SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 11-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Avitar408
Avitar408 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
Default Cylinder misfire leak-down results

This is the 4th engine misfire in the past 3 years , each with a completely different cause. The past causes (all fixed), in order:

- Bad EVAP purge solenoid.
- Burned Exhaust valve on #3 (this one built up over time)
- Bad ICM

See my previous posts for more details on above.

This time, #4 misfire. Compression test shows about 220/240 for dry/wet test on #'s 1-3, and 110/110 for #4.

I used the compression test hose to do a DIY leakdown test (drawback of no gauges of course) and at TDCC for #4, air was hissing into the exhaust manifold at a 20 PSI air input. Air hissed into the exhaust manifold throughout all 4 strokes as I was manually turning the engine over.

The engine misfires mostly when it is strained, particularly when in 4th gear at about 1,800-2,100 RPM and when accelerating in 4th and 5th gears. If I maintain about 2,100 RPMs or higher in 4th and 5th, the SES light stops blinking until I start to coast. I don't get the blinking SES light at idle or in the first 3 gears, but it is a little rougher then I would like at idle.

This happened pretty suddenly, the loss of power and subsequent misfire, and that made me wonder... Could this just be caused by a carbon buildup on the exhaust valve or seat? The car DOES burn about a quart of oil every 300 miles, although when I remember to throw in a quart of ATF after an oil change it goes to a quart every 600-800 or so miles.

Or does this mean either the exhaust valve or seat is trashed? I checked all the valves when I replaced the #3 exhaust valve about 7K miles ago and they were within spec and in really good condition, so I didn't bother replacing them. The seats were all in immaculate condition as well.

Any thoughts?
96 SC1 5 speed, 185K Miles
Owned since 2004/ 87K
Previously: 95 SL1 5 speed
Owned from 02-04/ 84K-145K then Totaled :-(
Avitar408 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Cylinder misfire leak-down results

#4 is the highest temperature cylinder due to the EGR passage. Why just depends on the previous failures. Exhaust leaks may adversely effect the mixture as well.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote