SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 01-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
robert16
robert16 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Question Vinyl wrapping?

Does anyone have any idea on how to vinyl wrap a car? I Can't find anything on the Internet on how to. I would like to wrap it in a black wrap but I don't know the process. It's alot cheaper and better than paining because it never fades and lasts about 5 years.
1998 Saturn SL2

Date purchased: 10/22/11 104.000 miles for $1,250.00
robert16 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
Redhotftw!
Advanced Member
Redhotftw! will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Vinyl wrapping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert16 View Post
Does anyone have any idea on how to vinyl wrap a car? I Can't find anything on the Internet on how to. I would like to wrap it in a black wrap but I don't know the process. It's alot cheaper and better than paining because it never fades and lasts about 5 years.
riddle me this, if it never fades then how does it last only 5 years?

Furthermore, it will be more expensive to do this then it would to get a Macco paint job. Vinyl is really easy though, thoroughly clean the surface and aply with a squeegee.
1998 "Red Hot" Sc2
Redhotftw! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
robert16

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhotftw! View Post
riddle me this, if it never fades then how does it last only 5 years?

Furthermore, it will be more expensive to do this then it would to get a Macco paint job. Vinyl is really easy though, thoroughly clean the surface and aply with a squeegee.
Oh I read that it's lasts 5 years and that it has a special uv coating to keep it from fading?
1998 Saturn SL2

Old 01-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
Sidneyaks
Sidneyaks is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

My guess (assuming the second statement is true, which is highly questionable, sunlight is nasty stuff) is that the adhesive is rated to last five years. Don't forget, any rock chips on the hood or anything like that will leave long tears in the vinyl.

I've never even heard of this myself, but I assume there is a peice of vinyl for each panel on the vehicle? If it were me I would make sure of that before I start applying. Also, since pretty much every panel on saturns are removable, I'd take them off of the vehicle, and find myself a dedicated dirt free work space.

Finally, if you are planning on keeping the car that long, you might look into what the adhesive will do to the paint underneath it. Not that I assume (given that you want to cover the car) it's in great shape, but when you do go to remove it, or you going to be taking off paint flakes from the few metal parts of the vehicle?
Read twice, Wrench once
Don't have time to do shade tree work, I'm a midnight mechanic.
Sidneyaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
It's alot cheaper and better than paining because it never fades and lasts about 5 years.
i don't think that either of those statements are true. vinyl wrapping costs almost as much as a decent paint job, needs to be applied by a trained professional and will crack, peel & fade.

but, go ahead, show us how it's done...

s3aturnr
"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
robert16

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post
i don't think that either of those statements are true. vinyl wrapping costs almost as much as a decent paint job, needs to be applied by a trained professional and will crack, peel & fade.

but, go ahead, show us how it's done...

s3aturnr
sorry i am just trying to get people opinion on the vinyl wrapping I am just stating what i've read about the wrapping. please dont think i am trying to be a know it all Im merely just stating what Ive read and heard about, and was just looking for some honest opinions.
1998 Saturn SL2

Old 01-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #7
gyrlspeedrt
gyrlspeedrt is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

It can be done...having said that think about the following: Cost: how much will all that vinyl really cost you in the end? Time: I've done vinyl jobs BUT I've never done a whole car. Even pinstriping takes a while. Do you feel comfortable completing a whole car vinyl job? Upkeep: Like S3aturnR said, it will definitely get damaged...after 1 week of putting my new graphics on, I had a couple noticeable rock chips... So all in all, it can be done. It will be a big b*tch tho when it comes time to remove it. Oh, it will dry out too...I don't care how good quality it is. Soooo, go for it!
GyrlSpeed Racing Team Performance
http://gyrlspeedracingteam.com
http://gyrlspeedracingteam.com/shop
GyrlSpeed App: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=gyrlspeed&hl=en
gyrlspeedrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Search & Rescue on SpikeTV used the guys at http://www.apewraps.com for the F350 & tri-axle trailer they're planning on driving all over the country to haul junkers out of places to restore 'em. They might even have the episode on TrucksTV.com so you can see how they did it.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Wrapping a vehicle is not easy or cheap. And yes, there is a reason for my user name.

The majority of vinyl actually intended for wraps is specialty stuff, with release patterns in the adhesive. This allows for easier application but at a cost. "Easier" in this sense is a relative term at that. In the overall scheme of things it's not something you want to do without some background and training on, unless you want to waste a lot of material. And when you're dealing with panels 3 to 4 feet wide you need a nice clean enclosed space to work in as well, otherwise a gust of wind lofts dirt and crap all over the adhesive side of a panel that might cost $10 a square foot or more.

