SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 11-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
kaboom133
kaboom133 is on a distinguished road

Default LS2 won't start

I just replaced the thermostat on my 2000 LS2 and I doesn't start now. When I turn the key on the fuel pump comes on like usual but doesn't turn off in a second or two like it did before. The car sounds like it almost fires every couple of revolutions but that's it. I am getting pressure to the rail, but I'm not sure how much.

It sat for a week apart before I put everything back together, so I may not have put everything in the right spot.

My main concern is the plug on the harness for the fuel injectors. There was a plug right before the injector plugs and I couldn't find what plugged into it. I would imagine this has something to with the pump not shutting off, and my car not starting. Anybody know what goes there, or anything else I could have messed up that would cause this?
kaboom133 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2012, 03:25 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: LS2 won't start

4 or V6 engine?
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
kaboom133

It's the V6.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
kaboom133

Here's a picture of the lonely plug
Old 11-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Its difficult to see this plug (blurry). There may be more than one issue here and whether or not this plug has anything to do with the fuel pump not shutting off. Even with the pump not shutting off, the fuel pressure regulator still maintains pressure as if the engine were running. Since you know the pump should be off after 2-seconds at ignition ON time, this may be the only hint of starting problems.

1-A search within Saturnfans should have pressure specs between 39-48(?) psi. Fuel squirting out the fuel test valve would be a crude but sufficient test before resorting to a pressure gauge. What you may not be sure of is whether or not the injectors are firing.

2-Fuel injectors are fused. Be sure to check for a blown injector fuse. The only other way to know if injectors are working is to remove spark plugs and check them for fuel.

3-Spark is difficult to test for.

4-If there were many starting attempts without the engine firing and fuel was injected, there's always a possibility of fuel flooding and grounding all or most of the spark plugs. The easiest cure and test would be to floor the gas pedal completely while trying another start. Try for a few seconds then stop to give the battery and starter a rest before trying again. Hold throttle wide open and try again. Repeat at least two times until the engine sputters to life then release the pedal for a normal warm up. Wide open throttle at start up tells the ecm to shut off injectors.

With the maf sensor off, you should be able to verify throttle plate opening/closing by having someone press the gas pedal with ignition on. Test the throttle since its all electronic. Reconnect the maf sensor and intake tubing after this. Be sure the maf sensor clamps are used to prevent air leaks.

Another way to help with flooding would be to remove the fuel pump fuse or relay; one or the other will prevent the pump from running to help dry out the cylinders and plugs. Keeping the throttle wide open will ensure excess air is ingested without fuel - a sputtering start may occur but without any fuel replacing the fuse or relay will allow starting from the beginning. Be sure to turn off ignition when removing or replacing fuses, relays, electrical connections, etc.. Don't create more problems with ignition on and disconnecting/reconnecting electrical/electronic parts - this can confuse the ecm and can cause additional problems.

5-Examine all electrical connections again by the area with the unknown connector. Is the orange gasket worn or dirty from being left to exposure for years or is it relatively clean as if this was supposed to be connected to something? Look over all connections again to see of hurrying caused incorrect connections. Look carefully, over, under, around wiring harnesses to be sure there isn't a hidden connector dangling and out of view. Use your fingers to feel for a missing connector that's hiding.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
kaboom133

I don't have a fuel pressure gauge but I will try to rent one from the parts store. fuel did squirt out of the test valve with a good bit of force.

As far as the rest of it, I will check it out after work tonight and post results.

Thanks for the thorough reply!
Old 11-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
kaboom133

After making sure there were no blown fuses, I tore everything back down and made sure everything was properly plugged in/connected. as I was putting it back together I checked all the plugs for corrosion and vacuum lines for clogs. The line from the throttle body to the fuel pressure regulator was clogged. After Clearing the blocked line and re-assembling, it started without any problem.

Thanks for your help fdryer