SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 09-14-2021, 10:50 PM   #1
C52
C52 is a jewel in the roughC52 is a jewel in the roughC52 is a jewel in the rough

1997 SW2
Default Need a new radiator

My radiator just sprung a small leak and I was thinking about either getting the CSF or Denso brand radiator from Rock Auto.

I will not spend the extra money for an all aluminum radiator or the GM original equipment part listed on RA for those of you who were thinking of suggesting either of those.

Does the brand make a difference on these aftermarket parts? I'm currently leaning towards the CSF as they say they use virgin resin that is glass filled for the plastic side parts.

Many others I never heard of also are available on RA.
C52 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2021, 11:44 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Need a new radiator

$110 for an all-aluminum, manual trans (or add a dedicated trans cooler): https://www.ebay.com/itm/124588936602

Otherwise I believe Delphi and Silla are the best brands to get with Silla being slightly better.

Might be worth seeing what Autozone, AAP and Napa have. If you drive a lot it's probably worth the lifetime replacement warranty those national chains have even if the buy-in cost is a bit more than other places.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:20 PM   #3
C52
C52 is a jewel in the roughC52 is a jewel in the roughC52 is a jewel in the rough

1997 SW2

Actually it seems I have asked the question wrong, what I meant to ask was of the available rads for my vehicle on Rock Auto, other than the GM OEM, which one would be best? This is because my transmission cooling lines are very rusted, and I had planned on purchasing the GM OEM lines as well as GM OEM quick connect fittings from RA at the same time as the radiator.

Also there is currently a sale running for the all aluminum ASI Auto parts version you provided an ebay link to, but I'm a bit hesitant to order as I've read reviews of bolt holes not lining up and welds springing leaks. Has anyone ordered on of these ASI all aluminum radiators? What was your experience with them? I see they also have 3 and 4 row variations available for my vehicle, at a much increased price.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:20 PM   #4
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Folks have reported decent luck with Nippon Denso radiators. I'm still on my OEM radiator, thank goodness, so I have no direct experience with this component, although Denso does tend to have a decent QA orientation.
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:47 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I'd either go with Silla or whatever national chain FLAPS is nearby that has one in stock with a lifetime warranty. If the nearby one has a radiator in stock then likely whatever one you come across in your travels does as well.

I do not recommend buying anything from the idiots at RockAuto. Nothing ever ships from the same warehouse which incurs multiple s/h charges and when said warehouses frick up...it's your fault not theirs so you get to pay for restocking and s/h both ways which often burns up whatever refund you were expecting.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 02:45 AM   #6
PrestonIII
PrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2

About 4-6 weeks ago, I replaced my radiator after the original cracked the plastic tank near the upper transmission cooler line.

I shopped ebay, and found an all aluminum radiator for sale from a manufacturer that was selling out their remaining inventory. It was normally around the $200 mark, and was on sale for $65. When I went to check out and pay for the radiator, they discounted it again down to $56. It turned out to be a DUAL-CORE radiator when I finally received it. And it arrived in about 3-4 days.

The seller was called "dieselpowerstroke66" and they still have them for sale on ebay RIGHT NOW for $59.95. They have 2 left.

I HIGHLY recommend this radiator.

Only thing is, I had to reuse the nut clips from my original radiator rather than the ones that came with the new radiator. The new ones were too deep for the original radiator's hardware. And at this price, you can purchase 2 new transmission cooler lines rather than fuss with trying to remove the old ones.

Here's a link (if it works for you):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18494455843...YAAOSwp8lg76h5

Preston

Oops: EDIT: That might be a single core one. The one I purchased had 2 cores. Look further in the supplier's listing for a dual core.
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 02:55 AM   #7
PrestonIII
PrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2

After some more in-depth checking, it turns out that link is the EXACT radiator I purchased.

And though the listing says that it's a single core, the radiator that I received was a DUAL core.

I'm not sure if they shipped the wrong radiator, or if the listing is incorrect.

But I'm happy with what I received.

And it looks like you can make an offer of a lower price than what they're asking.

Preston
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:43 PM   #8
Keblar
Keblar is a jewel in the roughKeblar is a jewel in the roughKeblar is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2

I went with a Denso (#2219001) from RA. The price was decent at $56. It's been fine so far, 2 years, but as I recall I had to use my old hardware because the mounting bolts/screw that came with it weren't long enough, and the fan likes to hop out of the lower slide bracket (i think one is shorter than the other) if it gets jarred hard enough because the single fan bolt/screw can't be tightened enough to keep it from rotating. The fan not being flush of course affects airflow at low speeds, so if I start to show slightly high in the summer, I check the fan mount.

If others are vouching for that all Aluminum with the brass petcock, I think I would have preferred it for a few dollars more.

Edit: I see Preston describing the opposite with hardware, bolts too long, so maybe that's what I'm recalling. Either way, save your hold hardware, both bolts and brackets.

Also, I'm recalling now that my cooler line was impossible to get off from the radiator. So, as they recommend, if you can, unless you can verify they're good and easy to remove ahead of time, go ahead and get new hoses and save yourself some headache.
2002 SL2 335k + Miles

Last edited by Keblar; 09-27-2021 at 02:58 PM. Reason: addition, typo
Keblar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:34 PM   #9
C52

1997 SW2

As there were no replies at the time in regards to the aluminum radiators and I wanted to get this fixed soon, I went ahead and ordered the Denso radiator from rock auto as well as 2 GM OEM trans cooler lines and 2 new AC delco quick connect fittings also from rock auto as my trans cooler lines look VERY rusted to the point where it looks as though they may spring a leak soon due to rust through.

The combined price of the radiator, the 2 OEM trans lines and the 2 quick connect fittings and with shipping added was about equal to the price I would pay for the radiator alone at my local flaps.

As stated above in this thread the radiator shipped from a different warehouse than the trans lines/fittings, got the radiator already and expect the delivery of the other lines around wednesday of this week.