saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods

Old 07-23-2021, 10:07 PM   #1
NewBlueVue
NewBlueVue will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Debonged with a Home Depot cold'ish air intake

Hello all,

I accomplished the ever popular debonging mod on my Vue. So that the intake wasn't just sucking in hot engine compartment air I fashioned a rudimentary intake. I hacked apart a 4" pvc standoff that neatly fit through the filter box after it was hacked apart as well. Some sealant around the newly expanded opening and some self tapping screws hold the standoff in place. A 4" angled ducting piece is held on by a band clamp. The ducting is directed towards where the stock air inlet was positioned. While not appealing to the eye its completely hidden by the headlight making it a moot point. I think it's only a temporary measure until I come up with something better.

Anyway, thanks for looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210710_130421.jpg (137.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20210723_215148.jpg (155.6 KB, 48 views)
NewBlueVue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2021, 03:23 PM   #2
SnowZilla
SnowZilla is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Debonged with a Home Depot cold'ish air intake

Did this significant diff in keeping engine cooler?
SnowZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:28 PM   #3
NewBlueVue

2007 VUE 3.5L

It dropped my intake temp slightly. I have a scan gauge but didn't track the levels because I plan on installing a rerouted intake pipe. I recently changed out my cats for pcd's which has also lowered my temps.
Old 11-19-2021, 12:17 AM   #4
NewBlueVue

2007 VUE 3.5L

Hello all,

I should probably look at getting the thread title edited as this is turning into an ongoing mod discussion.

I have done some reading here and there that the Vue can lose power through clogged cats. Also that the o2 sensors aren't always super reliable to notify that the cats are clogged. My Vue has been on a maintenance journey with performance going from slug to pug so I was curious to see what other creature I could compare it to.

These pcd's are from RV6 Performance and I don't believe they sell them anymore. They still sell high flow cats though. Anyway, as everybody knows these are Honda j35 engines with lots of parts commonalities. They were mostly plug and play. I had to slightly adjust the forward bank pcd defouler to clear the front trans mount. I also needed to reroute both lower o2 sensors because of the 90 degree angle of the defoulers. I got some spark plug heat wrap for them just as a precaution. The stock jpipe bolts right up but it has a significantly smaller diameter. A previous poster mentioned drilling out the flanges to open them up. I removed the set in metal gaskets and used a porting bit to shape and smooth them out. The defoulers do their job because I've put about 250 miles on them with no CEL's so far.

The driving experience has certainly changed. It doesn't blow doors off but it does accelerate much better in every situation. Like going from walking a pug to getting pulled by a St. Bernard. Passing at highway speeds is especially benefited.

I still have the stock exhaust so while there is slightly more noise from the firewall it's only enough let you know something is different. The most noise generated now comes from my lifters which I think is due to the much lowered back pressure. They need adjusted anyway so now there is even more motivation.

There is a slight caveat to the added performance. The vehicle just wants to go fast which makes me want to go fast. So if you don't have a mpg display like a scan gauge the gas tank can get away from you. That being said my gas mileage has gone up with judicious usage of the cruise control.

This mod was coupled with the replacement of the intermediate shaft bearing, both front axles, rear transmission mount and sway bar bushings. Having all that nonsense out made getting to the rear cat easier. So much so that it was easier than the front cat. I read on various forums that removing the cat heat shields aids in removal. I certainly found this to be the case. Everything got soaked in break free spray the day before. The only broken part was the support bracket bolt in the rear cat that attaches to the engine block. The rear pcd came with a new bolt which made the point moot.

I only took one picture which is of the rear pcd. You can see the heat shield wrap on rerouted o2 sensor. A buddy thought I jammed the studs but that's just anti-seize.

If you have any questions please let me know. Thanks for reading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211118-231606_Gallery.jpg (121.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 11-23-2021, 05:18 PM   #5
NewBlueVue

2007 VUE 3.5L
Information Re: Debonged with a Home Depot cold'ish air intake

Hello all,

Not really a big update, just a tiny addition. I have a cd player phone mount that keeps my phone positioned out of my main sight of the road. Unfortunately, the stock shifter always bumps my phone shifting up and down the prindle. When I'm in park the combination completely blocks my temp dial. So, after very little research, I settled on the shift knob out of a later Cadillac SRX. The wood grain doesn't match and I don't really care because it's all going to get painted eventually anyway. The only modification needed was drilling out the center hole to allow the linkage shaft to be actuated by the button. To remove you just need a plastic prybar or flathead to pop down the bottom chrome piece. After that it's a torx set screw to pop off the knob. To disassemble the SRX knob just take your pry tool to the leather sides to pop them outwards and then the wood trim piece rolls upwards. There's a plastic cylinder inside that will fall out when you pull the chrome button back. Looking downward you will see the hole that needs to be enlarged. Both knobs used a different set screw so make sure to have a myriad of torx bits on hand.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20211122_170755.jpg (145.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 11-25-2021, 11:50 AM   #6
NewBlueVue

2007 VUE 3.5L

Hello all,

This is just a slight update of a mod from a few months ago. I was able to get a hold of a set of Megan racing springs to lower and firm up my ride. In conjuction, I replaced the shocks and struts with KYB's. The original shocks upon removal would stay compressed for hours. I also installed alignment bolts up front and cam nuts in the rear. Any rubber components were also replaced.

The ride was a night and day difference. The downside to all of this was that it revealed a new weaker link in the suspension which would reveal another weak link once the aforementioned link was fixed. This lead to replacing other components before I felt comfortable getting an alignment which was definitely needed. I called multiple shops both private and chain to set up an appointment and was refused service. I finally talked to a chain shop that told me to come by because they had never heard of a lowered Saturn before. They had zero problems taking care of everything.

I plan on doing the rear disc brake swap eventually and I'll replace the rest of the worn suspension components then. My front sway bar is definitely out of alignment now and I'm toying with the idea of adjustable end links to fix it. I had received multiple comments that the Vue rode like a horse and buggy which prompted this mod. Body roll, wheel hop and bottoming out are now non-existent. If you have the opportunity to grab some Megan racing springs I highly recommend it.

Below are before and afters. My buddy I got the vehicle from put winter tires on the 17" stock rims and summer tires on 16" steelies. Once the stock rims are on then the gap will be even less.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211125-074635_Gallery.jpg (104.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211125-074555_Gallery.jpg (104.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-03-2022, 11:16 PM   #7
NewBlueVue

2007 VUE 3.5L

Hello all,

So from time to time I will have different sun averse passengers riding with me. To my surprise the passenger side visor does not telescope out. After some amateur junkyard research only the srx and terrain have telescoping passenger side visors. They also use a 3 hole bracket while the Vue, Equinox and terrain use a 2 hole.

Eventually I'd like to somehow install the fancier visors. Until then I did something that is stupid but works. I replaced the passenger's side visor with a driver's side visor. I also added a visor extension from Amazon for additional coverage. This also covers the airbag warning that now faces outwards. I plan on adding a mirror to the lid of the mirror cover so that it retains some functionality. It's not perfect but it'll do till something better comes along.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20220103-220606_Gallery.jpg (74.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20220103-220552_Gallery.jpg (113.9 KB, 3 views)