 PM   #3
merovie
merovie has a spectacular aura aboutmerovie has a spectacular aura aboutmerovie has a spectacular aura about

I replaced the ignition control module about 2 years ago when I had a MASSIVE misfire problem. Car undrivable problem. I replaced the coil pack at the same time. The last time my mechanic was out (a month ago) his engine checker said a sensor was faulty. I just couldn't remember if it was a camshaft or crankshaft. (During that visit he helped me fix the vacuum leak and get a stuck spark plug out and replace all four but that is all the money I had for a fix at the time)

I've been getting the random misfire code for a long time now. Like a year or so. The main problem has been that while driving slowly, or when coming to a stop, the car's battery light would come on, the car would die, and I just had to turn the key to off and restart it. I think a lot of that was the vacuum leak. It started up fine every time until a week ago when it stalled out and wouldn't restart. I had to have it pushed into a parking lot and was about to leave it there but after pushing on the gas pedal a bunch of times and cranking it it started back up again.

Now the car is back to starting up again and driving fine (I think it may be haunted) but I would rather it not stall out again where it needs to be pushed out of the road again. I believe that the crankshaft is the problem because of the code my mechanic got last time.

So thank you for clearing up the fact that there is no camshaft sensor. Or maybe on different cars they are the same thing with a different name? I'm gonna replace the crankshaft sensor and see how that goes and when I have the money I'll get an extra ICM and just have it in the car just in case.

I didn't need a mechanic to replace the coil pack and ICM. That was easy.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:49 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Your battery light turning on just before the engine dying may be indicating a major electrical issue. As you know, everything runs from electricity, mainly the alternator after the engine starts up. The battery isn't needed after starting but needs to be recharged every time the starter draws the largest current. Once the engine runs, the alternator supplies all the electricity the car needs while recharging the battery. You or your mechanic should check battery connections, cables, and main ground connections. If the battery is old, have it tested. Battery voltage should be around 12.5v, 14.5v with engine idling as the alternator outputs approximately 2 volts above battery voltage to tell you it's working. The drive belt should be tight, not loose. These are the easy things to check to eliminate electrical issues if something is contributing to random engine die offs and not a crank sensor issue.

I think this isn't a crank sensor issue because your descriptions don't fall into intermittent or outright failure. An intermittent crank sensor fault are usually engine heat related where heat kills the signal until the engine cools off. You haven't described this condition at all. Outright failure means the engine never starts up.

There are zero guarantees for ignition parts so after a warranty expires on your replacement ignition control module, failure can occur again whether buying oem or aftermarket.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:06 PM   #5
merovie

All I know is no engine check has said there is an electrical issue. It always says random misfire and the checker last time said the sensor. But I'll go check the electrical just in case at O/ Reilly's
Old 09-30-2021, 12:37 PM   #6
merovie

Well crud. My alternator evidently is working, but not as well as it should. It's putting out just enough juice to recharge the battery (9 v) but not enough to run everything like the radio and whatnot which should be more like 13 volts.

Dude said the fact the car has been doing what it has been doing for over a year now and not dying outright is due to "you're lucky."
Old 09-30-2021, 03:25 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Vehicle electronics operate between 10v-15v so if voltages are under 10v then electronics may act erratically with possible false error codes. If standby battery voltage measures at 9vdc, either the battery needs a full charge (preferably a slow overnight charge) or its on its last legs and may need to be replaced. If the alternator is the main reason for low voltages then it can contribute to shortened battery life. Most auto stores like Autozone can test both battery and alternator free of charge.