SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 04-26-2021, 07:18 PM   #61
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: I need a 2nd opinion on this Astra

RockAuto has a clearance on some cheap API control arms ($29 each). For the hassle, I would look at GM or ACDelco but those are 3-4x the price..

Whilst you are tearing up the suspension, the tie rod ends on these cars are fairly rapid wearing parts. You can buy with grease fittings in the US. Some UK bloke said MEYLE ends were bigger and more robust than typical parts so maybe worth some research.

If you want a project, the strut mounts rot quickly too. So those are not bad to change whilst you have everything apart (assuming you have a spring compressor and some time on your hands).
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2021, 06:43 PM   #62
Mgg4591
Mgg4591 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Finally had some time to get back to work on the Astra. For the control arm I ended up just getting one from autozone. Unfortunately it’s a dorman and has no grease fitting, so we’ll see how long it lasts.. This past week I got around to refinishing the headlights. I used the standard 3m drill kit then finished them off with Meguiars uv protectant headlight clear coat. I couldn’t be happier with the way they came out, they look like completely new lights!

I also swapped out the black badges for oe chrome and replaced the left rear tail light that has been full of water. I’m bringing the car to the body shop on Wednesday to have the front bumper re-sprayed. They quoted me 400.00 to fix the small crack at the bottom and paint it off the car.

Something else I was curious about. Has anyone removed the black “sticker” on the outside b pillar? I noticed some of the Opels have the b pillar painted body color and it seems like it’s just a sticker on the Saturns.
2008 Saturn Astra XR 5 speed 67,xxx
2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71 241,xxx
1986 Chevy Camaro m6 gen 4 LS swap
1986 Pontiac Trans am 6l80e gen 5 LT swap
Mgg4591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:34 PM   #63
PaulR
PaulR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgg4591 View Post
Finally had some time to get back to work on the Astra. For the control arm I ended up just getting one from autozone. Unfortunately itís a dorman and has no grease fitting, so weíll see how long it lasts.. This past week I got around to refinishing the headlights. I used the standard 3m drill kit then finished them off with Meguiars uv protectant headlight clear coat. I couldnít be happier with the way they came out, they look like completely new lights!

I also swapped out the black badges for oe chrome and replaced the left rear tail light that has been full of water. Iím bringing the car to the body shop on Wednesday to have the front bumper re-sprayed. They quoted me 400.00 to fix the small crack at the bottom and paint it off the car.

Something else I was curious about. Has anyone removed the black ďstickerĒ on the outside b pillar? I noticed some of the Opels have the b pillar painted body color and it seems like itís just a sticker on the Saturns.
All XR models have the black out trim stickers on the area between the side windows. The XE5 model did not. Of course there was no XE3 model.
PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest
2008 XE5 5 speed, heated seats, panoramic moonroof
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:38 PM   #64
Mgg4591

2008 Astra XR

Ahhh ok. I was considering removing it but being it was exclusive to the xr trim Iíll leave it be. Dropped the car off at the body shop today, should have it back Friday.
Old 07-16-2021, 02:52 PM   #65
Mgg4591

2008 Astra XR

Got the car back from the body shop today, bumper looks great. Added a finishing touch that I paid waaay too much for.
Old 07-16-2021, 03:43 PM   #66
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

The paint below the headlights seems to fail on all these Astras. I think the top of the front bumper did not have enough paint from the factory. Now you have a cool, fairly reliable car sorted out.

We've fixed a few bumper covers. The fibreglass-epoxy crack repair takes some time to get right. You need good adhesion, seamless finish, and not too flexible but not too stiff. $40 in materials I would estimate for DIY crack repair (plus paint and clear coat).

$400 for the crack repair and bumper repaint seems like a pretty good price for a lot of work.

Used car prices have skyrocketed in 2021, so your Astra turned out to be a bargain IMHO.

Nice Opel engine cover!
Old 07-16-2021, 04:20 PM   #67
ProOpel
ProOpel is on a distinguished road

Looks fantastic and shiny!
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Autolite XP5224 spark plugs
GM valve cover/PCV (55564395)
Side skirts
SRi top spoiler
SRi rear bumper skirt
ProOpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 03:46 PM   #68
Mgg4591

2008 Astra XR

Got to work on the paint correction today. Whoever owned this car for the past 12 years never put a coat of wax on it. The paint kept soaking up the compound it was so dried out. Just need to put a coat of sealer on it tomorrow and do some touchups on the paint. Last two things on the exterior are to paint the roof trim and get some nicer wheels. Current wheels are severely curb rashed and heavily stained from brake dust. Iím considering an 18 inch XR wheel as the cost of shipping for Opel or Vauxhall wheels is ridiculous. Iím now also contemplating having those dings on the hatch pdríd out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2EBBBEE8-EFFA-42A3-A574-F325C98DC3E4.jpeg (121.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpeg F78CEEB6-AC93-4C2F-AEE5-DC5C9046BCB6.jpeg (112.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-20-2021, 04:50 PM   #69
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

Looks great.

I think someone here used different Saturn alloy wheels that looked good. Maybe the Saturn Aura? They were cheap. Search the forums for that alternative.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:52 PM   #70
ProOpel

Quote:
Got to work on the paint correction today. Whoever owned this car for the past 12 years never put a coat of wax on it. The paint kept soaking up the compound it was so dried out. Just need to put a coat of sealer on it tomorrow and do some touchups on the paint. Last two things on the exterior are to paint the roof trim and get some nicer wheels. Current wheels are severely curb rashed and heavily stained from brake dust. Iím considering an 18 inch XR wheel as the cost of shipping for Opel or Vauxhall wheels is ridiculous. Iím now also contemplating having those dings on the hatch pdríd out.
I've been trying to find 18" rims in Europe for over a year. I've used ebay.es, ebay.de and ebay.co.uk (you can use the same US login btw) and the main problem I've had is sellers willing to ship, and now to top it off it's the tremendous shipping costs. Shipping prices have gone up a lot since last year. So, I decided to stick to my 18" Aura rims. I'm thinking of replacing them with new ones though. Attached is a pic of mine with Aura rims. I think yours would look fabulous with them on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Astrarimss.jpg (76.8 KB, 11 views)
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Side skirts
SRi top spoiler
SRi rear bumper skirt
Old 07-20-2021, 06:52 PM   #71
Mgg4591

2008 Astra XR

I was eyeing those same wheels! Iím gonna keep an eye out on facebook marketplace in case some pop up for cheap. I just put those new tires on not too long ago so I can wait a little. One other thing I forgot to mention, I bought a new pair of front struts that Iíll be installing later in the week. I also got some new mounts and sway bar links. I bought Acdelco parts from Rockauto but when I opened the box I found genuine Opel struts which was pretty cool. When replacing the broken control arm I noticed the the driver side strut has some heavy rust and pieces flaking off right below the seal and boot. I never had the car aligned after replacing the control arm, so I figure Iíll do the struts now then get it done after. I also found some rust under the mount cap on the driver side, so Iím not taking any chances. Struts were only 63 bucks a side which is great for oem stuff.

Another thing I noticed recently is when going over bumps the steering wheel likes to bounce around and sort of jump out of my hands. Donít know if its just a characteristic of the car due to the firmer suspension, or maybe its the tire hopping due to worn struts. Iím probably making a video on this too so I should have it up over the weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 23F302D6-D50D-49D6-9AC0-C2E06E00EE3D.jpeg (88.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpeg 3F1DF67B-E010-4D62-A4A2-98CE9CACD0EF.jpeg (73.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-20-2021, 09:05 PM   #72
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

Quote:
Another thing I noticed recently is when going over bumps the steering wheel likes to bounce around and sort of jump out of my hands.
Not my experience with the XE or XR.

You can recycle the rubber boots and bungs.

The front coil springs break on occasion. The breaks I have seen look like a hairline paint chip near the ends of the springs, so can be a bit difficult to identify. You might take a good lamp and insect the springs visually before doing the struts just in case you need to order springs.

These Bilstein B3 front springs are very cheap at Autoplicity. I ordered them but note that they are more XE style so a bit higher and softer:
https://autoplicity.com/12624376-bilstein-37-163563

In May, we purchased some Bilstein springs from a UK bloke on eBay called "tdcautomotive". They were well priced and arrived in 5 or 6 days. He may have higher performance parts in the store.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:59 PM   #73
ProOpel

Quote:
I was eyeing those same wheels! Iím gonna keep an eye out on facebook marketplace in case some pop up for cheap. I just put those new tires on not too long ago so I can wait a little. One other thing I forgot to mention, I bought a new pair of front struts that Iíll be installing later in the week. I also got some new mounts and sway bar links. I bought Acdelco parts from Rockauto but when I opened the box I found genuine Opel struts which was pretty cool. When replacing the broken control arm I noticed the the driver side strut has some heavy rust and pieces flaking off right below the seal and boot. I never had the car aligned after replacing the control arm, so I figure Iíll do the struts now then get it done after. I also found some rust under the mount cap on the driver side, so Iím not taking any chances. Struts were only 63 bucks a side which is great for oem stuff.

Another thing I noticed recently is when going over bumps the steering wheel likes to bounce around and sort of jump out of my hands. Donít know if its just a characteristic of the car due to the firmer suspension, or maybe its the tire hopping due to worn struts. Iím probably making a video on this too so I should have it up over the weekend.
In the US, these Auras and the XR 18s are the best looking options out there. They even have the same aura rims across the pond, but only in 17" size, so our 18" Aura rims would be very unusual in the EU.

A while back I photoshopped several rims on the car. I've attached a few here here so you can see which one looks the best.

The Audi rims (can't remember the car's model) would need modification to fit our cars though, but they look great in our cars. Granted, mine is a 5dr, but you can get an idea what it would look like in your 3dr.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vectrarims.jpg (64.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg vxrrims.jpg (63.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg audirims.jpg (69.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Painted Saturn Aura rims.jpg (59.0 KB, 7 views)
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Side skirts
SRi top spoiler
SRi rear bumper skirt
Old 07-22-2021, 05:13 PM   #74
Mgg4591

2008 Astra XR

Got the struts swapped out today and man they made a huge difference. Aside from the heavy rust they did feel pretty worn. The passenger side would compress very easily until about halfway down when it met some resistance. I found a little play in the driver side sway bar link as well. New struts, mounts, and links and the steering wheel doesnít bounce out of my hands anymore! The ride is also quieter over bumps and the slight clunking sound that I had on the driver side is gone, probably due to the sway bar link. I also noticed the shaking I had in the steering wheel at highway speed is completely gone as well. I had the wheels balanced when I put the tires on so I figured the vibration was due to a bent wheel or something. Iím taking it in for an alignment on Saturday and she should be 100%. Last thing Iím contemplating aside from having to do the timing belt is throwing a set of rear shocks in. The fronts were bad enough, the rear are probably due as well.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:06 PM   #75
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

These little cars handle quite well with newer suspension bits.

I installed those same numbered front struts. I also installed rear shocks 93182103, which seem to match perfectly in height and performance (I used Bilstein B3 springs all around on 4 door XE). This suspension seems slightly more stiff than OEM XE but same height. It is a bit higher and softer than the XR IMHO (my buddy has the XR with XJ2 sports suspension so I have a reference).

RockAuto has the 93178641 rear shocks, which seems for the sportier 2 door or 4 door with XJ2 suspension package.

Both my rear shocks were leaking at 80k miles but they were ridden hard.

Rear shocks are super easy to change. You can easily remove the rear springs to check for breaks also.

Some numbers have changed but this helps a bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshaffer View Post
Here is how Alldata breaks down the different options.

Coil Spring

Front - Without AC - Manual Trans #93179402
Front - Without AC - Auto Trans #93179698
Front - With AC - Without Non Variable Steering #93179698
Front - With AC - With Non Variable Steering #93179666

Rear - Without Sports Chassis #93178630
Rear - With Sports Chassis #93178632

Shocks/Struts

Front Strut - Manual Trans - Right - Without Sports Chassis #93179397
Front Strut - Manual Trans - Right - With Sports Chassis #93179685
Front Strut - Manual Trans - Left - Without Sport Chassis #93179398
Front Strut - Manual Trans - Left - With Sports Chassis #93179684
Front Strut - Auto Trans - Right - Without Sports Chassis #93179397
Front Strut - Auto Trans - Right - With Sports Chassis #93179685
Front Strut - Auto Trans - Left - Without Sports Chassis #93179398
Front Strut - Auto Trans - Left - With Sports Chassis #93179684

Rear Shock Absorber - 2 Door #93178641
Rear Shock Absorber - 4 Door #93178640
For the timing belt, get the full kit with idler and tensioner. The idler can spew grease. But I don't recall many timing belts breaking on these. At 13 years, it is time to change regardless.

