SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 08-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #1
Laz174
Laz174 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy 2002 Vue A/C not working....

Hello,

I have a 2002 Vue AWD with the 3.0 V6 in it that has 140K miles on it. We bought this for my daughter who will be getting her license in a month. The problem I am experiencing is that there is no cold air blowing out of the vents when the AC is turned on. Sometimes I can hear the AC clutch engage and other times I can't. One thing that I have noticed is that I have blown the 10 amp fuse for the AC unit in the fuse panel under the hood....i replaced it and it blew again a few days later.

I am at a loss of what the problem could be and I am not really wanting to spend 50% of what I paid for the vehicle to get the air working again.

So far I have hooked up a gauge to the refill port and it is towards the lower PSI spectrum but it is still within the recommended range. Any suggestions and or pointers would be greatly appreciated as I am not really finding anyone else having this issue with the same year...most seem to be 2007 Vue that has a different system in it.

Thanks
Laz174 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2002 Vue A/C not working....

All vehicle a/c systems operate on the basic refrigeration cycle of compressing gas and releasing it under high pressure to create cold. Everything else is either added mechanical or electrical controls, complicating things.

The only clue you have may be describing one part that rarely fails, the a/c diode. Its the one resembling a fuse next to the a/c fuse but labeled with an arrow pointing to 'T' (electronic symbology). See below. This diode absorbs the arc generated when the compressor relay contacts open to prevent burning contacts. Its a result of turning off a/c cooling. When it fails, it fails by shorting internally and causing the a/c fuse to blow as soon as a/c is turned on. Remove it, try another fuse. If a/c runs, replace this diode.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diode.jpg (6.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg ac diode.jpg (74.1 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by fdryer; 08-11-2016 at 03:11 PM.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:10 PM   #3
Laz174

I will double check that one tonight when I get home. The A/C Clutch fuse is the one that has blown 3 times since we have had it.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:19 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Diodes used in the a/c circuit are electronic one way valves - it allows current to flow in one direction but not in the other direction. Be sure of marking the fuse panel before removing this diode. Reversing a good one will cause a short circuit the same as when a faulty one occurs. Good ones placed into position correctly work silently forever until it breaks down. A multimeter can be used to measure a suspect one; set for medium resistance or diode mode (symbol), resistance for good ones will measure resistance in one direction and when reversing the probes to measure it again, it will measure higher resistance. A dead short/faulty diode will measure differently - measuring as if it were a fuse and is a tell tale sign of failure. It should never measure as a fuse would. Its not a fuse.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:48 PM   #5
Laz174

Well I checked diode and it tested good. The fuse was blown again so I replaced it and noticed that the clutch was very jerky and not spinning very well. I shut the car off and checked clutch and I could not move it by hand (I know on my G6 it spins freely and my AC works).

So would this indicate that the AC clutch is shot? If so can just the clutch be purchased and replaced?
Old 08-12-2016, 10:48 AM   #6
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz174 View Post
So would this indicate that the AC clutch is shot? If so can just the clutch be purchased and replaced?
I checked Rock Auto and don't see A/C clutches as separate item but I suspect they are available through A/C shops or perhaps local auto salvage yards.

The clutch has a bearing which has been known to fail and bearing is replaceable if you have a few special tools including access to a press.

There's useful information at this URL:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...CF1E&FORM=VIRE
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:10 PM   #7
Laz174

Tested and clutch bearing is bad. I checked with a few AC repair shops in the area and they all say that there is no clutch kit for it and said I would be better off buying a reman one. I did find a place 30 miles from me that offers reman with 1 year warranty for $100...so looks like this weekend I will try to drive there and pick one up.

Thanks...if this doesn't fix it I will be back
Old 08-12-2016, 03:31 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

So it wasn't a diode but a damaged compressor? The compressor bearing is usually good for life since it's idling all the time whether a/c is used or not. Are you sure the bearing is damaged? This would mean the serpentine belt won't turn as a seized bearing won't turn. I think you have a seized compressor from your descriptions. Not being able to manually turn the center portion of the compressor, the clutch plate attached to the compressor shaft, means the compressor seized.........
Old 08-12-2016, 06:30 PM   #9
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

I believe OP is saying compressor clutch won't free-wheel with no belt tension.

To me this indicates a bad clutch bearing - unless clutch is somehow permanently locked to compressor shaft.

OP may eventually find a bad compressor bearing but the clutch bearing is probably job one.
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:53 PM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Clutch bearing? My knowledge of typical vehicle a/c compressors is the clutch plate connected to the compressor shaft. The compressor pulley freewheels with its bearing so the serpentine belt can provide engine power to turn the compressor when the clutch coil is powered up, engaging the clutch plate to the pulley face.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ac clutch parts.jpg (29.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-12-2016, 09:03 PM   #11
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Clutch bearing? My knowledge of typical vehicle a/c compressors is the clutch plate connected to the compressor shaft. The compressor pulley freewheels with its bearing so the serpentine belt can provide engine power to turn the compressor when the clutch coil is powered up, engaging the clutch plate to the pulley face.
Well ... you can call it a compressor pulley bearing but why not google or bing search using term "A/C clutch bearing" for a different perspective.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:36 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ahh, I see what you mean. The term clutch bearing may be a misnomer as I did Google 'a/c clutch bearing'. Images show the idler pulley. The bearing is in the pulley. The clutch plate doesn't have a bearing. The reason I pointed out compressor seizure is the OP stating the clutch plate cannot turn. The clutch plate is bolted to the compressor shaft. If the clutch bearing (I call it the pulley bearing) failed then either it seized or is making noise as its preventing the serpentine belt from driving everything; compressor idler pulley, power steering, alternator. Something isn't right with fuses blowing. My first guess was the diode as this usually blows a fuse immediately. The clutch coil has its own built in thermal fuse for an overheating condition. If the coil wiring is damaged and shorting to the compressor/engine block, this might explain fuse blowing.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:47 PM   #13
Laz174

With the belt off the pulls spins freely...just the clutch will not move easily. I was hoping to be able to find a clutch kit like I have for other vehicles but the guy at the dealership said that he highly doubts I will find one for it...his justification is because it has the Honda motor in it. I was finding kits for the 4 cyclist motors but unfortunately they take a different model. I am heading up today to buy a reman unit. Would it be possible to take the clutch assembly off of the reman and put it onto my compressor? I am just wondering as then I wouldn't have to get the system drained and refilled.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:53 PM   #14
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

So - with belt removed the pulley turns freely??? Hmmm

The dealer is clueless - Honda 3.5 was used ONLY in 2004 - 2007 Vues.

The 3.0 is some weird European GM engine.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:47 PM   #15
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Unless a/c compressors, clutch plates and idler pulleys were suddenly redesigned, Vues uses the same three piece clutch assembly used in virtually every vehicle. Your clutch is bolted to the compressor shaft. Not turning the clutch means the compressor seized. I can't recall the last time anyone posted compressor seizure in these forums.

The 3.0L V6 is a Euro engine, originally from Saab when GM bought a partnership and decided to transplant it into the baby Cadillac Catera before abandoning it when Saturn decided to try it in the American version of Euro's Vectra, the L300's with this 3.0L V6 engine. L300's have a detuned engine compared to the original Vectra's. My guess is GM decided the American market didn't deserve higher power (stock 180hp) unless US emissions controls robbed power.

Tags
2002, 3.0, a/c, vue