Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 11-21-2020, 04:23 PM   #21
C152
C152 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2008 Astra XR
Default Re: I need a 2nd opinion on this Astra

Hi Mgg4591,

Congratulations! You made a great choice.
Kind Regards,
C152
2008 Astra 3dr XR (Opel)
2009 Astra 3dr XR (Vauxhall)
C152 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2020, 04:57 PM   #22
Mgg4591
Mgg4591 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by C152 View Post
Hi Mgg4591,

Congratulations! You made a great choice.
Thanks, managed to get some shots up by taking a screen shot and cropping.
2008 Saturn Astra XR 5 speed 67,xxx
2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71 241,xxx
1986 Chevy Camaro m6 gen 4 LS swap
1986 Pontiac Trans am 6l80e gen 5 LT swap
Mgg4591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:24 PM   #23
eric08
eric08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Cool! Congrats on the find. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
eric08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:12 AM   #24
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

How does it run? How does it look underneath (the photo is not very clear)? Are you happy with the purchase and trip?
AstraFasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:56 AM   #25
Mgg4591

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraFasta View Post
How does it run? How does it look underneath (the photo is not very clear)? Are you happy with the purchase and trip?
We ended up stopping in CT so I didnít get the car back home yet. The body over all looks good, just the paint on the front bumper below the grill is faded a little, but I didnít find significant rust anywhere. I peaked underneath and everything looked really clean. Mid test drive I was immediately sold on it. It handles and feels significantly better than a regular civic or any other economy car. I liked the firmness of the suspension and the support of the seats.

The sunroof works great and the brakes feel really good, no vibration at all. I didnít even bother trying to haggle with the kid, the exhaust looks like it was fixed professionally and he didnít even have to have that done. When I get it home Iíll be doing a full check up and cleaning. Iíll probably grab a front seat from a wrecker and a steering wheel. Only two big things it needs cosmetically are the roof side trim pieces painted and the headlights buffed out. Iím planning on opc bumpers later so the slightly faded paint at the top of the bumper is ok.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:20 AM   #26
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

Great! These cars handle very well for front drive. They are a bit sensitive to good wheel balance and alignment.

The paint on the bumper tops and aluminum roof rails are popular problems.

**In fact, this weekend, I repainted the roof rails for two cars in the basement. Two coats of fairly flat black are drying now and we will replace them Wednesday after the paint has reasonably dried and cured.

The rails from my buddy's car were replaced on warranty but those also failed. The rails have 4 hidden clips and are easy to remove. Then manually peel the black coating off. You will see some adhesive and aluminum oxidation that you can clean with sanding, washing, and some paint prep chemical.

**The paint on the bumper tops seems too thin/poorly applied. Polishing risks losing more color. Our Astra is Black so we don't notice the issue too much. Alternatives are repaint, "plastidip", gently clean/wax to protect, leave as is.

Why not set up a new thread for your refurb and maintenance? I catalog some maintenance here as you might know.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=208132
Old 11-23-2020, 07:17 PM   #27
Mgg4591

2008 Astra XR

Got her home yesterday and took a closer look around the body today. She’s not super clean, but there’s not too much I can’t fix. A couple of things I didn’t notice back in Massachusetts was a small spot of rust right behind the driver door handle. This should be easy enough to fix by popping the handle off, sanding the spot, and hitting it with some touchup paint. It’s hardly noticeable the way it is anyway, but I’ll probably fix it during the cleanup. I also noticed under the right light that the hood has some scallop dings which match the support structure under the hood. I’m assuming something leaned against it at one point cause caused the reverse dings. Other than those two things the rest of the body is pretty straight. The underside is exceptionally clean with no rust, and the engine is bone dry. Theres one scuff on the back right of the bumper which I knew about from the photos, by once again touchup paint will blend that in. I still need to do a full shakedown on the car to see what I need to order, but so far the lack of underbody rust and smoothness of how it drives were well worth it.

