SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 06-24-2016, 11:50 PM   #1
Wreckapotamus
Wreckapotamus is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default 2000 LS2 V6—Feels like it's Misfiring

Alright so this turned into a monster of a post, so I put the most important information in bold text. The rest is just some recent history and background info on the car that you may or may not need to lend me some advice.

So, I've had my car about a year and it's got roughly 120,000 miles on it. About three weeks ago the starter went out on it and I had to have it towed to a shop and fixed. Shop said the reason the starter went bad was due to an oil leak that had leaked down the valve cover and onto the starter and eventually ruined it.

Anyways, the car started perfectly after I got it out of the shop. I waited two weeks to save some money and took it back to the shop to get the valve cover leak fixed. They fixed the leak in both valve covers, the EGR gasket, and also changed the spark plugs and coil packs. They only did the spark plugs and coil packs because the spark plug holes were full of oil, and the coil packs were original and were probably going to be due for a replacing in the near future. (The intake manifold is also blocking the way to the coil packs, and it's roughly four hours of labor to get to them or so they said).

I get the car out of the shop and it runs pretty nice (shifts between the gears are even smoother than before). I'm a skeptic though, so I slid a piece of cardboard under the car when I got home and let it sit. It was still leaking oil from the oil drain plug, and there was also some coolant coming out of the radiator fitting. I was kind of peeved about the leak, because the engine was so damn dirty I couldn't confirm that the oil was coming from the drain plug and not just residual runoff from another leak. The check engine light also came on later that day when I was driving to work.

I called the shop, and they said bring it back we'll degrease the engine for free and identify if there is another leak. They confirm it's the drain plug and the radiator fitting, but they also told me the transmission pan is leaking too. I get my quotes, take my car home and when I get up to take it to work this morning it is driving like complete and utter ****.

When I start the car it kind of sputters and misses a lot. It feels like it's barely staying on and after a moment the RPMs spike up to two before falling again. It also makes a kind of clunk right when it starts. Check engine light was off when I got the car out of the shop for the last time, but it came back on this afternoon when it was misfiring. I've been Googling left and right what the likely causes are, but I wanted to hear some feedback if you have anything to offer.

Last edited by Wreckapotamus; 06-24-2016 at 11:59 PM.
Wreckapotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2016, 12:27 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2000 LS2 V6—Feels like it's Misfiring

You can save some grief by not guessing what's wrong when the check engine light turns on. A visit to Autozone or any auto store that will freely retrieve stored error codes will plug in their reader to display codes. Have a friend with his own personal to borrow? Many error codes are prefixed with the letter 'P' followed by four(4) numbers. Write down all error codes, decline suggestions about parts replacement and post them here. You can also search for error code definitions using Google or your favorite search engine to learn what they mean.

With little car history to go on, 120k miles means the timing belt, water pump and fuel filter were due for replacement after 100k miles. Erratic engine running can be from faulty sensors, a fuel or ignition issue, even a failing alternator. Retrieving error codes is the best place to start besides suggestions given. Guessing is easy, diagnosing and troubleshooting are a little more difficult but can determine where a problem lies.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:45 PM   #3
Wreckapotamus
Wreckapotamus is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Alright, so I've got a bit of an update. Took the car to Autozone, and the code is for the Air Mass Sensor. I can't honestly tell you what that is, but before I took it I did some extra looking under the hood and found a vacuum hose that was disconnected. Reconnecting it helped a bit, but you could still hear hissing like there's another hose disconnected somewhere else.
Wreckapotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:11 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Please post actual error codes, not what they mean. Misinformation begins by omitting error codes leading to possible misinterpretations by anyone delaying help with diagnosing problems. Accuracy depends on initial descriptions of symptoms along with actual error codes.There can many error codes pointing to the same sensor for several reasons; loss of connection, loss of reference or supply voltage, damaged sensor, and the most difficult diagnosis - pointing to something in common to one or several different error codes requiring more than casual knowledge of EFI systems.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote