SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 08-23-2021, 05:44 AM   #1
that1man
that1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nice

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Engine head replacement 07 ion 2.2

Anyone know if this head will need lots of parts to complete or will come pretty much ready to install, just need ming the rod pieces on top. I think I'd rather get a new head "with valves" than take it to a shop where some guy told me it's $80 just to look at it. It'll probably cost more than the cost of this new head for them to repair/shave it. Would you guy go the same route? Is the cost of a new head with valves gonna add up after other parts I may need?

Thanks

Last edited by that1man; 08-23-2021 at 05:59 AM.
that1man is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2021, 08:40 AM   #2
that1man
that1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nice

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Engine head replacement 07 ion 2.2

EDIT: I forgot to paste the link..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-2L-L61-OE...-127632-2357-0

Also, I forgot to mention that I was looking to get a head gasket kit that comes with new bolts. Is that all I will need for this job?
Old 08-23-2021, 11:02 AM   #3
rjc862003
rjc862003 is a jewel in the roughrjc862003 is a jewel in the roughrjc862003 is a jewel in the roughrjc862003 is a jewel in the rough

depends on the seller but usually they only come with valves if anything
I would replace everything in the top end that you can do lifters, vvt actuators if its got it
its simply not worth shade treeing it only to have it fail again in 30k

also the one you posted does not have EGR if you need it you need a different head

your post history tells me you are in over your head I sucks I know but best just write the check and get it done right done incorrectly will immediately double your costs

it really sounds like your 07 has had a hard life with little to no maintenance
change the O I L (THIS this matters a ton on these cars dirty oil is death for timing chains)

and don't thrash on them and the motor should have made it to at least 150-160k before needing any attention

everybody I have talked to has seen these cars do well over 200k without major problems some even are reporting 300k or more
rjc862003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 02:15 PM   #4
that1man

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

The car was fine and I knew the timing chain needed replaced. My mechanic even told me, I procrastinated. Literally the day I was going to have it and the water pump replaced the chain snapped while sitting idle I'm a walmart parking lot. I think It has about 140k or more on it, can't remember

This is the kit I was going to get. Does it seem right.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Head-Gasket...-127632-2357-0

And your right, in over my head. Which is why I have someone who knows a thing or 2 helping me.

Thanks!

EDIT: the seller said the head needs a kit and camshafts so hopefully that means it has everything else you mentioned. I'll ask to be sure.

Would you personally re build and clean the old head or just replace it along with parts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210823-131037_Gallery.jpg (224.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210823-131030_Gallery.jpg (233.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210823-130959_Gallery.jpg (213.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-23-2021, 07:39 PM   #5
rjc862003
rjc862003 is a jewel in the roughrjc862003 is a jewel in the roughrjc862003 is a jewel in the roughrjc862003 is a jewel in the rough

idk whats the other side of the head look like ?
what do the pistons look like ?

depending on how deep the damage is it might just need a deck and hand cleanup of all the surfaces (head + piston)

and of course replace the valves And the guides if needed

it doesn't need to be perfect you just need to remove any deep scaring or galling and smooth out any and all hard edges in the combustion chamber and piston

hard edges and deep galling (greater then the depth of your finger nail) can create hotspots which lead to Pre detonation you wanna clean all of that up smooth out any edges or transitions around any damage clean up any major damage with carbide and then wet sand until smooth

just take it to any machine shop and have it decked have them put new valve seals and guides in it should be no more then 75 to 150 bucks out the door if it is find anouther shop

honestly its just a ecotec they are pretty much 500 bucks at any junk yard

if its too far gone I would just go that route pickup a junk yard motor do the timing set out of the car when its easy and drop it in
rjc862003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 01:10 PM   #6
that1man

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Here are a few images of the other side. I'm not sure about the pistons, forgot to take pictures while I was with the car

I have been looking at YT vids on how to clean cylinder heads and just engine heads in general. I'm thinking of trying to do it my self and just asking the guy who helped me remove it to help me reinstall it and for tips if I get stuck maybe. Is it a bad idea tobreuse the old guides? Or use break cleaner and whatever grit sandpaper? I see people in YouTube comments suggesting against using "abrasive" chemicals/materials. Also, I was thinking of submerging the head in water while cleaning. Is that OK?

When replacing valves, guides, etc. is there anything special that a shop would do that you would recommend letting them do instead of doing it myself? How would I tell if things NEED to be replaced? I took some pics, can you check em out and tell me if everything looks like it's in good condition? Uploaded a video as well in case it helps.

https://streamable.com/btlbfn

I called a engine head cleaner shop or machine shop and a guy wouldn't give me an estimate, instead he told me to bring the head to him and he charges $80 to look at it. Does that seem fair or common? Wonder if that 80 goes towards getting anything done. I told him it was a value issue from the timing chain snapping. He insisted I pay 80 and go from there. Kinda pushy.

I plan on getting some tools needed like a precision straight edge, scrapper degreaser, sand paper etc. and whatever replacement parts I need. Definitely a gasket kit. Question: is gasket kit and gasket set the same thing? Also, have you ever heard of one using a cordless belt sander for sanding the surface flat?

I saw this vid..

https://youtu.be/HyKN52HD6RU

He worked his way from 80 grit to 120 grit sandpaper as to not damage the surface. Would you say this "poor man's shaving method" approach is acceptable? I was gonna go off of what he did. Thoughts?

I've thought about buying a new head and purchasing any parts it doesn't come with that I need but since I already learned a thing or two I figured why not see if I can tackle this myself. Would make me proud. You saying replace the whole engine?? Does a new head come with the valves set how they're supposed to be or do they have to be adjusted or something? Sorry for all the questions all over the place. Just trying to get a clearer understanding before I decide

Thanks for your response so far and thanks in advance!
Old 10-09-2021, 10:26 PM   #7
that1man

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc862003 View Post

also the one you posted does not have EGR if you need it you need a different head
How can I find out if I have this?

Also, how could I tell if the hydraulic lifters can be reused or need replacing? Got a new head that came with new valves, valve guides springs, retainers, keepers, studs, even came with the pieces that hold down the camshafts (don't know what they're called). Got the gasket kit and spark plugs. Ready to install it. Just need to find out about the litters