SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 09-23-2006, 07:18 PM   #1
asrawlings@mchs
asrawlings@mchs is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.5L
Post Tech Comm: Vehicle does not have timer for headlights to stay on…

My baby hit the big 3,000 today! She also went in for her first service today. I am sure most of you share my service department woos! Sometimes I wonder if they just don’t know so they don’t do it…help me out here!

I want my vehicle’s lights to stay on after the car is shut off at night (much like they do when you unlock the car when it’s dark with the RKE pad). This was the service department’s reply…

TECH COMM: VEHICLE DOES NOT HAVE TIMER FOR HEADLIGHTS TO STAY ON AFTER VEHICLE IS SHUT OFF.

Now in response to that in theory can’t the switch that operates the timer per “RKE pad unlock in the evening” control timer per “stay on after vehicle is shut off in the evening”? Logically to me it would make sense that it would but apparently not.

My Vue’s Programmed Features:

One chirp per RKE pad to unlock (if doors are locked).
Two chirps per RKE pad to unlock (if doors are unlocked).

Doors stay locked until the unlock button is pushed on the door.

Security System automatically arms after one minute of any door being open and shut.

If your Vue sports any dealer customizations please share!!!
asrawlings@mchs is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2006, 07:40 PM   #2
mikebutkus
mikebutkus is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Tech Comm: Vehicle does not have timer for headlights to stay on…

That is a good and bad feature. You can buy an item that will keep your headlight on as an aftermarket item. Check JC Whitney. Would have to figure out how to wire it in. If you have DRL you may have a problem, maybe not. Basically it's a capaciator that keeps a relay closed, providing power to the headights until the capaciator drains and the relay opens. Problems is each headlight in modern cars are on separate circuits and this item may only have one relay connection. You many need to buy one for each headlight.

Big second item: You will get told a hundred times when you get out of your car at night "lights are on !"

FYI - before buying my Vue I tried a Chrysler Pacifica. The driver had control of the computer and could change any features via a small screen such as auto door locks at 10 mph and stuff like that.
mikebutkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:48 PM   #3
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebutkus
FYI - before buying my Vue I tried a Chrysler Pacifica. The driver had control of the computer and could change any features via a small screen such as auto door locks at 10 mph and stuff like that.
Lots of GMs have that as well, but not the VUE. I know the Impala does, and I'm pretty sure my dad's SV6 does. I was talking to my buddy that is a Saturn tech about something similar for my SC1, but I wanted it to do what the VUE does with the headlights when you unlock it at night via the remote. I love that feature on my mom's VUE. He was thinking he might be able to tell it to do that with the Tech. 2, but we realized, I don't have automatic headlights on the SC1, so it's impossible. But your idea might be doable.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
asrawlings@mchs

2008 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy
Lots of GMs have that as well, but not the VUE. I know the Impala does, and I'm pretty sure my dad's SV6 does. I was talking to my buddy that is a Saturn tech about something similar for my SC1, but I wanted it to do what the VUE does with the headlights when you unlock it at night via the remote. I love that feature on my mom's VUE. He was thinking he might be able to tell it to do that with the Tech. 2, but we realized, I don't have automatic headlights on the SC1, so it's impossible. But your idea might be doable.
I would love to get my hands on one of those Tech. 2's. Oh the fun we could have together! I like the way mine is set up for the parking lamps to flash when you unlock your car in the day, but I know it's possible to change it so the headlamps flash instead. I know that having the lights stay on is possible like they do for the Ions when you shut them off at night (if you have the 3 just the low beams will be illuminated and the parking lights will be dark) but I just wish someone had the brains to figure it out!
Old 09-23-2006, 08:05 PM   #5
lithous
lithous is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L

I have thought about how nice it would be to *sometimes* have the interior lights off when the doors are open (when my 3 year old is sleeping on the way home from grand parents and we don't want the lights to wake him up). My Envoy has a button to not have the lights go on when the doors are open.

Reprogramming a vehicle interests me a lot. If I could get my own Tech II for about $1200 I would buy it. There are a couple things I would like to mess around with on my vehicles.
lithous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:17 PM   #6
asrawlings@mchs

2008 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithous
I have thought about how nice it would be to *sometimes* have the interior lights off when the doors are open (when my 3 year old is sleeping on the way home from grand parents and we don't want the lights to wake him up). My Envoy has a button to not have the lights go on when the doors are open.

Reprogramming a vehicle interests me a lot. If I could get my own Tech II for about $1200 I would buy it. There are a couple things I would like to mess around with on my vehicles.
If ANYONE knows of a website that shows all the avilable parameters that can be set/adjusted with a Tech II please share it. Even just to have the knowledge of what can be modified on my car would be excellent. I'd have something new for the dealer every 3,000 miles!
Old 09-23-2006, 09:01 PM   #7
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

The Security system arming (Passive / Active) are OWNER PROGRAMABLE (No scan tool needed) ~Read your owner's manual~
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:03 PM   #8
asrawlings@mchs

2008 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
The Security system arming (Passive / Active) are OWNER PROGRAMABLE (No scan tool needed) ~Read your owner's manual~
Correct, as well as the door locks.