saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-24-2021, 04:25 PM   #1
Aspenglade
Aspenglade is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1
Default Moog Strut Problem

2001 Saturn SL1 ATM, base model

I installed MOOG ST8511 strut assembly for the front. Although, specs state it's compatible, the struts arrived with the strut mount configuration reversed.

The strut mount holes on the SL1 are designed in the triangle configuration with the two holes on top and the one hole at the bottom (facing outward).

I used the widow makers to compress the new strut springs and rotate the strut mounts 180 degrees. No issues in the installation.

Also, found there are no cam bolts. They are factory.

Wil there be any issues by fixing the error?
Aspenglade is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2021, 05:06 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Moog Strut Problem

Either I'm misunderstanding something, or you put far too much effort into simply spinning the strut mount around. The fronts spin on a bearing between the car body and the upper spring perch.

Camber bolts aren't required if you grind out both layers of the knuckle mount area to give the upper bolt the full oval to slide in.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 05:21 PM   #3
Aspenglade

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Either I'm misunderstanding something, or you put far too much effort into simply spinning the strut mount around. The fronts spin on a bearing between the car body and the upper spring perch.

Camber bolts aren't required if you grind out both layers of the knuckle mount area to give the upper bolt the full oval to slide in.

1. Strut mounts: I tried just spinning the mounts by hand 180 degrees. It would not move. I had to compress the springs.
2. Camber bolts: Ah, ok, I understand now.
Old 12-24-2021, 05:24 PM   #4
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglade View Post
1. Strut mounts: I tried just spinning the mounts by hand 180 degrees. It would not move.
They need to move for steering.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 05:49 PM   #5
Aspenglade

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
They need to move for steering.

Hmm, I see that they would need to turn for steering, but wouldn't they rotate with the weight of the car anyway, when the springs are compressed? So, it wouldn't be an issue. Right?
Old 12-24-2021, 06:07 PM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The front spring perch has to turn on a bearing so the wheel can turn and change the car's direction. You may not have had enough leverage with just your hands to spin a brand new setup but you could have installed the mount end then use anything to help spin the bottom around would have worked just as well.

The only time you have to worry about the mount->spring orientation on the fronts is when the strut doesn't come out in the middle of the mount/spring like it does on the S-Series (like older Subaru's that use a spring perch spacer dohicky that shoves the top of the strut to one side of the spring rather than through the middle).
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 06:30 PM   #7
Aspenglade

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
The front spring perch has to turn on a bearing so the wheel can turn and change the car's direction. You may not have had enough leverage with just your hands to spin a brand new setup but you could have installed the mount end then use anything to help spin the bottom around would have worked just as well.

The only time you have to worry about the mount->spring orientation on the fronts is when the strut doesn't come out in the middle of the mount/spring like it does on the S-Series (like older Subaru's that use a spring perch spacer dohicky that shoves the top of the strut to one side of the spring rather than through the middle).
Ok, I only installed the right front, I have the left front to install. I'll try that. Thank you.
Old 12-29-2021, 11:59 PM   #8
PrestonIII
PrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2

Is there a left strut and a right strut? And did you possibly install them on the wrong side?

I've never put struts on an S series, so I'm just venturing a theory.

On another note, not specifically strut related, but I know a guy who reversed sides on a set of front calipers once. They bolted up and hoses mounted up. But he couldn't bleed the brakes out. Why? Because the bleeder screws were then on the bottom, and the air was at the top! lol, I know what you're thinking but it wasn't me! It was a new tech at a mechanics shop I worked at many years ago.

Preston
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 03:04 AM   #9
TomM96
Master Member
TomM96 has a spectacular aura aboutTomM96 has a spectacular aura about

I bought a used '95 pickup; i checked the rear drum brakes.

One side had two shoes intended for the forward side, the other side
had both shoes for the after side....
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:26 PM   #10
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

The top of the top mount turns, it has to or the spring would wind up every time you turned the wheels. However it may be tight enough you can't turn it by hand. Clamp the strut in a vice and put a long screw driver thru 2 of the studs on the top and turn it.

Highmile
'95 SL1 744k and counting
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote