SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 05-30-2020, 11:27 AM   #1
jpsuli
jpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2
1999 SW2
Default Money pit - SW2 Build Thread

Hey all,

I decided to create this thread for all documentation to my newly acquired SW2. She was originally a service vehicle and never driven at all, only having driven 30k miles from 2006-2020.

My original thread on getting the SW2: Keep SL2 or Get SW2

Upon getting her these are the issues she has:
  • Rear wiper and washer non functional
  • Rear wiper stuck in place, can't remove
  • headliner needs replacement
  • Antenna bent
  • Brake lines need replacement in front
  • Needs tires
  • Rear left door not opening as well as no power window
  • odometer light not functioning
  • high beam not functioning
  • front muffler pipe needs replacement
  • Stock radio is broken, no knobs or functionality
  • Spare tire exploded
  • Right mirror bent / Bent door frame
  • Left door mirror interior tabs are broken
  • Motor mounts are in need of replacement
  • Rims are rusting through
  • Passenger fog light out
  • Has an automatic, needs a manual

Looking through the previous service records and hearing the employee who drove it full time, it looks like the car only had the most basic maintenance done to it. Things like the exhaust weren't fixed due to the owner of the small company refusing to pay for the fix. Somewhat worrying but the car has little to no rust on the rear doors so I decided to jump in and buy it.

I have some worry that SF may go down from time to time, so to keep updating on progress I will be uploading all content to a Google Drive folder: Link to access here. Anything related to the car will go there first and only repairs/additions will be added here.

I want to ensure this car lasts as long as possible while keeping all additions tasteful.

saturn.jpg
'97 Saturn SL2 @ 146k (M. swapped) - In storage, awaiting an engine rebuild
'99 Saturn SW2 @ 92k (M. swapped) - Daily Driver

r/Saturn_Cars moderator
jpsuli is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2020, 01:49 PM   #2
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Money pit - SW2 Build Thread

If the body is rust free - I really don't see how you could put more into it in parts than it would be worth.. (If you DIY most of it)

You get it all tweaked out and perfect and you will have a reliable if somewhat kitch vehicle that you can drive for years...

Compare that to a new car - and you really have something..

Currently owned
93 SC2 M(anual)
96 SC2 M
98 SL2 A(uto)
99 SC2 A
01 SC2 A
01 SC2 M
02 SC2 M
02 SL2 A
02 SL2 M
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.
98 SL2
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:53 AM   #3
jpsuli
jpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2
1999 SW2

Looked into the high-beam issue, took apart the wheel and got to the stalk. Unplugging the turn signal stalk leads me to believe why it happened:

The stalk itself didn't fair any better:

Looks like the stalk high beam broke plastic broke off and caused a short by forcing the metal to touch from time to time. One trip to the junkyard and gobs of solder:

I also found that two wires were broken off the right stalk, turned out to be my rear windshield, and after soldering that back on I got both the wiper and washer to function. Unfortunately, I still can't get the rear arm off as it seems glued to that gasket.

Since I am already so deep into this repair, I may as well replace the odometer bulb:

At this point the wobble turning stalk was fixed by taking out the two screws at the mounting point for the stalk. Used a saw and put in grooves for a screw driver for easy installation and, god forbid, removal. It is very stiff now and won't drive me insane. No pics on this part, sorry.

Also got another grenade, I mean Firestone spare tire, and seems to be in good condition. I've only put it to 45 psi and plan on inflating it 60 for long trips. Tested out my window switch and found that the rear left clicks but doesn't move, not sure if that will be a lack of grease or the motor is dead. Will take apart the door to figure out more.

Additional Photos

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

Last edited by jpsuli; 05-31-2020 at 01:04 AM. Reason: added repair
Old 05-31-2020, 01:16 AM   #4
jpsuli

1997 SL2
1999 SW2

Looks like photos failed as Google drive dislikes sharing content directly. Comparison of me logged in vs. not logged in.

server_fail.jpg

You can still, of course, go to the Google drive if you are interested in the photos.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=v...fDjSUeZMeFz2EV
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=v...1BoB5gIrjk_ySu
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=v...fmygH6yvx9smri
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=v...vFarfBTuq8bjV0

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

Last edited by jpsuli; 05-31-2020 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:37 AM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Nice! What's the rate of oil burning?
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:02 AM   #6
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Are you calling it a money pit due to its condition or your intention? The $1400 I spent on the rebuild was awesomely worth it.

Just because your Firestone spare is intact says nothing about what it will be like tomorrow. I've got a Kuhomo in both of my Saturns.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60735
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.j...170924131058:s
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:40 PM   #7
jpsuli

1997 SL2
1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Nice! What's the rate of oil burning?
Previous owner said she never needed to add oil between changes, though looking at the records it never passed 3k miles before they did the 3 month service. Only drove it for about 30 miles and began working. Nothing from the tailpipe, unlike my SL2, and she ran very strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Are you calling it a money pit due to its condition or your intention? The $1400 I spent on the rebuild was awesomely worth it.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.j...170924131058:s
It's condition isn't bad per-say, but it's a money pit because everything is getting re-done, which has hurt my wallet (but is still far less than a similarly beaten Corolla). I am excited for it, but seeing some of the things leads me to believe it has had repairs prior to it's previous owner or I wasn't informed of. I have over 50 parts coming in this week so that the car will have no issues in the future, essentially the transmission, suspension, belt accessories, brakes, cooling, body, and tires are something that I will hopefully not need to worry about for a while.

I wanted to ask you, Waiex191, how difficult would that roll pin modification be for someone who has never opened a transmission? I've acquired a 96k mile manual transmission but that pin is my only worry. Is it something that can be done in a few hours?

Thanks for the tire, will definitely get something new when the car is rolling!

Current status of the car, more pictures to come:
jack_stand.jpg

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

Last edited by jpsuli; 05-31-2020 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:45 PM   #8
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
I wanted to ask you, Waiex191, how difficult would that roll pin modification be for someone who has never opened a transmission? I've acquired a 96k mile manual transmission but that pin is my only worry. Is it something that can be done in a few hours?
Not too bad, if you are careful and slow. I could easily do it in a weekend. You should have a drill press. Check out my thread and also the Hunt4Steve thread.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Old 05-31-2020, 08:51 PM   #9
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Diff pin by Hunt4Steve:
https://sites.google.com/site/hunt4s...n/transmission

My efforts. Post 165 on.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=230898&page=9
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Old 06-01-2020, 08:19 AM   #10
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to all

1997 SW2

I’m certain the term ‘Money Pit’ is being used tongue-in-cheek here. Like calling the biggest guy in your circle ‘Tiny’ or the baldest guy ‘Curly’.

I was looking through some saved service receipts for my wife’s 2007 Chrysler Pacifica recently and there were a few instances that could’ve easily bought me another one of my $1,500.00 SW2s plus accessories.
• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:24 AM   #11
jpsuli

1997 SL2
1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Looking through photos of dismantling the transmission, I think I will set aside tomorrow to get it done (at least to inspect the diff). Thanks for the information. Hopefully, McMaster Carr can get here by Thursday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
I’m certain the term ‘Money Pit’ is being used tongue-in-cheek here. Like calling the biggest guy in your circle ‘Tiny’ or the baldest guy ‘Curly’.

I was looking through some saved service receipts for my wife’s 2007 Chrysler Pacifica recently and there were a few instances that could’ve easily bought me another one of my $1,500.00 SW2s plus accessories.
Ha, yes I suppose it was. I know repairs to this car are hilariously cheap for most, if not all, things compared to most other cars. Though, this easily trumps how much I put into my SL2. I namely choose the title after I placed the RockAuto order and still had sticker shock

--------------------------

Anyhow, since I am awaiting on parts I decided to inspect my non-functional rear left window. I can hear the motor click but no movement. Took it off the door skin, and broke nearly every tab despite letting PB Blaster sit overnight, I found something a little scary:
IMG_20200531_143435.resized.jpg
Well, no documents show the left rear door ever getting hit and nothing on the CarFax. So I can only assume it was either prior to the owner, or they hit something and took care of it themselves. The metal is as bent as it was definitely would've taken the door skin with it.

No matter, after bending it back with a hammer, persuasion, and a little bit of paint we've got this:
IMG_20200531_222742.resized.jpg
The door now opens and closes effortlessly

The slider was in two pieces too so I decided to 3D print that (ABS only), just needs a bit of sanding and I'll be able to put the ball back in.
IMG_20200531_215644.resized.jpg
STL used available here.

Also, fixed the right mirror as it wasn't flush with the door. The previous owner told me that since the powered door mirror wasn't functioning, she would bend the entire mirror assembly to move the mirror despite the powered mirror working. The door, sure enough, was bent at the mirror portion. After bending it into place it does function but the mirror is basically shot as the mounting broke off. I have a feeling she knew it worked and probably didn't want to tell me that she might've damaged it. Regardless, it's fixed and the car was cheaper because of it.

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

Last edited by jpsuli; 06-01-2020 at 11:26 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-02-2020, 02:29 PM   #12
jpsuli

1997 SL2
1999 SW2
Mad Re: Money pit - SW2 Build Thread

A pretty slow and hot day here in Chicago. Just been working on the bottom door portions. They are actually in all great shape, maybe the back right could be better, but otherwise just minor surface rust. I decided to sand done most of it all anyway, basically to ensure the paint doesn't bubble through.

I know most of the work here won't ever be seen but it just makes me feel a bit better knowing it's not rusted. Plus, I am bored.

IMG_20200601_171219.jpg

Transmission from the junkyard turned out to be an MP2 (as I recall the transmission is labeled as like XMP[2 or 3]XXXXXXXX where mine is an MP2. Admittedly I should've checked for this right away, but the person told me it came out of a SC2 (figured I wouldn't need to check). Went back to the yard, and the puller(pulley?) told me that is what came out of the Saturn, and it was indeed a DOHC.

They said they would find me another one (they have one at a sister yard w/ 82K miles) otherwise I get my money back. Unsure if I got super unlucky, or just got told the fattest lie ever.

r/Saturn_Cars moderator
Old 06-06-2020, 11:16 PM   #13
jpsuli

1997 SL2
1999 SW2

Subframe came off yesterday and checked it out on a table. Initially, it looked alright. Began grinding off a bit of rust near the control arm and boom, a hole. This happened a few times around the subframe in some critical areas so using a welder and some 10-14 gauge steel we replaced the entire area around it to sleep better at night.
IMG_20200605_194500.jpg
IMG_20200605_200243.jpg
IMG_20200605_200242.jpg
IMG_20200606_145716.jpg

Edit: I assure you we covered the panels we cut out, I just don't have any photos.

Unfortunately, due to some dirty hands, I wasn't able to capture the rest of the repairs, but 3 main repairs were done to the subframe, sanded down, and then painted tonight. 2-3 more light coats tomorrow morning. Somewhat diddling a bit as the clutch has been delayed.
subframe.jpg

Got bearings into the bracket, although one bearing is much stiffer than the other. I read this is fine as long as it's smooth, which it is, but it seems odd how one is so easy to turn while the other isn't.
bearing.jpg

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

Last edited by jpsuli; 06-06-2020 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:54 AM   #14
TomM96
TomM96 has a spectacular aura aboutTomM96 has a spectacular aura about

The final wheel bearing preload is set by torqueing the axle stubshaft nut.

OldNuc advises the wheel be elevated, and rotated as is torqued... and test the wheel for free rotation as tighten the nut (new nut & lock washer).
i think torque 145

So the rotation not too indicative before axle is torqued down.
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 01:29 AM   #15
jpsuli

1997 SL2
1999 SW2

I was able to finally work on it again today, the old transmission is out and the new one is in (more pictures probably tomorrow). If anyone needs a 96k mile automagic transmission in West Chicago, let me know cause you can take it before the junker does.
engi.jpg
After putting in the engine and letting it sit on the newly painted subframe, the top engine mount got replaced. One more piece of evidence why the frowny is no good. It can happen to the originals, but this one was replaced within the decade.
frowny.jpg
Otherwise, we finished it off by putting the suspension together and almost finished the brakes had the SUNSONG brake lines not been the incorrect ones! On rockauto, they sent me two 2201173's (passenger side) despite one being labelled as 2201154's (the driver side). My local AutoZone has it and can finish that tomorrow, hopefully, get to the cooling and wiring, then drop it and drive it around the blook.
IMG_20200612_123329.jpg

One question I had is we got a new swaybar for the front, it touches the subframe when angling towards the control arms. I was talking with my father, who's helping me with this, and he thought this would be normal since there is no load on the new suspension but if anything I think adding load would make it rub even more. Our repairs to the subframe didnt add height or width so that can't be it as well as the old swaybar being nearly identical. Possibly the new bushings aren't tall enough on the inside rubber?