Last edited by Mgg4591; 11-23-2020 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:43 PM   #28
FreedomSoftware
FreedomSoftware will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgg4591 View Post
Thanks for the rust info. I have the trailer and I'm headin up tomorrow morning!
I was the one that had the strut mount bust. I ended up going over some train tracks that were a little more rough than i thought. Though it still was rust because i had water in my mount. I ended up leaving the plastic caps off, and just check them and make sure there isnt water every time i check/change the oil. So far its bone dry, and no rust.
'08 Saturn Astra
-Debadge
-Vauxhall Grille
-Thule Roof Rack (and wind fairing)
-1.25" Lowered
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs
FreedomSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:06 PM   #29
twbixler
twbixler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFS View Post
If I were in your shoes, I'd buy it.

I agree regarding the remarks on the front seat, being able to get one much better used online. You're in a heavily populated part of the country and could have one within a couple hours drive. https://www.car-part.com/

Mine just turned 100K and has needed all you'd associate with a car having that mileage and years. Most recent was timing belt (associated water pump, idler, tensioner, etc.) and oil cooler gaskets. I'd rather not have to do any of it, but the car is fun handling, mechanically pretty simple by today's standards, and I prefer to invest what I might normally pay as car payments. Wife thinks I'm nuts to drive something so aged, but it looks 4-5 years old and nobody knows the difference because they've almost never seen one.

So don't take any ***** for your purchase. After all, it is the good-looking car responsible for making Jeremy Clarkson eat his hair in an omelet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSIi13ntL6w

I have a spare leather steering wheel in much better shape than yours and I can offer it to you for a very fair price if interested.

Have fun.
Can I ask you a question about your post? I recently purchase an Astra with 65,000 miles. I really like the car and plan to keep it for awhile. Something I guess I should be looking at is replacing the timing belt, etc. Can I ask you roughly how much a project like that costs? Also, was it hard to find a mechanic to do that? It was my understanding that this engine required some special tools for the project. Would appreciate any info you could provide.
twbixler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:46 PM   #30
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by twbixler View Post
Can I ask you a question about your post? I recently purchase an Astra with 65,000 miles. I really like the car and plan to keep it for awhile. Something I guess I should be looking at is replacing the timing belt, etc. Can I ask you roughly how much a project like that costs? Also, was it hard to find a mechanic to do that? It was my understanding that this engine required some special tools for the project. Would appreciate any info you could provide.

First you must know I'm in Silicon Valley and everything goes for a premium here, which is why I will be in Knoxville, TN by next August. Dealership labor charges run from $140-180 per hour, and that is not even Porsche, Audi, Merc, etc. This is a great place to live if you make at least $150K. Every week, billions of dollars pour from around the world into this regional, nine county, nine million people economy. They have no knowledge of what it is like to have a mine close, crop get devastated, or a plant locked up and sent overseas. Some of that is about to happen with Tesla and others recently deciding to shutter on California and bug out.

AAA reports the job can be done for $900-1400 in my zip code. Price does not include affiliation discount. Their online estimating tool is here:

https://www.aaa.com/autorepair/estimate

A garage I really like and trust said $1100. They charge $120 per hour labor. I decided to do it on my own. I added replacement of the water pump and water pump pulley as well. Of course all tensioners, idlers, accessory belt, and appropriate bolts were replaced. My costs were as follows:

Parts: $480 (plus $15 worth of fasteners after the fact)
Tools: $80
Fluids: $35
Muscle: $150

Total: $760

The "Muscle" regards my hiring two mobile mechanics to help get the timing belt back on. Until recently, I was a cancer patient and very weak from medication. I could not simultaneously work the timing belt idler arm and with the other hand, slip on the tight fitting timing belt. It took them just a few minutes, but worth it to me because my project had been moribund for six weeks.

The difficulty and aggravation level was all I could ever want. Still, I know that every item was put in correctly and torqued right. I also spent a couple hours choosing my parts purchases online, versus not knowing what was chosen for me. My resolve this last year was to restore the car for another 3-4 years of service life and to a level where I'd feel comfortable opening up every now and then to 100+ mph, which this car does just fine and feels solid while doing it.

Your mileage is still low for this repair, but the time has come and gone. I had 98K miles when I started and the belt looked and felt like it still had a lot of life, but its a dicey thing to wait.

