SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 12-11-2021, 11:23 AM   #21
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: Valve cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgg17 View Post
They do require washers.

I have 12 aluminum valve covers, and every single bolt for them has the included washer. They are a washer with a slight ridge to contain the rubber grommet.

You can get by with regular flat washers until you can source the proper ones from another member or a junkyard. I have done that before with success.

The most important part is the bolts, and you have those. You are heading in the right direction.

In the attached image you will see the bolt and the washer. The bolt head is the black part, and the washer is silver.
I understood fetchitfido's comment as using the composite valve cover bolts and stacking washers to make up the extra length. Perhaps I didn't elaborate correctly in my comment; thanks for catching that.

I hadn't checked until now and I thought the washer and grommet came with the bolts. They do not. Here are the 2 part numbers required to accompany the bolts. I'm not sure if the composite cover washers and bolts are compatible or not. Maybe someone could confirm either way. The information below seems to indicate that they are unique to the aluminum valve cover (91-95).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aluminum Cover Washer and Grommet.JPG (48.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Aluminum Cover Bolts.JPG (46.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Aluminum Valve Cover Diagram.JPG (100.7 KB, 17 views)
1999 SL2 MT (299,400 km @ 11/2021)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

Last edited by trottida; 12-11-2021 at 11:34 AM.
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2021, 12:01 PM   #22
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

My washer idea (from Waiex191) was meant to be a cheaper solution to using the plastic cover bolts on the aluminum cover. The thread depth is the same to the shoulder where it goes into the head, it's the shaft size from the shoulder to the head that changes and washers are a cheap way to take up extra space on a bolt (larger ID nuts work great when it's even more out of spec). Still requires the factory style grommet and fancy washer/cover to hold the grommet in place.

I didn't think to specify that the grommets don't come with the bolts. All the sellers show only the bolt and say it only includes '#' of bolts in the package. Also, you're replacing the VC which requires a new VC gasket and looking up the gasket would show the grommets with the gasket.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 08:36 PM   #23
TomM96
Master Member
TomM96 has a spectacular aura aboutTomM96 has a spectacular aura about

I think if one got some 5/16" or 3/8" (I.D.) washers, one could use a hammer
to distort them into a conical-or-cup format, by addressing the 'ball' end of a ball-pein hammer, or a (3/8") drive extension between the washers and a
normal framing hammer (or small sledge) on a block of wood. Softwood
probably makes a cone, hardwood a cup, roughly fabricated.
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote