SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 05-20-2021, 01:54 PM   #1
derf
derf is on a distinguished road

Default 97 DOHC + MP3 (SC2) into 95 (currrently DOHC+ MP3)

Hi,

Anything that would kill my planned engine + tranny swap noted above?

I've read the swap guide and driven S cars since 92 but have never done a swap.

I know I need to:
1) swap back in 95 injectors
2) use the 95 ICM as it is not interchangeable with 96-98
3) keep the 95 PCM as this is the way 95s are, + the car is OBDI so trying to run it with an OBD II PCM just ain't gonna happen.
4) Swap the 95 throttle body back in. TPS and IAC identical.
5) have no temp gauge on the dash since there is no provision for the 2nd (dash) sensor on the 97 head. (can't swap the 95 head as it has valve guide seal issues.)
6) keep canister and purge valve (95). Different parts/no reason to change
--------------------
Both cars have 4 wheel disc ABS so I can just bring over the master and ABS unit.
------------------------
Front driveshafts the same 94-2002 so should be ok there (keep 95, 97 have issues)
------------------------
Both have cruise and air so I do not lose that.
-----------------------

Questions:

Fuel pump sender and pump itself: Identical/same wiring?

Transmission -- TCMs different between 97 and 95 MP3? Concerned about ODB angle/communications. Although it is manual, so I don't know if there is a TCM for that matter.

Anything screamingly obvious I am missing?

Thanks in advance
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2021, 03:00 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: 97 DOHC + MP3 (SC2) into 95 (currrently DOHC+ MP3)

The extra temp sensor port is easy to add. Drill and tap an 1/8" NPT hole in the water outlet that the upper radiator hose connects to. You could even drill/tap the head, identical to the '95, but the water outlet is "safer", easier to repair/ replace if you make a mistake.

Of course, also plan on transferring the '95 aluminum valve cover, too.

PS: yes, no trans problems with the (same model) manual; no TCM
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:16 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

'91-'93 w/ABS axles are the same as both styles of '94-'02. Even then, it's only the hub stub in the wheel bearing that changes.

2nd ECTS port, as mentioned, is easy to add.

I've used both styles TB's in both year ranges, didn't have a noticeable impact on anything and the PCM's didn't care. You just have to carefully swap the vacuum harness that comes off of it as well. That said, if you have the option to use the correct TB then take the 5min to swap it over.

The MP2 and MP3 TCM changes every time the driver changes. It's why some people think they're failure prone and others think they're bulletproof
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:07 PM   #4
derf

Thank you, folks.
I will swap the 95 TB and vac assy back over and will wait until I feel brave to tap the 2nd sensor hole.

1) Moving after engine extraction
Will the control arm to frame + control arm to sway bar + strut to hub + ball joint connection (reassembled as needed after engine pull) be enough for me to roll the car out of the garage and into the driveway? I know the drive axles are not there to primarily support weight but they will be flopping around.

I don't plan to disconnect the brake system lines as I will have no way of stopping the motion of the car once the engine is pulled and it needs to sit in a semi-steep driveway. Yes I can use the ebrake if I have to but I need to know if the front end will roll in a predictable manner

2) Doing this in a 2 car garage side by side -- enough room?

2 cars, 1 engine hoist head in, several feet of space at front.
In theory, I can pull 95 in, pull 95 engine trans, put down, then pull 97 in, pull 97 engine and trans and place directly in 95, roll 97 shell into driveway.

Is it worth getting some tire skates for this to be able to optimize the room to work.?

HOA does not allow me to work on vehicles in driveway -- I can do whatever I want inside the garage. It's my f ing house.

Please adivse
Old 05-21-2021, 01:18 PM   #5
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

I think it would roll OK, but would use some wires to hold the axles up more-or-less in position to minimize the flopping.
Old 05-21-2021, 06:11 PM   #6
billr
Master Member

If the axles have been removed from the wheel hubs, I would leave them out for the short move. Just attach the knuckle to the strut, LCA (ball-joint), and tie-rod; and not all that tight, so they can be removed again as easy as possible. The wheel hubs are press-fit into the bearings tight enough to hold for this minor moving of the car(s).
Old 05-21-2021, 08:07 PM   #7
derf

Thank you, sir
Old 05-24-2021, 12:26 PM   #8
billr
Master Member

I have changed my opinion on rolling it with axles out; I would put them back in, the big axle nut just needs to be snug, not fully torqued, and hold the axles up in approximate position to minimize flopping.

I just did a bearing replacement and it reminded me the outboard inner-race is definitely tight on the hub, but it isn't really possible to tell how tight the inboard inner-race is on the hub, and that inboard one is what would have to hold the axle into the knuckle when the axle is not there.
Old 05-25-2021, 12:01 PM   #9
derf

Thank you for the update.

I won't be tackling this for a few weekends yet....or sooner.
Much more enjoyable than searching for a job