Hope that helps.
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:43 PM   #31
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twbixler View Post
Can I ask you a question about your post? I recently purchase an Astra with 65,000 miles. I really like the car and plan to keep it for awhile. Something I guess I should be looking at is replacing the timing belt, etc.
I have seen several Astra timing belt service intervals from different manufacturers. The longest I saw was the shorter of 10 years or 100k miles (if I recall correctly). You can look at the Saturn Astra service manual also for tips.

I don't see many timing belts fail here but 12 years you start to push it as the rubber ages. Also the idler pulley was spitting grease on mine at 50k miles, so I am glad to have changed it.

The Astra water pump runs on the accessory belt and is easy to access. So in this case, it does not need to be changed with the timing belt. The only painful part of the water pump replacement is draining the coolant. If your coolant hasn't been changed in the last 5 years you should do that (corrosion protection). If you are going to drain the coolant, at this stage replacing the water pump is so cheap and easy it is not a bad idea IMHO.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:08 PM   #32
Mgg4591

2008 Astra XR

Got the car up in the air and this thing really needs nothing. The flexpipe looks great and appears to have been installed by an exhaust shop as the welds are super smooth. Rust is non existent on the actual unibody, just the normal surface rust on heatshields and front subframe. Front end is tight and even though the oil was really clean, I changed it for some Mobil full synthetic and a filter. Brakes look like they were recently done all around, and there’s no vibration even when stopping hard at highway speeds. I ordered a set of tires for it being the right rear is from 2012 and reallly cracked. The driver rear isn’t great either, but the fronts are new Continental summer tires. I have a set of all seasons on the way and I’ll probably have it aligned as it pulls slightly to the left on the highway. The steering wheel also shakes over 70 so hopefully the wheel balancing with the new tires will take care of it. Other than the oil change, I put a wiper on the back and took it 2 hours up to CT today. I’ll be taking a mileage reading when I get back, but it looks like I already averaged over 30 on the way there. A lot of that was driving at 65-80. I also threw a can of seafoam in the tank when I filled up.

I still need to check the air filter but judging by the rest of the car its probably good. I am also going to put a serpentine belt on it, and I’m contemplating a timing belt being it is 12 years old honestly I was expecting to have to put more money into it.. One last thing I noticed is a low creaking noise when making tight turns or turning the wheel at a dead stop. It sounds like a strut mount, and there was some rust under that rubber cap, but it doesn’t look that rotted out.

Old 11-26-2020, 04:05 PM   #33
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

Great.

We also had a minor vibration issue in the steering wheel sometimes around 65mph and that was a newish tire balance issue. We just swapped the right side wheels and test drove (no difference). We swapped the left side wheels (car rode perfectly after that). The weight probably feel off the front left wheel.

Maybe unrelated to your steering noise, but the drop links and tie rod ends can wear quickly on these cars. Easy and cheap to replace so check them before doing an alignment.

If you are replacing the serpentine belt, check the tensioner is in good nick and not bouncing all around. We replaced the tensioner a few times. . .

While the car is up on a rack, check the rear wheels spin freely. The e-brake cable can bind when oxidized and cause the rear pads to drag.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:34 PM   #34
Mgg4591

2008 Astra XR

Posted a video on the Astra to my youtube channel today. Heres a link:
https://youtu.be/ZIRcT-zUCAA
Old 12-04-2020, 03:32 PM   #35
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

Awesome video!

Post the link and story to astraownersnetwork, vauxhallownersnetwork, and the vxr site also; the Euros really like these videos.

Some ideas for content & maintenance.

PCM rarely breaks so don't buy an extra.

Throw out the K&N air filter. It causes problems with the MAF; popular problem. I see you already removed the K&N; now put it in the rubbish.

Clean the MAF (especially after the K&N oiled it). Clean the ThrottleBody as it gets very dirty, especially around the rim of the butterfly. These can make car drive much better.

Try using premium fuel; that wakes up the valves and seems to give a few more HP, which make a big difference on this.

When changing the timing belt, get the whole kit (belt, idler, tensioner). One of the bolts needs to be replaced also (maybe crankshaft but can't remember look at the forums) so you need to get that at the dealer (it is a critical bolt). There is a great timing belt thread here.

Does the car "diesel" for a few seconds at first start up in the morning? If so, there is a cam fix which is easy to do when you are changing the timing belt. If you don't hear that rattle, ignore this.

Rear part of exhaust is pretty robust.

Double check the tie rod ends on both sides. That 3-9 O'Clock noise went away when we replaced them. Popular wear issue on the Astra. This tightens steering and road feel a lot.

Wheel balance solved vibration in steering wheel at 70mph also for us. To test we swapped front and rear to diagnose, started left side then right side. Got tire shop to inspect and balance suspect tire/wheel. When aligned with good balanced tires these cars ride very smoothly (albeit loud).

I removed the door panel and some clips became unglued. 2-part epoxy worked fine and has held for a few years. I would recommend the same.

Be careful buffing under the headlights. The paint is failing so you risk just removing the paint. Perhaps wash, and maybe slightly polish with a very gentle liquid (or not), then wax.

Headlight polishing is a pain. I don't know what will protect them longer-term and haven't had any luck. So redoing the every year.

Check the antenna-roof gasket which fails. That is a difficult leak to fix. I put a bead of silicone 360* around that base where it meets the paint to prevent issues.

I removed the roof rails to repaint. There were 4 clips on each rail (on the 5-door). To remove, I started at the back and gently lifted the inside part towards me and worked forward. After the inside part was completely lifted, the outside just comes off. There seems to be some glue and oxidation that you need to sand and wash away; I also prepped with alcohol. High-temperature engine paint did not last, so I did two coats of flat rustolium which seems to matche the rest of the trim. Once this is fixed you won't notice it so don't put too much effort.

Paint correction. The Astra paint is pretty thin and delicate compared to say the premium paint on a top-end Buick. So use caution.

We also have a Honda Fit. The Astra feels smoother, quieter, more substantial, has more room, and is designed for Euro speeds; the seats are better. The Fit is more fun and is Honda quality (but has its defects).

Last edited by AstraFasta; 12-04-2020 at 03:45 PM. Reason: added some items
Old 12-04-2020, 10:31 PM   #36
C152
C152 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgg4591 View Post
Posted a video on the Astra to my youtube channel today. Heres a link:
https://youtu.be/ZIRcT-zUCAA
Hi Mgg4591,

Excellent video. Informative, well-presented, nice flow and I learned a lot. Really looking forward to the next one, the big clean up. Will be doing that in the spring on one of my 3DRs.
Kind Regards,
C152
2008 Astra 3dr XR (Opel)
2009 Astra 3dr XR (Vauxhall)
C152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 01:47 PM   #37
Mgg4591

2008 Astra XR

Thanks for the positive feedback! Unfortunately the tail light I got was for a 5 door and didnít fit. I had no idea they were different. I got some new chrome opel badges in today to swap out the black ones as I want everything to match. I also received the airbag cover, and now Iím waiting on a cap for the roof rack rail. One side was missing the plastic cover. Iím diving into the detailing on Monday, and hope to have everything done next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9B43EF52-8D77-49BF-89DB-85CC54E4B8FD.jpg (83.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-07-2020, 04:24 PM   #38
Mgg4591

2008 Astra XR

Can anyone tell me if I’m missing pieces of the spare tire kit? I can’t find a place to mount the jack, and looking at the manual it seems there is suppose to be another piece of styrofoam. This is everything I have:

Old 12-07-2020, 04:39 PM   #39
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

The Astra had several spare tire schemes around the world, and some cars did not have a spare.

Video #2 shows the components on our Astra (with steel wheels).

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2...ge_a_flat_tire

You have alloy wheels and a round foam piece that I don't recognize.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:57 PM   #40
Mgg4591

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraFasta View Post
The Astra had several spare tire schemes around the world, and some cars did not have a spare.

Video #2 shows the components on our Astra (with steel wheels).

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2...ge_a_flat_tire

You have alloy wheels and a round foam piece that I don't recognize.
Ok it looks like Iím missing the piece that sits inside the wheel and holds the jack. The flat piece I have looks like the piece underneath the part Iím missing in the video. You can see it when he pulls the styrofoam holding the jack from the trunk.