SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Old 10-27-2020, 07:24 PM   #21
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the rough

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Decision time - LW200

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasl22002 View Post
....although we are Florida, the Satty came from up North complete with rust . His brother's never been out of Florida 2002 SL2 (150K miles) has been brilliant and cost me very little in 6 years of him having it. The L300 on the other hand has been heavy on the wallet. i wouldn't go as far as to say a money pit, but still a chunk of change replacing stuff ruined by rust.
I went to pick up my dad's '01 to take it up to the garage today for a Brake & Service lamp on, I think he had 68K on it in '07 when he brought it up from Florida, I was surprised it it still only had 89K on it.

& yes as pristine as it was in '07. it's being done in by rust issues (underbody components, not the body.)

How do you folks drive so damn much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGraz View Post
Thanks - all good points.

IF we get rid of this car we probably wont replace it. As you can see from my signature, we have a Volvo V50 which is a slightly smaller wagon.

I considered looking for a more low mileage LW to replace it, but I don't want a V6 model. And I think they stopped using the 4cyl well before the car was dropped from the line. I suppose maybe I'd consider a 4cyl Vue, but most of those have a V6 too.
How is the Volvo? I'd consider a '05-12 V70, XV70 as my next vehicle, but I don't see too many if any V50's around here. The high price of repairs may scare me off.

Gotta watch the Vue's for underbelly rust as well.
Angry White Planet Ohth.... The REAL "Salt Life"!

Last edited by Bismarck318; 10-27-2020 at 07:34 PM.
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2020, 08:58 PM   #22
PaulGraz
Advanced Member
PaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to all

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck318 View Post
How is the Volvo? I'd consider a '05-12 V70, XV70 as my next vehicle, but I don't see too many if any V50's around here. The high price of repairs may scare me off.
The V70's are great, but not really "economy cars" - they tend to be thirsty, as they are kinda big and heavy. Look for one with the 2.5L inline 5 cyl turbo if you want the best reliability.

I'm not a fan of all wheel drive, so I can't tell you much about the V70XC's - they are more common than the FWD V70, but I keep seeing people reporting issues with some of the AWD components. A newer XC60 would be a better choice.

The V50 is great, but it wasn't popular, and people tend to hold onto them, so you don't see many around. It's a little smaller than the LW, but bigger than a SW. With the 2.5L inline 5 turbo, it really flies - and yet on the highway it only gets maybe 2mpg less than our LW200. Ours is an 11, the last year sold in the US - and Volvo only sold a couple hundred that year. We bought ours through the Overseas Delivery Program, which is really amazing. We picked the car up in Sweden and drove it around Europe for over 2 weeks. About a month later we picked it up at our local dealer. We were also able to get a Europe-only color, so there are only 4 others in the same color as ours in the US. We've got almost 80K on it, and it's been very reliable.

The V50, like the C30, C70, and S40 - are all built on Ford's C1 platform. So it shares some components with the European Focus and the Mazda 3 from the same era.

I really don't know why people think Volvo's are so expensive to maintain. I've got 212,000 miles on my C30. As you can imagine, it's needed a few things, because the same parts will wear out on any car with that many miles. I don't think any parts on my Volvo's really cost much more than Saturn parts. Yes, Volvo dealer service can be pricey, but I have an independent repair shop that I use that only works on Volvos, and he's much cheaper than a Volvo dealer. I wouldn't bring my Saturn to a GM dealer at this point either, for the same reason. The local Chevy dealer would surely rob me blind.
----
~Paul
2001 LW200 (4th saturn owned) 276K+ Miles!
71 Volvo 1800E, 73 Volvo 1800ES, 08 Volvo C30, 11 Volvo V50
Gone on to other owners: 92 SL2, 95 SW2, 96 SC2
PaulGraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:13 PM   #23
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the rough

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGraz View Post
The V70's are great, but not really "economy cars" - they tend to be thirsty, as they are kinda big and heavy. Look for one with the 2.5L inline 5 cyl turbo if you want the best reliability.

I'm not a fan of all wheel drive, so I can't tell you much about the V70XC's - they are more common than the FWD V70, but I keep seeing people reporting issues with some of the AWD components. A newer XC60 would be a better choice.

The V50 is great, but it wasn't popular, and people tend to hold onto them, so you don't see many around. It's a little smaller than the LW, but bigger than a SW. With the 2.5L inline 5 turbo, it really flies - and yet on the highway it only gets maybe 2mpg less than our LW200. Ours is an 11, the last year sold in the US - and Volvo only sold a couple hundred that year. We bought ours through the Overseas Delivery Program, which is really amazing. We picked the car up in Sweden and drove it around Europe for over 2 weeks. About a month later we picked it up at our local dealer. We were also able to get a Europe-only color, so there are only 4 others in the same color as ours in the US. We've got almost 80K on it, and it's been very reliable.

The V50, like the C30, C70, and S40 - are all built on Ford's C1 platform. So it shares some components with the European Focus and the Mazda 3 from the same era.

I really don't know why people think Volvo's are so expensive to maintain. I've got 212,000 miles on my C30. As you can imagine, it's needed a few things, because the same parts will wear out on any car with that many miles. I don't think any parts on my Volvo's really cost much more than Saturn parts. Yes, Volvo dealer service can be pricey, but I have an independent repair shop that I use that only works on Volvos, and he's much cheaper than a Volvo dealer. I wouldn't bring my Saturn to a GM dealer at this point either, for the same reason. The local Chevy dealer would surely rob me blind.
Thank you, that was informative! I'd be looking at an older one as old as '05 in the 120K -170K range as I only drive 5-6K a year, & preferably one the was spent its years in the South, the ones I'm seeing all were from the Great Lakes area Buffalo/Erie/Cleveland, thus I'm hesitant on the wear on the undercarriage, though these appear to hold up better that average in the caustic environment of Planet Ohth.

I'd be replacing my VUE, & perhaps selling my Elantra back to my brother before it gets mucked in the winters here. (It's nice working on a vehicle from the south again, & not worrying if something isn't rusted beyond repair & being able to actually get a bolt off without drilling it out.

The VUE wasn't a bad size just wish it was about a half foot longer at times.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:00 PM   #24
PaulGraz
Advanced Member
PaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to all

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
The VUE wasn't a bad size just wish it was about a half foot longer at times.
So that brings up a question - assuming you are folding the back seat down either way, which cargo area has a bigger footprint? A Vue or a LW? I always thought my LW seemed bigger, but I never owned a Vue
----
~Paul
Old 10-30-2020, 03:09 PM   #25
Bismarck318

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2006 VUE 3.5L

Interesting, I never hauled anything in the LW (yet) but I will imagine I may be driving it more. I'm thinking about the same as an illusion the LW may appear longer behind the rear seats but narrower I could be wrong, I'm a poor judge of distance. (I'd have to measure), there is a cargo cover in the LW. which may impede loading large objects.

One NICE feature on the VUE I often use is that the Front passenger seat folds flat like a table, allowing longer 8' boards to fit with the gate closed. Also, you get the higher roof.

Yes I wrap board ends in a blanket to avoid damage.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:31 PM   #26
PaulGraz
Advanced Member

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
... there is a cargo cover in the LW. which may impede loading large objects.
It pops out easily. I remove mine all the time - usually just lay it on the floor in front of the back seat.

The LW has been our "hauler" for almost 20 years now. I've brought home lumber, helped people move, large objects from stores, towed a trailer*. I've never needed more height, just more length.

*My trailer is one of those light duty fold-able Harbor Freight jobs, simlar to this one:

Towing the trailer with the 4 cyl LW200 has never been a problem. Actually I built the trailer when I still had the SW2.
----
~Paul
Old 10-30-2020, 04:57 PM   #27
Bismarck318

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2006 VUE 3.5L

When I say hauling, I meant just within the confines of the vehicle. A trailer hitch on any used vehicle I look at kind of throws up a red flag... Actually the first XC70 I looked at had a hitch.

That's the problem with the Elantra, I'm limited not to carry an 8 foot board which I often do & need that capability. To put the back seat down in it is also a 2 man operation too unfortunately.

I also have a '94 Camaro, and I remember carrying an 11 foot piece of molding with with rear hatch closed. Of course the molding had a little bend to it.

