SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 09-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
theridler8
theridler8 is on a distinguished road

Default 2000 LS2 - Won't Start

2000 LS2 ~91,000 miles.

The car has no recent history of the check engine light or ses light being on. While stuck in a traffic jam (had radio, fan on, daytime runlights on) the car died/stalled. I restarted the car, drove a few hundred feet and it died again. This time I could not get it restarted it (kept trying to start it, probably at least 20 or more times, and then the battery seemed dead). Pushed the car down the street, got a jump, it actually started, just to drive it 50 feet across the street into a service station. Note: I did not have a battery light or the security light come on.

At the service station, they replaced the battery, as the one in the car was dead. However, the car still won't start (double checked the new battery with a volt meter to be sure it wasn't bad), after a few minutes of checking fuses, they want me to replace the BCM. I understand that the BCM is a common failure with these cars, however, I didn't experience any of the "weird" symptoms that typically come along with that (lights, horn, wipers,windows,locks,etc).

Is it more likely that it's just an intermittent issue with the crank position sensor and the battery was just the doing of the traffic and my trying to get the car restarted?

Are there other things I should have them check first? For example, I'd much rather replace a $30 CPS sensor over a $300 BCM.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.
theridler8 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2000 LS2 - Won't Start

Shotgun approach; replace the cps.

The repair shop may know more than they want to reveal by stating the bcm failed since its costs more and there's some profit in it. Besides that they can't replace it anyway since it can only be programmed by GM and no one else.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
Driver53
Driver53 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

How old was the battery? Is it possible the battery was already on its last leg?

When you say car wont start, does it (with the new battery) still crank hard but not turn over?

Im not a saturn guy but (w/ the exception of the battery death) the symptoms in first paragraph sound like it could be fuel related (pump, relay, whatever setup this car might have).

Good luck!
Driver53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
BuzzStPoint
BuzzStPoint is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

i've heard bcm, pcm, computer in cars being a "common problem". I beg to differ. AT 34 now, i've been working on cars since i was 14. I only replaced 2 computer in cars. one was a flooded car.

I think you should test the fuel pressure first.
BuzzStPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
Jackfrost8
Jackfrost8 will become famous soon enough

Follow fdryer advice.... I had the same problem, I replace the cps... problem gone. Once again, thanks fdryer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Shotgun approach; replace the cps.

The repair shop may know more than they want to reveal by stating the bcm failed since its costs more and there's some profit in it. Besides that they can't replace it anyway since it can only be programmed by GM and no one else.
2000 Saturn LS2 (6-cyl) 3.0L MFI DOHC 6cyl
Jackfrost8 is offline   Reply With Quote