Last edited by AstraFasta; 07-22-2021 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:38 PM   #76
PaulR

Quote:
Got the car back from the body shop today, bumper looks great. Added a finishing touch that I paid waaay too much for.
Where did you find the Opel valve cover insert? I have only been able to find the later Opel logo or ones not for the 1.8L. That is the only piece that I need to complete my conversion. Thanks.
PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest
Old 09-26-2021, 12:13 AM   #77
Mgg4591

2008 Astra XR

I grabbed it on ebay. Just kept trying multiple search terms for Astra coil cover. It looked correct from the photo so I just took a gamble on it. Cost 150.00 with shipping
Old 09-26-2021, 12:21 AM   #78
Mgg4591

2008 Astra XR

So the Astra clicked over 70k this week and its time for the 3rd oil change. I’ve decided to stick to changing the oil every 5k, so it’s easy to keep track without an oil monitor or sticker. I’ve been putting Mobil 1 full synthetic in it.

I also just splurged for a set of reman 18 inch xr wheels. Ordered a set of continental all seasons to go with them. Gonna put some new tpms sensors in while I’m at it. So far the car has been pretty much problem free. I had a random O2 sensor code come and go a few months back for the heater circuit. Popped a sensor in from rockauto and it’s been good ever since.

Next job is going to be the timing belt..
Old 09-26-2021, 09:49 AM   #79
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

Just was wondering how your Astra was going. We had the random o2 codes popping up from time time for years. Just changed the downstream o2 sensor. Code is gone and engine is more responsive.The XR wheels look great.

User Goob used only M1 full synthetic at 5k intervals from day one; the top of his engine looks new. GM requires a Dexos certified oil & M1 full synthetic keeps our cam phasers quiet.

- There are a couple of great timing belt threads here and a great PDF. We don't see many timing belt failures on these cars. But this is an interference engine and the longest interval I have ever seen is the shorter of 10 years or 100k miles, so you are due. There are some z18xer timing belt failures, so the system is not "bullet proof".

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209166

--- You should get a whole kit (belt, idler, tensioner...) as the idler can spew oil and it is easy to change when everything is apart.

--- There are one or more bolts that are torque to yield so you need to replace them (dealer can get them in a few days and not too expensive). See thread above

- Before doing the work, check engine block for oil leaks:

---The round seals behind the 2 cam phaser / sprockets often leaks as can the silicone at the metal "bridge" between them. Easier to change if you have the timing belt off. This is the service note from europe:

https://workshop-manuals.com/vauxhal..._bridge_leaky/

---The valve cover gasket is a popular leak but that can be done in 10 minutes. If you take the valve cover off, replace the gasket. Some people put a dab of silicone at the 90* corners.

- If you have a dieseling sound for first second or two of morning starting, then you may be hearing the cam phasers / sprockets:

--- Try removing the orange filters from the 2 cam solenoids as that is easy and recommended by GM (see GM service note referenced in the forums)

--- If that doesn't help, typically people replace the cam phasers / sprockets. That is pretty easy if you do it while changing the timing belt.

--- I have seen a few guys claim the issue is a clogged oil pan filter. There is a youtube video of a guy removing the oil pan and cleaning that. Oil pan "gasket" can be leaky also; do some research there if necessary.

- The "oil cooler" system can leak oil. That requires removing the exhaust manifold and replacing some seals. So not really related to timing belt change. Just another source of oil leaks if you are looking...
Old 09-27-2021, 10:40 PM   #80
PaulR

Quote:
I grabbed it on ebay. Just kept trying multiple search terms for Astra coil cover. It looked correct from the photo so I just took a gamble on it. Cost 150.00 with shipping
Ouch... that's a lot of money. I might try my connections in Germany. One being my nephew going to school this semester in Hamburg who is his third year at West Point. Or my pen pal in North West Rhine Westphalia who uses me as a conduit for American muscle car new brochures (prospekts). Thanks.
PaulR