saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 10-29-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
syncro87
syncro87 is on a distinguished road

2000 SW2
2001 SL2
Default Soon to be new Astra owner

Some of you may or may not remember my ranting back around the time of the Astra launch regarding my inability to get any of the programs on the Astra at that time. I could not get the conquest cash because my VW was one year too old, my neighboring states all had a college grad discount but Missouri didn't, and I could not use my GM card points. I was pissed and Saturn would not budge. I felt that I fit the mold of who Saturn was trying to sell an Astra to, that being an import owner ( VW Golf, very near what an Astra is ), a previous Saturn owner, a GM cardholder, etc. No dice at the time, and I could not justify paying full retail at the time when someone in a neighboring state with a VW Golf a year newer than mine could save a bundle over my cost. So...

Thankfully, things have changed. I am currently able to buy an Astra at a very attractive price, and use some card points now that Saturn finally sees fit to accept them. The Saturn zone rep for my area is outstanding and has been a godsend. She found me what is a little of a rarity around here, a stick shift base car with AC and stability. I can't stress how helpful she has been. A credit to Saturn and GM. My faith in the system is restored.

Anyway, they are bringing the car in and I should have it probably next week. I'm stoked to be getting an Astra, finally. I look forward to being a part of this little community.

Soon: Salsa Red, XE, manual, A/C, stabilitrak, alloys.

Woo hoo!

Matt

Greater Kansas City area.
syncro87 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2008, 08:25 PM   #2
tskaling
tskaling is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Thumbs Up Re: Soon to be new Astra owner

congrats!

2008 Astra
XR, Blue, 5Dr.
Adv. Audio, Sunroof, Leather, Sport Susp.
tskaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:41 PM   #3
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Soon to be new Astra owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrickell View Post
Some of you may or may not remember my ranting back around the time of the Astra launch regarding my inability to get any of the programs on the Astra at that time. I could not get the conquest cash because my VW was one year too old, my neighboring states all had a college grad discount but Missouri didn't, and I could not use my GM card points. I was pissed and Saturn would not budge. I felt that I fit the mold of who Saturn was trying to sell an Astra to, that being an import owner ( VW Golf, very near what an Astra is ), a previous Saturn owner, a GM cardholder, etc. No dice at the time, and I could not justify paying full retail at the time when someone in a neighboring state with a VW Golf a year newer than mine could save a bundle over my cost. So...

Thankfully, things have changed. I am currently able to buy an Astra at a very attractive price, and use some card points now that Saturn finally sees fit to accept them. The Saturn zone rep for my area is outstanding and has been a godsend. She found me what is a little of a rarity around here, a stick shift base car with AC and stability. I can't stress how helpful she has been. A credit to Saturn and GM. My faith in the system is restored.

Anyway, they are bringing the car in and I should have it probably next week. I'm stoked to be getting an Astra, finally. I look forward to being a part of this little community.

Soon: Salsa Red, XE, manual, A/C, stabilitrak, alloys.

Woo hoo!

Matt

Greater Kansas City area.

Hi Matt,

Congrats! Bet you cant wait to pick it up! Hope you enjoy owning your Astra as much as many of us do!

Btw, Salsa Red, good choice If you keep it detailed it really is an amazing looking color
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:39 AM   #4
MINICooperS
MINICooperS is a jewel in the roughMINICooperS is a jewel in the roughMINICooperS is a jewel in the rough

Did the Saturn Astra (Opel) team come thru your neck of the woods a while back and let you drive one on a closed course? I did and it was sweet. They even brought free lunch! You could run it as hard as you wanted and they also brought VW's, Hondas, and Fords so you could drive them also to compare all of them. If my '95 SL2 ever dies I may pick one up.
Cheers!
MINICooperS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
syncro87
syncro87 is on a distinguished road

2000 SW2
2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINICooperS View Post
Did the Saturn Astra (Opel) team come thru your neck of the woods a while back and let you drive one on a closed course? I did and it was sweet. They even brought free lunch! You could run it as hard as you wanted and they also brought VW's, Hondas, and Fords so you could drive them also to compare all of them. If my '95 SL2 ever dies I may pick one up.
Cheers!
I don't think they came through here. I would have enjoyed that. When I used to work for a VW dealer, I attended a lot of events like that. VW would bring a bunch of cars together for comparison. I sold Audis too, and went to an Audi event at Road Atlanta once, got to drive a bunch of stuff hard in closed course conditions and on a skidpad. Awesome. That is where I got to experience stability control in adverse conditions, and was sold on it. I told myself the next new car I get, will have stab control.

Stability control being available is a prime reason we bought the Astra. We were ready to buy a Honda Fit, but found that to get SC you have to get the top end car with navigation, a $2000+- option, and ridiculous. We then opted for a Scion xD, but the visibility is poor, and boring/mushy to drive. I drove a Pointiac Vibe, standard stability, but horrific visibility to the rear/sides, just really awful. Turns a great package completely sour. Mazda 3, to get stability you have to buy a premium trim level, and opt for the big engine we didn't want ( hatch ). Trying to find a small hatchback with stability control that doesn't break the bank is not easy in the US. My wife and I are pretty much confirmed VW fans, and the Astra reminds us a lot of our VWs. We crossed the VW Rabbit off our list since you can't, insanely, get a 4-door with the stick shift. Only a 2-door. Add to that the fact that we've probably owned literally 20 Volkswagens, and have 3 now, but they wouldn't give us the owner loyalty incentive, our cars aren't new enough. No regrets. Our only concerns going with the Saturn are questionable resale and parts/service availability outside a dealer. We may have just bought the next Merkur Scorpio, we'll see...
syncro87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:57 PM   #6
IONfan2
IONfan2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
1996 SW2

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy your new Astra!
2002 SC2 (78,000 miles) I LOVE my Saturn! =]
IONfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:46 AM   #7
ad_astra
ad_astra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Wow, I didn't realize VW was dropping the manual from the 4-door version of the rabbit, that's about the dumbest thing they've done in quite some time.... one more reason I'm glad I got an astra!
2008 Twilight Blue Saturn Astra XE, 5-sp manual, a/c, and loads of fun
ad_astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #8
LotusLord
LotusLord is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

I was pretty surprised as well to see them drop the manual on the 4 door Rabbit. Must have been a poor seller.
LotusLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #9
paulff3
paulff3 will become famous soon enoughpaulff3 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrickell View Post
We may have just bought the next Merkur Scorpio, we'll see...
Great line. Man, I hope not.
15 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Manual
14 BMW 435i M Sport 6speed
08 XR 5 speed - Blue with 3M film - SOLD!
03 Acura CLS 6speed - Silver with 3M film - SOLD!
paulff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:21 PM   #10
m100
m100 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad_astra View Post
Wow, I didn't realize VW was dropping the manual from the 4-door version of the rabbit, that's about the dumbest thing they've done in quite some time.... one more reason I'm glad I got an astra!
It was actually a little difficult for my to find a 5 speed Astra at the Saturn dealer. The website didn't reflect the actual inventory. I only recall 2 5 speed Xrs on the lot,one fully loaded , and one that was base everything which is what I preffered. I preferred blue but since it couldn't be found, I went with red instead.
"I love hot hatches..." Jeremy Clarkson

2008 Saturn Astra XR - Daily Driver
2005 Lotus Elise - Track Car
1991 Lotus M100 Elan - Project Car
m100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #11
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by m100 View Post
It was actually a little difficult for my to find a 5 speed Astra at the Saturn dealer. The website didn't reflect the actual inventory. I only recall 2 5 speed Xrs on the lot,one fully loaded , and one that was base everything which is what I preffered. I preferred blue but since it couldn't be found, I went with red instead.
When I got mine, there were a couple 3 doors equipped like I wanted and one 5 door that was perfect, Black Sapphire, 5 speed, sport package and heated seats
Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:52 PM   #12
LotusLord
LotusLord is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

As I've said before the majority of Astras at my local dealer before I moved were stick. They had 10 Astras on the lot last time I was there, 1 was auto.
LotusLord is offline   Reply With Quote