Overall paint is tougher than vinyl. In applications without rocks and such scuffing it, vinyl can look good for much longer than 5 years if taken care of properly. And there are vinyls tougher made for on the front ends, etc. But for the average person that hasn't done it... probably a wasted thought.
Signmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:24 AM   #10
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Is the goal to change the color of the car? If so, just buy and install panels from a black salvage yard car (or a whole donor car, if possible) and paint the roof.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:46 AM   #11
robert16

1998 SL2

Okay looks like you have brought me to painting my car instead. Any idea on what color paint will look best on a saturn? I was thinking black. Any other ideas? Thanks for all your opinions highly appreciate it.
1998 Saturn SL2

Old 01-16-2012, 05:42 AM   #12
Sidneyaks
Sidneyaks is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

As far as painting goes, it usually IS cheaper to get panels from a junker saturn (or a few junker saturns of the same color) and a lot easier than painting. It's been done before. You might get weird looks from your neighbors though, and possibly a visit from the popo about changing the color of your car.

As far as color goes, I've always liked silver, it's nice and non attention grabbing.
Read twice, Wrench once
Don't have time to do shade tree work, I'm a midnight mechanic.
Sidneyaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #13
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Keeping a black car clean is impossible. Likewise dark green. Pick a color the more or less matches the local dirt color or buy an automatic car wash to erect in front of your garage so the car gets washed every day when you pullout of the garage.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #14
swansong
swansong is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2

Take a look at this thread. I think the result is quite nice considering the budget. Rustoleum paint job project on 01 SC-2 (NGKTECH)
Mine - 2002 Ford Focus SVT, 127k, Sonic Blue
Was mine - 2002 SL1, Auto, Cranberry, bought at a neglected 110k, sold at 125k
Wife's - 2000 SC2, Auto, 116k, Red, bought at a pampered 57k
swansong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #15
blue92
blue92 will become famous soon enoughblue92 will become famous soon enough

1992 SL1
1998 SC2

If you do go the Rustoleum route, keep in mind that the paint is not metallic. So, I would say your options are limited to black or white. If I were to do Rustoleum, I would do white. Also, keep in mind what color your interior is. Going the JY panel method is good for all but the roof panel as it is not easily removed, but doable from what I have read. I personally like some of the unique Saturn colors like the early bright greens. Black is difficult to keep clean, although I do like the old BlueBlack from Gen1. Gold is boring, and Silver is too safe and boring.
92 SL1 original owner
94 SL2 Homecoming
98 SC2 White Hot
02 SC2
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #16
Redhotftw!
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue92 View Post
If you do go the Rustoleum route, keep in mind that the paint is not metallic. So, I would say your options are limited to black or white. If I were to do Rustoleum, I would do white. Also, keep in mind what color your interior is. Going the JY panel method is good for all but the roof panel as it is not easily removed, but doable from what I have read. I personally like some of the unique Saturn colors like the early bright greens. Black is difficult to keep clean, although I do like the old BlueBlack from Gen1. Gold is boring, and Silver is too safe and boring.
you can get Rustoleum in SOO many finishes, metallic, flake, matte, eggshell, flat, gloss, etc.

Satin Olive Green with a tan interior would be sweet.
So would an eggshell or stain burnt orange
1998 "Red Hot" Sc2
Old 01-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #17
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I'm tempted to go white. In the event of a future mishap, it is probably the easiest color to match
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #18
gyrlspeedrt
gyrlspeedrt is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

Maybe I missed something but how is replacing all the panels easier than painting? Anywhooo, how jacked up is the overall car's exterior? Is it past replacing the panel(s) that are damaged and a good clay bar, polish, wax, etc. won't take care of the finish? Sidenote: how many rattlecans would it take to paint the car?
GyrlSpeed Racing Team Performance
http://gyrlspeedracingteam.com
http://gyrlspeedracingteam.com/shop
GyrlSpeed App: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=gyrlspeed&hl=en
gyrlspeedrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #19
Redhotftw!
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrlspeedrt View Post
Maybe I missed something but how is replacing all the panels easier than painting? Anywhooo, how jacked up is the overall car's exterior? Is it past replacing the panel(s) that are damaged and a good clay bar, polish, wax, etc. won't take care of the finish? Sidenote: how many rattlecans would it take to paint the car?
Answer.
1998 "Red Hot" Sc2
Old 01-18-2012, 12:47 AM   #20
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Okay looks like you have brought me to painting my car instead. Any idea on what color paint will look best on a saturn? I was thinking black. Any other ideas? Thanks for all your opinions highly appreciate it.
not just black; rattle-can flat black. go road warrior...

s3aturnr
"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote