SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 03-30-2018, 10:59 PM   #1
terminal89
terminal89 is on a distinguished road

Default How to switch from Lucas additive + conventional back to synthetic

Hey I used wolfman's reverse slam fix. In it he specifies conventional fluid as he says transmission additives do not mix well with synthetic fluid which is loaded with add packs.

I had the best shifting with mobil 1 ATF by far. I want to go back now that reverse slam issue is fixed. How do I go about this and ensure lucas slip additive does not screw me.
terminal89 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2018, 04:24 PM   #2
Cheyne
Cheyne has a spectacular aura aboutCheyne has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2
Default Re: How to switch from Lucas additive + conventional back to synthetic

Just drain and refill with the new fluid. You can do it again later if you want to get more of the old out. What's left in it will be fine. I also use the Mobil 1 atf and agree that it shifts well.
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:15 PM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
Just drain and refill with the new fluid. You can do it again later if you want to get more of the old out. .
Somewhere on here, there are calculations on what percent of old /new fluid there is at each ATF change.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:56 PM   #4
Cheyne
Cheyne has a spectacular aura aboutCheyne has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2

I remember reading a thread about that a number of years ago. I ended up doing three changes in switching mine to synthetic that IIRC may have been derived from it. OP could do the same by adding one more to the above. He'll probably be able to judge the need by the shifting after the second change since the Mobil 1 was in there before the slam treatment.
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:43 PM   #5
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Band-Aid on a Bullet Wound scenario.

Switching back to synthetic will allow the reverse slam to come back. It will take a little bit of time and driving, but the slamming/delay will come back, as the synthetic ATF dilutes the remaining Lucas additive left in the transmission.

The reverse slam occurs, because the steel seals have bored out the cast aluminum valve body bore for the boost pressure valve.

Adding the Lucas causes the viscosity and thickness of ATF to increase, which allows a temporary increase in line pressure to the clutches. The viscosity increase can also allow slipping clutches to grab again, temporarily.

The ATF gets thickened because the Lucas has pure petroleum in it, which is the base stock of any lubricant.

Your valve body needs to be replaced, to correctly fix the problem.

Contact Special Forces, a member on here.

He specializes in the boost pressure valve bore and has over 10yrs of experience with rebuilding these valve body assemblies.
"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote