SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 09:18 AM   #1
skijay
skijay will become famous soon enough

Default Replacement of a fender

My friend called me to tell me that his 95 SL2 got hit in the front causing the driver's side fender to split open. That appears to be the only damage as it was low speed <5mph. I remember that when I bought my 96 SL2 new, that the sales rep told me that if you ever need a panel, Saturn corp. can send one painted from the factory so it can be bolted on to replace the damaged panel. (not painted by the dealer) I think I will help replace the fender by trying to find one either new or used in the same color. According to the shop manual, there are only 8 bolts and some clips. Has anybody ever heard of getting a factory part (in the original color) from the factory or has anybody had any luck finding used?
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2002, 01:50 PM   #2
gsr
gsr is on a distinguished road

Post fenders

All Saturn body parts come from the factory in a gray primer on polymer parts, and a black primer on metal parts. New or used, your friend will have to get his fender painted to match his car. If you can find the correct part, in the correct color, from a wrecking yard, the color will still not match exactly because of different exposure to the elements. However, you may decide that is good enough. It's a judgement call. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:21 PM   #3
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Joe at www.6thplanetusedparts.com may be a good source.

However, as mentioned before, even the same paint color may not match because of different fading.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:49 PM   #4
skijay
skijay will become famous soon enough

I was looking for the website for used parts, thanks for posting it!! Since the car is the gold, the estimate is calling for replacement of fender and painting the side and hood to match. I am advising my friend to just get the fender painted and have them blend the paint as close as possible. NO WAY would I want a perfectly good paint job on the rest of the car compromised with new paint. I am also suggesting to find a used fender in the gold, at least it is factory. BTW my 97SL2 with the gold metallic looks as if it was repaointed, because of the way the metallic chips were applied. If it was my car I would take a used gold fender or just have them match a new fender as close as possible. Are the 91 thru 95 fenders identical
Closed Thread