SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 06-19-2006, 06:26 PM   #1
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default signs of a starter dying?

I did a lot of running around today, just short trips under 10mins each. After the engine warmed up, the starter seemed to start skipping. It has been more and more of a pain to start, I think mostly because of the faulty fuel pump not keeping the pressure in the lines.
It would crank the engine fine the first try, but not start it. The second time (about 5-8 seconds after starting the first attempt) it "grinds" on something. Is this a sign of it dying or do I just need to wait a couple of seconds between cranks?
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2006, 07:18 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: signs of a starter dying?

If this is the original starter then yes it may be time for replacement.

I was lucky, my sister borrowed my wagon and couldn't start it at all when she was done at Target. No sounds, nada, zilch, zero! Next day I'm under the car in 98 degrees temperature (couldn't find the freakin' thing-I felt so lame that I had to call my brother-in-law to ask where its located!?) on the VERY day the Northeast suffered the worst blackout!? Try imagining a grown adult bicycling a small bike several miles to buy a starter, oblivious to the dead stoplights all along a major boulevard!? I am not kidding, I was not aware of the BLACKOUT that day, just hot and bothered about having to do the inevitable. A DEAD starter, PERIOD! The wagon had 140k miles, the starter gave its all.

The grinding is another way for the poor starter to tell you that its on its way out. It has something to do with the starter solenoid not having enough oomph (very technical here) to slide the starter gear out from home position to engage the flywheel teeth. Something is worn here so you may be entertaining your car with a new starter. I'm sure your car will enjoy the new company as well as you having peace of mind. If I'm wrong...................I was never here.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Well, mines got 106k on it and it just started today. If I decide my newish DOHC is in decent enough condition the engine will be replaced, if not, then just the starter. At least mine's a 5spd, so I can just push-start it if it gives out on me.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:56 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

106k ? Plenty of miles left then.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:15 PM   #5
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

Well it didn't do it today so I think it was just complaing about being used so much in one day
I do want to replace the fuel pump though, the check valve thing seems to be getting worse. I'll look that up and put it in a diffrent post though, dosn't have much to do with the starter...
Old 06-21-2006, 03:51 PM   #6
Rozzwell
Rozzwell is on a distinguished road

I had my starter completely go out, without any warning, at around 130k. My advice to you would be to replace it now before it leaves you stranded somewhere. Plus, nowadays you can find low mileage starters at junk, err "automotive recycling", yards for around $20. Mine came out of an 99 SL2 with only 15k on it. Installed it in about an hour.
Rozzwell is offline   Reply With Quote