SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 03-08-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
SovereignDragon
SovereignDragon is on a distinguished road

Default EGR Code Keeps Coming Back

Alright, first I guess I'll introduce the car. Its a 1998 SL2 5 speed with 236xxx on the odometer. I picked it up at 212xxx and have since put on an alternator, water pump, plugs, wires, air filter, coolant temperature sensor (brass), iat sensor, iac, fuel filter, motor mount, dog bone, o2 sensor, pcv valve, tps, and of course regular oil changes. I've also run two bottles of seafoam through the tank and one through the intake. Now on the to the problem. I replaced the EGR valve about 5 months ago. Around two month ago my check engine light came on again and turned out to be the egr. I swapped out the egr valve for a new one (yay warranty) and it was fine. Now it's starting to act as though the valve is getting stuck again and the check engine light comes on randomly. Does anyone have a clue what the underlying problem could be for my egr valves getting stuck. I did notice that when I pulled off the first new one it was disgusting with carbon and all gunked up. Do you guys think cleaning the valve and running more seafoam might help? Someone please help me here. I really love this little car. It's been great to me and even though it's a DOHC it's gotten as high as 45mpg highway in the summertime.
SovereignDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
sdowney717
Advanced Member
sdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: EGR Code Keeps Coming Back

you got an oil burner on your hands dirtying the egr valve.
I used to go thru this myself before dumping ATF into the engine oil.
Now the valve stays clean for a long time.

How is your PCV system working?
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

What are the codes?
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #4
SovereignDragon
SovereignDragon is on a distinguished road

Sorry, not only did I forget to grab my scanner from work yesterday but forgot to scan it as well. I'll do that today and get back to you guys on that one.
SovereignDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Even with a new EGR over time chucks of carbon lodged under the pintle on mine. After cleaning it last time I used an EGR gasket that has a screen. No problems for 14,000 miles. Before, I would have problems way before then.

http://www.sherco-auto.com/klean.htm

I also started the car with EGR off to clean things. Car shot up to 4,000 RPM's.

I am going to see how long this lasts and not clean it again until I have problems or codes.
Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote