SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 04-14-2021, 07:03 AM   #1
trainer
trainer is on a distinguished road

Default Upper engine mount available new

I have new in box upper engine mount for saturn .Got for my 95 sc2 but never used it so is available to member who neeeds one.Inderstand theres some inferior design ones out there but this one is the good desgn like OEM.

Idonated my sc 2 to a friend whse car was stolen and could not get to work so do not need thismount. will trade for cash or ultralight fishing reel like mitchell 408
trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2021, 09:33 AM   #2
jpsuli
jpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2
1999 SW2
Default Re: Upper engine mount available new

What brand is it? Saturn OEM or 3rd party?
'97 Saturn SL2 @ 146k (M. swapped) - In storage, awaiting an engine rebuild
'99 Saturn SW2 @ 92k (M. swapped) - Daily Driver

r/Saturn_Cars moderator
jpsuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:25 AM   #3
trainer

brand is MARMON RIDE CONTROL
THE RUBBER INSERT IS SOLID NOTTHE WACKO DESIGN OF CERTAIN BAD AFTERMAKET PRODUCTS. EVEN HAS 3 NEW THREADED MOUNTING STUDS.

iF i HAD NOT DONATED MY SATURN TO THE FRIEND WHOSE WORKCAR GOT STOLEN WOULD KEEP IT TO EVENTUALLY USE.
WANT IT PM ME.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:22 PM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

^^^ that's not the OEM mount, marmon also makes westar mounts.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:25 AM   #5
trainer

looks exactly like the original one that came with car new.maybe not madeby same company but looks like identical copy.anyone needs one this one is available cheaper .otherwise gets trashed forever
Old 04-24-2021, 12:22 PM   #6
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Where are you located? Somebody may be more interested if they can come by to get it, not have to pay shipping. I'm assuming that you would give it up for free at this point.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:00 AM   #7
BASL2
BASL2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Is there a currently available mount version that one should steer clear of? Needing to replace the one currently in my SL2.
BASL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:30 PM   #8
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASL2 View Post
Is there a currently available mount version that one should steer clear of? Needing to replace the one currently in my SL2.
BULLETIN NO.: 96-T-48

ISSUE DATE: August, 1996

GROUP/SEQ. NO.: Chassis-07

CORPORATION NO.: 686101

SUBJECT:
Service Information on New Design Upper Engine Mount Assembly
MODELS AFFECTED:
1992-1996 Saturns
PURPOSE:

This bulletin contains information on a new second design upper engine mount assembly. All 1996 Saturns built after and including VIN TZ371463 are built with a second design upper engine mount assembly (P/N 21012864). This second design upper engine mount assembly requires new, shorter engine mount assembly front cover studs (P/N 21007585). These new studs are 6 mm shorter than the old studs.

The second design upper engine mount assembly (P/N 21012864) should be used on 1996 vehicles built after and including VIN TZ371463 and 1997 vehicles.

Continue to use the first design upper engine mount assembly (P/N 21012185) on all 1992-1995 vehicles, and 1996 vehicles built before and including VIN TZ371462. Once stock in the first design upper engine mount assembly (P/N 21012185) is depleted, the second design upper engine mount assembly (P/N 21012864) can be installed on vehicles built after the VIN breakpoint.

To use the second design upper engine mount assembly on vehicles built before and including VIN TZ371462, the old, longer upper engine mount assembly front cover studs must be replaced with the new, shorter engine mount assembly front cover studs.

IMPORTANT : The procedure on the following page should be used for installation of both new and old upper engine mount assembly front cover studs. The installation procedure for the upper engine mount assembly front cover studs, in the "Powertrain Mounts" section of the 1991 - 1994, 1995, 1996 and 1997 "Chassis Service Manuals" is incorrect.
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:42 PM   #9
Zeebins
Zeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud of

1997 SL2

Interesting that Saturn was so specific about the studs, because they don't really seem to matter at all. The longer ones will defiantly work with either so I'm not sure why they would want them to be swapped out.

My 97 came with the shorter ones and I didn't switch them when going to the 1st design mount. They barely have enough threads for the nut, but there is still enough.
97 SL2, auto, 123K miles
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:56 PM   #10
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Maybe the problem is when going the other way, putting a new "short" mount onto the long studs; maybe the long studs are not threaded far enough for the nut to tighten on the shorter mount.

I wonder why they changed the mount at all???
Old 04-29-2021, 07:47 PM   #11
Zeebins
Zeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud of

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
I wonder why they changed the mount at all???
There was a lot of complaints about a rough idle in the first few years. One of the ways Saturn tried to fix it was with a softer motor mount. It ended up wearing out so quickly though they just went back to the 1st design.
97 SL2, auto, 123K miles
Old 04-30-2021, 01:00 AM   #12
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Yeah, the second design aka frowny collapsed and tore pretty quickly, though it did improve NVH.

the latest TSB said to discontinue second design and only use first design for all years

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O7E...FlbhwCipE/view
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:08 PM   #13
billr
Master Member

I guess what I am missing (wondering about) is why changing the design of the rubber part would require changing the aluminum part to a shorter one with shorter studs.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:26 PM   #14
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
I guess what I am missing (wondering about) is why changing the design of the rubber part would require changing the aluminum part to a shorter one with shorter studs.
Because the frowny mounts also has a slightly revised metal frame. An easy way to tell if you have a frowny mount without even looking at the rubber is the two bumps on the top. Never see anyone mention that difference

1st design/ solid mount on left, 2nd design/ frowny mount on the right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8A6EAFF5-8DDA-405F-9371-E55E51237FFF.jpg (134.2 KB, 10 views)
97 SL2, auto, 123K miles
Old 04-30-2021, 09:14 PM   #15
billr
Master Member

The picture confirms what I surmised, the "new" short mount could have easily had a bit more metal on the top, or you could simply add a few thick washers rather than fuss with new shorter studs. However, think of all the weight and money they saved with less metal in the short mount and studs!
Old 05-01-2021, 12:36 PM   #16
jpsuli
jpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2
1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Yeah, the second design aka frowny collapsed and tore pretty quickly, though it did improve NVH.
Would that mean if we went frowny and did a replacement yearly, like a wearable item, we'd have improved idle vibrations?

Honestly, for me, replacing it is a 10 minute job and I don't mind if it helps out.
'97 Saturn SL2 @ 146k (M. swapped) - In storage, awaiting an engine rebuild
'99 Saturn SW2 @ 92k (M. swapped) - Daily Driver

r/Saturn_Cars moderator
jpsuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 12:53 PM   #17
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuli View Post
Would that mean if we went frowny and did a replacement yearly, like a wearable item, we'd have improved idle vibrations?

Honestly, for me, replacing it is a 10 minute job and I don't mind if it helps out.
You’d have to experiment youself with various manufacturers to see what mount ends up being the softest at idle. The main problem with aftermarket TAMs is the crap rubber they use. While I’ve never personally used one , I’ve read they are just a little too stiff and wear out a lot faster. I doubt the frowny style aftermarket mounts would be using and different rubber. It’s essentially just a hole cut in the middle of it to allow more flex and in theory, less vibration travel to the chassis.
97 SL2, auto, 123K miles