SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 05-10-2021, 10:19 AM   #1
havai
havai is on a distinguished road

Default L100 rear drum brakes question (diagram needed)

I have a 2002 L100, which still runs quite well, except for a recurring rear brakes problem. (which helped prompt the original owner to give up on it, after multiple visits to the same local mechanic shop) I've searched the forum here, and apologies if I missed previous coverage of this issue.

The problem: hardware inside the rear drum brakes keep falling off (sic). I have the service record from the original owner, and see that new drums, shoes, spring sets, etc. were installed about 3 years, less than 10k miles, ago.... My hunch is that they were installed incorrectly. (but I could be guessing wrong)

After the first new installation, on 3 subsequent occasions, previous owner would notice various noise issues from back brakes -- leading to the discovery that springs and such had come off -- literally -- and then mechanic shop would order this or that new spring set, new drums, etc. -- but, long story, short, not solving the issue. (hardware again has been falling off) My reasoned hunch is that this mechanic installed the brake shoes "backwards" (?) on both sides -- with the connecting parking brake plate preventing the adjuster from properly seating into the slot on the back of both brake shoes. (Instead, the adjuster notch on the trailing side lamely, but not securely is up against the parking brake connector plate (which is on top, not underneath, the backside of the shoe, as it would be on other 2002 Saturn models.... Yes, I've seen RichPin's video for a drum brake job on an S-series Saturn.... Are they supposed to be the same as the L-series drum brakes, or not? If the same, then I've isolated the problem, but not sure....)

I do have several decades of family experience with diy repair of various GM models, including with drum brakes. (on the Montana, Caprice, etc.) But in every previous experience, I could always find detailed diagrams to reference. But in this case, I'm not finding any precise diagrams anywhere!!??? (not in Chilton or even AllData online. Chilton does have a series of images for the job, but they are frustratingly unclear on my key question -- namely, where should the adjuster be positioned -- in the notch on the back of both shoes, or, (perhaps bizarrely) on the parking brake plate.... as the vehicle came to me.

So maybe the previous mechanic shop also was using the AllData, and then as there's shockingly nothing there, he guessed wrong as to how to put it all back together. Or maybe he got it right, and I'm the one way off base....

Thanks for anybody reading this -- and offering from your experience and images just how to do back drum brake jobs on the L-Series. (I can post images of how it's currently installed.)

ps: please, no homilies about 1. checking/photos of the good side as a reference guide for the problem side, (my suspicion is that both sides have been installed somehow incorrectly) and 2. I don't need to hear vague platitudes about how all drum brake jobs have been the same since covered wagons and as such, I don't need any diagrams. I actually do, thank you.
havai is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2021, 01:48 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: L100 rear drum brakes question (diagram needed)

GM service manuals are not as descriptive when leaving out snapshots, line drawings, photo illustrations and engineering views from older manuals. Basic black and white minimalist drawings. I tend to think either visiting a junk yard to find intact rear drum brakes or googling for YouTube videos of repairs whether from repair shops or diyers. I, along with maybe one or two members can post service manual drawings if you like. My manuals cover '03 L200s and L300s and I presume brakes haven't changed drastically from year to year. You might find drawings already posted in past threads, snapshots too.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:38 PM   #3
lrbraner
lrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: L100 rear drum brakes question (diagram needed)

There are a couple of photos in this thread.
https://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sh...highlight=drum
2002 L300 Sedan
2003 LW300 Wagon
2005 L300 Sedan
lrbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:32 PM   #4
BrandonKastning
BrandonKastning will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Information Re: L100 rear drum brakes question (diagram needed)

My Factory Service Manual's for Evil GM's Proprietary Monopoly bailed by U.S. Congressional Traitors is for the years 2000 and 2001.

I don't know if these snapshots will do you any use. I hope they do.

Brakes - Rear Disc Brakes:

Part 1/2:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_20210511_150940.jpg (57.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2_20210511_150954.jpg (70.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 3_20210511_150959.jpg (73.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 4_20210511_151018.jpg (68.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 5_20210511_151024.jpg (91.3 KB, 6 views)
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” - John 3:16 (KJV)
BrandonKastning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:33 PM   #5
BrandonKastning
BrandonKastning will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Information Re: L100 rear drum brakes question (diagram needed)

Brakes - Rear Disc Brakes:

Part 2/2:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6_20210511_151126.jpg (85.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 7_20210511_151139.jpg (86.4 KB, 3 views)
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” - John 3:16 (KJV)
BrandonKastning is offline   Reply With Quote