r/Saturn_Cars moderator
Old 06-13-2020, 01:46 AM   #16
jpsuli

1997 SL2
1999 SW2

Photos about sway bar question above:
sway1.jpg
sway2.jpg

In reference to this quick-check on proper install, it looks correct.

r/Saturn_Cars moderator
Old 06-13-2020, 09:38 AM   #17
TomM96
TomM96 has a spectacular aura aboutTomM96 has a spectacular aura about

> I was talking with my father, who's helping me with this, and he thought this would be normal since there is no load on the new suspension but if anything I think adding load would make it rub even more.

The bar can touch the bottom of the subframe: i noticed this on my '97.
But, the bar is supposed to move past the outer edge of the subframe, as it follows the (upward) movement of the spindles attached to the bottom of the struts, when the spring(s) contract under load.

I attempted to CENTER the forward U shape of the stabilizer bar, so that it cleared the edges of the subframe on both psgr&driver's side.

In actual practice, there never seemed to be any problem while driving:
After 80,000Mi in action, no significant paint was removed from the subframe.
My guess, is that as the weight of the car is assumed by the suspension, the stabilizer centers itself ! But maybe keep an eye on it....
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:07 PM   #18
jpsuli

1997 SL2
1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM96 View Post
The bar can touch the bottom of the subframe: i noticed this on my '97.
But, the bar is supposed to move past the outer edge of the subframe, as it follows the (upward) movement of the spindles attached to the bottom of the struts, when the spring(s) contract under load.

I attempted to CENTER the forward U shape of the stabilizer bar, so that it cleared the edges of the subframe on both psgr&driver's side.

In actual practice, there never seemed to be any problem while driving:
After 80,000Mi in action, no significant paint was removed from the subframe.
My guess, is that as the weight of the car is assumed by the suspension, the stabilizer centers itself ! But maybe keep an eye on it....
Well, I finally got a look again at my 97 SL2, the sway bar in that car clears without issue. We removed the sway bar and ground down the little bit we added to the subframe and it just clears now. I was only particularly worried about grinding the subframe and sway bar, and possible hear clunking or something along those lines.

r/Saturn_Cars moderator
Old 06-15-2020, 08:23 PM   #19
cgg17
Advanced Member
cgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nice

1995 SL2
1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuli View Post
Previous owner said she never needed to add oil between changes, though looking at the records it never passed 3k miles before they did the 3 month service. Only drove it for about 30 miles and began working. Nothing from the tailpipe, unlike my SL2, and she ran very strong.

It's condition isn't bad per-say, but it's a money pit because everything is getting re-done, which has hurt my wallet (but is still far less than a similarly beaten Corolla). I am excited for it, but seeing some of the things leads me to believe it has had repairs prior to it's previous owner or I wasn't informed of. I have over 50 parts coming in this week so that the car will have no issues in the future, essentially the transmission, suspension, belt accessories, brakes, cooling, body, and tires are something that I will hopefully not need to worry about for a while.

Thanks for the tire, will definitely get something new when the car is rolling!

Current status of the car, more pictures to come:
Attachment 59016
I am not Waiex191, but I did follow his forum while doing my roll pin. It was a very easy process and actually exciting. There is not too much going on inside the trans, it all goes together nicely.
1994 Sl2 5spd First Car, Stock: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd: Retired Daily, Not Stock: 192,000
1998 Sl2 5spd: Family Car, Stock :135,000
1995 SW2 4spd: Daily, Stock: 91,000
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:16 AM   #20
jpsuli

1997 SL2
1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgg17 View Post
I am not Waiex191, but I did follow his forum while doing my roll pin. It was a very easy process and actually exciting. There is not too much going on inside the trans, it all goes together nicely.
Unfortunately, I am a bit past that point. I was trying to get it driving at least by this weekend, which I did. I figured taking apart the transmission would've required a day or two to figure out. Somewhat rolling the dice I suppose on not ejecting the pin.

------

Managed to get the entire engine put back together, quite easy with new screws from Ace hardware.
IMG_20200616_081328.jpg
The clutch pedal seems to stick out a bit more than the freshly bled brake pedal.
IMG_20200616_081340.jpg
Maiden voyage:

r/Saturn_Cars moderator