SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 11-08-2021, 11:37 PM   #1
Brion1
Brion1 is on a distinguished road

Default I have a real head scratcher here?

Car in question is a 2003 Saturn ion 3 aisin Auto tranny.

I have a whack of engine and tranny codes and no check engine light. Only symptoms is seems to run in open loop and shifting is a little off.
Codes I will list are but a few.

Ect sensor out of range for closed loop. - live data shows a ok.
Cooling fan high voltage and low voltage. - cooling fan works fine and turns on at temp.
Starter high voltage and low voltage- no issues starting.
Ac relay high voltage and low voltage- works good.
02 senor heater low and high voltage- scanner says heater is working
Lost connection to ecm bcm and tcm. If u say so?
Tcm not programmed- swapped tcm, no change.
Incorrect gear ratio, incorrect shifts, etc.

So is my ecu ffffed or could this be as simple as a 02 sensor or am I missing something????
Brion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2021, 12:13 AM   #2
Brion1

Default Re: I have a real head scratcher here?

Side note, when I was changing oil pressure switch a month ago wrench fell and hit starter and sparked but no fuses blew. Not sure if that could fry it.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:30 AM   #3
Brion1

Just an update, the main ground to body on driver side engine compartment was pretty bad. Cleaned it up and most codes are gone now. Whatís left are
Ect sensor out of range for closed loop and both 02 sensor codes heater saying slow to react. So Iím guessinin ect is fine will have to monitor 02ís
Old 11-09-2021, 01:28 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Finding loose main grounds (at least two) contributing to false error codes must be a relief. Using a reader to monitor errors and live signals to interpret what's going on helps, especially when sharing info on public message boards.

Open loop mode always occurs with cold engines until coolant reaches around 140F(?) and the upstream O2 sensor heats up and beyond 600F before signals occur when the engine computer switches to closed loop mode (programmed emissions control). The coolant sensor output can be verified by comparing cold engine temperature to outside or garaged temperature before starting. After warm-up, most engine temps are around 195F or whatever the thermostat is rated for. These two temperature readings helps determine if the coolant sensor is operating or faulty.

O2 sensor heaters help accelerate heating to minimum operating temperature for signal output. A faulty heater in the upstream sensor delays switching from open to closed loop mode of emissions control.

EFI system sensors are expected to operate for emissions control to function. Any failure in one or more sensors halts emissions control, generates an error code or more until repairs are made to correct each fault. Simple errors turn off the check engine light on the next startup after correct repairs. Other errors may require up to three engine/driving cycles to ensure the error(s) aren't recurring before the cel is turned off. These errors remain as pending codes (with cel off) then erased automatically from memory. As you may or may not know, all EFI OBDII systems are monitored at every startup, drive and engine shutdown as part of mandated emissions control programs.

What are the actual error codes remaining?
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote