SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 07-25-2021, 12:04 PM   #1
Northerner
Northerner is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
Question Spark plugs, spark plugs, spark plugs...

I've searched the Vue forum for spark plugs and there are just so many threads, and it seems many different opinions, on which spark plugs to use when doing a tune-up.

What the EXACT type of spark plugs that you should use when performing a tune-up?

Should I use the exact same make/model that came in the truck when it rolled off the factory floor? What make/model would that be (AC Delco? Which kind of AC Delcos, exactly?)

Also, should I even replace mine? I bought my Saturn Vue used, with 163K on the odometer, and now it has 193K on the odometer, and I've never done much of anything to the truck. It still runs pretty much flawlessly - It was a one-owner prior to getting it, and I believe they took good care of it as it was pretty clean when I got my hands on it about 5 years ago. In that time, I have only had to replace the starter which was easy as cake (and of course a wheel bearing or two!!!).

To be clear, I have:

2004 Saturn Vue
2.2L 4 Cylinder
Manual transmission
Northerner is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2021, 01:11 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Spark plugs, spark plugs, spark plugs...

If you have your owner's manual, plug brand and model should be listed. Online GM owners manuals are available by searching for GMs site. Other alternatives are calling your local GM dealer if they're willing to spend time to answer your query or searching online. Most online parts distributors will list several plugs and may highlight the oem part and number. Larger sites like rockauto do the same and will list the oem part.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:38 PM   #3
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
I've searched the Vue forum for spark plugs and there are just so many threads, and it seems many different opinions, on which spark plugs to use when doing a tune-up.

What the EXACT type of spark plugs that you should use when performing a tune-up?

Should I use the exact same make/model that came in the truck when it rolled off the factory floor? What make/model would that be (AC Delco? Which kind of AC Delcos, exactly?)

Also, should I even replace mine? I bought my Saturn Vue used, with 163K on the odometer, and now it has 193K on the odometer, and I've never done much of anything to the truck. It still runs pretty much flawlessly - It was a one-owner prior to getting it, and I believe they took good care of it as it was pretty clean when I got my hands on it about 5 years ago. In that time, I have only had to replace the starter which was easy as cake (and of course a wheel bearing or two!!!).

To be clear, I have:

2004 Saturn Vue
2.2L 4 Cylinder
Manual transmission
Your owners manual says p/n 12569190 should be used. That part number has since been replaced by 12599232 which is AC Delco p/n 41-941 (single platinum). At that time, platinum plugs were installed at the factory, but GM changed to iridium a few years later.

GM now recommends one of the following for your application:

19239701 (double platinum - AC Delco 41-834)
12607280 (iridium - AC Delco 41-105)
12625058 (iridium - AC Delco 41-103)

The iridium plugs will last longer and aren't much different in price.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 203K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 68K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:58 PM   #4
Northerner

2004 VUE 2.2L

Thanks guys. (for some reason I didn't get email alerts that there were responses here but I had it checked off.)

I am wondering - I could have sworn I saw someone say that putting in those iridium in caused problems.

I'm guessing I have nothing to worry about?

I guess I'll have to stop into O'Reilly and get their opinions on it as well.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:34 AM   #5
mattwithcats
mattwithcats is a jewel in the roughmattwithcats is a jewel in the roughmattwithcats is a jewel in the roughmattwithcats is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2

Use the NGK Canada web site to find your plugs.
(The USA version is not as good)
https://ngkca.mypartfinder.com/

Next, my favorite places are Rock Auto or O'Reilly Auto for plugs...
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...park+plug,7212

I use one colder heat range in my Saturn S-Series, so
LTR5IX11 -> LTR6IX11
https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/ng...park+plug,7212

Do not forget the anti-seize
http://www.itwconsumer.com/versachem...cket%20pack-81

https://www.ngk.com/what-is-a-spark-plugs-heat-range-2
2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Maximum Power 0W-30, Champion COS3600...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:34 PM   #6
Northerner

2004 VUE 2.2L

I went to O'Reilly and wondered if I should even swap out the plugs. O'Reilly guy wonders if maybe I shouldn't just leave them alone?

I got the car at 163k about 5 years ago, have put about 30k on the odometer in that time, and have done nothing really to the car except replace the starter as I stated.

Should I even go monkeying around with the plugs at this time do you guys think? Vue seems to be running fine as is.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:02 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Always take advice from auto parts store clerks with a grain of salt unless they wear the ASE patch as qualified to discuss engines, xmissions, automotive electronics (EFI systems), brakes, etc. Everyone else are no more knowledgeable than you or I. Those wearing the ASE patch paid for qualifications either personally or thru their employer to reflect a more informed mechanic or technician and usually work for higher wages than what auto parts stores pay.

Read my previous reply again. Every vehicle will have different requirements relative to spark plug replacement intervals (30k, 50k 100K miles). Exotic plugs using platinum or yttrium are usually good for 100k miles. My L300 uses Bosch platinum plugs and when removed at 100k miles looked new with nearly zero wear other than discoloring from normal driving. Exotic metals are used to reduce electrode wear occurring in plain plugs without exotic metals.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:56 PM   #8
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
I went to O'Reilly and wondered if I should even swap out the plugs. O'Reilly guy wonders if maybe I shouldn't just leave them alone?

I got the car at 163k about 5 years ago, have put about 30k on the odometer in that time, and have done nothing really to the car except replace the starter as I stated.

Should I even go monkeying around with the plugs at this time do you guys think? Vue seems to be running fine as is.
If it still runs good at that mileage, the plugs have more than likely been replaced at some point. The factory-installed platinum plugs would have some major gap erosion with 193k miles on them. That would probably be causing misfires so it's highly unlikely that they haven't been replaced. If it were my vehicle, I'd pull out the front three plugs to inspect them just to be sure, and make a judgement call based on what I saw. If the plugs you take out aren't AC Delco or are one of the iridium part numbers I posted earlier, that's a telltale sign that they've been replaced. If they are iridium plugs, I wouldn't replace them until the engine started misfiring. Just be careful with the plug wires when removing them. They'll probably be firmly stuck on the plugs.

If you do end up replacing the plugs, I would also highly recommend replacing the wires. If the wires have the corresponding cylinder numbers on them, they're probably the factory-installed wires unless someone splurged for the OEM replacement wireset. The later iterations of the Chevy 60 V6 engine (3.1L/3.4L/3.5L/3.9L) engine are sensitive to having the plugs and wires replaced at the same time. GM has issued TSBs for some applications that says the plug wires should also be replaced whenever the plugs are replaced.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 203K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 68K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:28 AM   #9
mattwithcats
mattwithcats is a jewel in the roughmattwithcats is a jewel in the roughmattwithcats is a jewel in the roughmattwithcats is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2

Rebates hacve shown up at O'Reilys...

https://www.oreillyauto.com/rebate?u...mc_id=29997867
2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Maximum Power 0W-30, Champion COS3600...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:08 PM   #10
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L

I had delco +4 plugs in my 03 v6. I put in Ngk dbl platinums last summer along with new coils. Both of the coil bodies were cracked and I had a misfire during wet conditions. Seems to run ok now.
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote