SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 12-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
Firestarter
Firestarter is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default ABS Light on and rear driver side wheel locks up shortly after going forward.

I just repaired a brake line for the rear driver side wheel and now the wheel locks up shortly after going forward and the ABS light is staying on. I have no problem going in reverse just forward even went a long distance in reverse.

Note a while back my wife was driving and the same wheel locked up and just going in reverse and then forward and it was fine for a few months. She can't remember if the ABS light showed up but everything was fine and I could not notice anything wrong.

I also had to free up the brake pads because they looked like they stopped working and the rotor was starting to get some surface rust on it.
Firestarter is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: ABS Light on and rear driver side wheel locks up shortly after going forward.

What failed to make you replace the brake line? When repaired, was the line bled? Presuming these are rear discs, did you check and repair/replace worn parts? Is the e-brake working correctly and not causing the lock up?

Rear disc brakes only have the e-brake mechanism and rear brake shoes to complicate the rear system. Be sure to go over everything carefully and eliminate the disc pads/rotor/slide pins from the parking brake mechanics. The brake mechanics is just a miniature version of brake drums and familiarization with drum brakes should make it easy to inspect, troubleshoot, repair, and replace anything.

For now, ignore the ABS light; it means ABS isn't available but the brakes still work as they always did before ABS became available - wheels will lock up in emergency braking in panic stops otherwise the brakes work in normal stop and go driving. ABS only works in emergency stops when a wheel locks up to release the locked wheel to allow traction and then brake that wheel again, repeating as many times as needed while preventing any wheel from locking up and causing a skid. Anyone familiar with braking and never panic stopped to cause ABS to turn on (the pedal vibrates loudly against the foot) can still drive any car without ABS. It disables itself from interfering with braking, that's all. You can drive the car forever without ABS. Fix the brake from locking up and then turn your attention to the ABS issue.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:07 AM   #3
Firestarter

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: ABS Light on and rear driver side wheel locks up shortly after going forward.

Brake line broke and had to be repaired disc brakes and the pads looked like they were rusted in place and not working so I removed them cleaned up the rust on the caliper and brake pad and put them back in. Discs were slightly rusted from sitting while I got parts. But the pads also looked like they were froze in place. We never use the parking brake. And the line was bled after the repair. Goes about 100 feet before they lock up going forward. Then makes a grinding noise for a short time after going in reverse.

Should I replace pads and rotor?
Old 12-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Do your rear discs use the inner portion as drum brakes? Have you ever removed the discs to inspect the parking brakes?

To clear up any confusion; disc brakes use brake pads, drum brakes use brake shoes. A never-used parking brake may have rusted/rotted over the years and may be the cause of brake lock up and may not be the disc brakes causing the lock up. You'll have to remove the rotor to see everything. There may be a flush head phillips screw holding the rotor to the wheel hub, requiring unscrewing this fastener before the rotor can be removed.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:48 AM   #5
Firestarter

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Now that I think about it the parking brake cable looked a little rough. I checked everything out a couple years ago when I replaced the pads and rotors. But would not hurt to see what is going on in there. Dang parking brakes I never use them. Hope that's not it the cable is expensive for something I don't use. Thank you for your time and advice.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

FYI: the parking brake is to be used any time the vehicle is parked and your owner's manual will tell you this. While the car will stay in place with the transmission set in park, failing to use the parking brake places an excess load-too much weight-on the parking paul (what "locks" the trans. and keeps the wheels from turning), especially when parked on an incline. Every car or truck on the road is meant to be parked with both items being used.
374K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weaker military; more terrorism; emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad... now Russia?!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
Firestarter

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Dad took it apart while I was at work and noticed it was the parking brake. All it was is the clip and spring that holds the parking brake shoe in place. We put it back together and it works great and got the abs light off by bleeding the brakes again.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Great news - happy to learn that all is working well!
374K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weaker military; more terrorism; emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad... now Russia?!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
Firestarter

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Thank you everyone for the advice. I really like the car.