Carrying boards around isn't a daily activity for me, but still what I'd really find versatile now is an older S10, Ranger, Hardbody, or SR5, the manufactures simply wanted to turn the pickup into a huge luxury car without a trunk lid, & charge an astronomical price even though it's one of the cheapest vehicles to manufacture.

These older smaller pickups were actually practical vehicles, along with the minivans which are being phased out also. In my area if you find one it's usually has major body (& sometimes frame) cancer, loaded with miles & still pricy.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:36 AM   #28
PaulGraz
Advanced Member

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I thought I might update this thread. We still have the LW200, and it's now over 275K miles.

I started getting a thump-thump noise from one of the front tires. So I pulled all 4 tires one by one to check for damage, maybe a screw or nail in the tire - couldn't find anything visually. I suspect that I hit a pothole and caused internal damage to one of the tires. We're only using the car for short local trips now, so I'm not going to buy a new set of tires. If it gets that bad I have a set of mounted snow tires I can put on the car.

In the process of checking that out I found brake fluid on the inside of the passenger side rear wheel. Had the mechanic replace both rear wheel cylinders and new shoes. $300.

I still have a very slow coolant leak - only when the car is running. When I stop the car it leaves a few drops on the ground, near the front bumper. My best guess is that I'm losing a couple ounces of coolant for every 100 miles driven. I'm keeping a close eye on it, and I always have the Scan Gauge on the dash showing water temp.

I actually tried to sell the car a couple times to people looking for a cheap (under $1k) car. Oddly, the miles didn't scare them off, both potential buyers (young first time drivers) just didn't want a wagon! LOL, kids today...

The engine still runs like new. But I can't keep it another winter. By the fall it has to go away, one way or another. :-(
----
~Paul
Old 07-02-2021, 06:56 PM   #29
macarose
macarose is on a distinguished road

You should be able to sell it for around $1500. Just do the following.

1) Write an ad on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace and describe all the things you have done to keep it in good condition.

2) Take 24 pictures. Start on the front driver's side and give a guided tour of your vehicle. Pictures yield good customers and a reasonable return on your time. Also it's nice to take close-ups of a few cosmetic areas so that your audience knows exactly what they're getting.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/d/for...0lang&sort=rel

I've been doing this for nearly 20 years now. Typically I have between 30 to 40 vehicles posted but right now the market for used cars is just nuts. That's why you have a pretty good shot of getting that car sold for $1500.

All the best!

Steven Lang
macarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 02:40 PM   #30
PaulGraz
Advanced Member

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

That's all good advice, but I still wont get $1500 in my area. There are LWs with half my miles listed for a grand.
----
~Paul
Old 09-21-2021, 01:48 PM   #31
PaulGraz
Advanced Member

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Well - I didn't sell the car, still driving it now and then (on days when no AC is needed).

It's developed a clicking noise that matches speed, so I'm assuming it's something rotational - seems to be coming from the front. With 276K on the original axle/CV joints, that kinda seems like a likely candidate.

Looks like selling the car is out now, it might end up getting junked.

I'll drop by my mechanic and see what he says, but he knows I wont be spending too much on this car.
----
~Paul
Old 09-23-2021, 02:49 PM   #32
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

FWIW, I'd make you an offer on the car if I didn't live on the left coast. (If the car were mine, I'd be sad to see it end up in the wrecking yard as well.)
359K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weakened military; increased terrorism; an emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 02:53 PM   #33
SelfemploydL200
SelfemploydL200 will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Unfortunate to hear Also, amazing your car has 276k on the original front suspension components, that's more than my toyota van with 268k! of course it is well overdue for a lot too. I hope you atleast figure out what to do with your '02 Wagon and that clicking noise you have going on PaulGraz regardless.
2002 L200 "Rattler" 67,765 - 5/12/2021 (Mileage As Of Date)
2006 Kia Sorento EX "Workhorse" 91,046 - February 2021 (Mileage As Of Memory)
1989 Toyota Van CRG 268,030 - July 2021 (Mileage As Of Date)

Last edited by SelfemploydL200; 09-26-2021 at 02:58 PM. Reason: acknowledgement
SelfemploydL200 is offline   Reply With Quote