SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 11-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
GeekOnTheHill
GeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the roughGeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the roughGeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the roughGeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the rough

Default A deer hit my car!

Not the other way around. He hit me. A big buck. You think he'd at least have the decency to die in the process so I could have eaten him.

How hard is this part to get and replace? 2002 SC1.

Thanks,

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deer1.jpg (62.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg deer2.jpg (46.5 KB, 59 views)
GeekOnTheHill is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1
Default Re: A deer hit my car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOnTheHill View Post
Not the other way around. He hit me. A big buck. You think he'd at least have the decency to die in the process so I could have eaten him.

How hard is this part to get and replace? 2002 SC1.

Thanks,

Richard
Driverside fender wont be hard to replace, For your body style you will need a LH fender from a 2001-2002 SC1 or SC2 best place to look is a j/k or Ebay hopefully you can find one in your color, 2000 fenders were a different style and the lines were different.
2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

Last edited by SL19302; 11-16-2013 at 07:32 PM.
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
GeekOnTheHill
GeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the roughGeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the roughGeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the roughGeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the rough

Okay, thanks. I'll start searching in the morning.

-Richard
Old 11-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Probably 75.00 for fender and liner at JY if they pull it and it takes about an hour to remove and replace. beware that the screws must have those little plastic sliders under the head and not be snugged down. Back screws set alignment and the rest allow for expansion.

I almost go a big doe a couple of nights ago.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Never knew that, learned something new about those nice polymer panels with the bolts
2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
GeekOnTheHill

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Probably 75.00 for fender and liner at JY if they pull it and it takes about an hour to remove and replace. beware that the screws must have those little plastic sliders under the head and not be snugged down. Back screws set alignment and the rest allow for expansion.

I almost go a big doe a couple of nights ago.
Thanks. Glad she missed you.

I don't know what compels these animals to run into the paths of moving vehicles. You'd think they'd either stay still or run the other way.

Maybe they're depressed.

-Richard
Old 11-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
GeekOnTheHill

Actually, that should have been 2001 SC1. Same part. Just my OCD kicking in here... gotta keep things accurate.

-Richard
Old 11-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOnTheHill View Post
Thanks. Glad she missed you.

I don't know what compels these animals to run into the paths of moving vehicles. You'd think they'd either stay still or run the other way.

Maybe they're depressed.

-Richard
The dogs ran one out of the yard night before last and the dumb thing got caught in the invisible fence wire and pulled down about 100' foot of it in the thickest cedar trees and brush on the side of a steep hill. I am not a fan of deer unless properly cooked.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #9
GeekOnTheHill

Quote:
The dogs ran one out of the yard night before last and the dumb thing got caught in the invisible fence wire and pulled down about 100' foot of it in the thickest cedar trees and brush on the side of a steep hill. I am not a fan of deer unless properly cooked.
They must be among the dumbest animals in the forest. There are two orphaned yearling does that live by me that come up to me all the time like it's old home day. I'm like, dummies, don't you know you're supposed to be afraid of humans? But they just stand there with dopey grins on their faces. I suspect they'll be venison stew before the weekend's over.

As for the fender, a junky in the next county over from me has one in black for $100.00. He's always a bit on the high side, but usually he'll negotiate down a bit if you pay by cash. I submitted a contact request to him.

I also know a junky in Texas who's a friend of mine from one of the pilot message boards. I sent him a message, as well. If he has one in his yard I'll get a slightly better deal, but the shipping may make it a wash.

-Richard
Old 11-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You will pay the volume price to ship as they are light.

Deer are dumb....
Old 11-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #11
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

A drunk human hit my faither in laws car while he was doing about 50. Troopers determined that the drunk impacted the side of the car and that he (FIL) already had two tires off the road and was braking hard, so he faced no charges.

The drunk guy had already wrecked his car and was running onto the road for help.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:41 AM   #12
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Sad Re: A deer hit my car!

We hit a deer a few years ago in our BMW. I couldn't have been going more than 5-10 mph faster than the stupid thing but did around $1500 in damages. Just as with the OP, that one didn't have the decency to die either. I wish I could have caught it but it ran away.

Deer whistles went on all our vehicles within a few days. I even have them on my bike. Before you laugh, they do seem to get the deer's attention just long enough that I can hit the brakes (or horn) or swerve out of the way. We will not drive without them on our vehicles any more.

Sorry about your car, but it's repairable. At least you are OK. It could have been a lot worse. I used to work with someone who hit a deer head on at about 60 mph. He and his wife each spent quite a while in the hospital. It went partially through the windshield. That could have been worse too.

The only good deer is a properly butchered dead dear with a nice spice rub and slow cooked over hickory wood.
DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:07 AM   #13
ohioguy98
ohioguy98 is on a distinguished road

Did you get his insurance info?

Deer aren't "dumb", at least no more so than any other grazing species. Nature designed them to be plenty smart for where they fit into the food chain, otherwise they would not have evolved and survived as a species for millions of years. Their actions and reactions are exactly what they need in order to have a reasonable chance of escaping their primary predators (wolves, big cats, etc). When scared they either freeze (predator eyesight based on movement) or they quickly dart in unpredictable patterns to throw off any four-legged pursuers.

Freezing dead in their tracks or darting back and forth in unpredictable patterns tends to works pretty well for avoiding a wolf. A speeding Buick? Not so much.
ohioguy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #14
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Hate deer myself. Nothing more than rats with hooves IMO
2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #15
GeekOnTheHill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
We hit a deer a few years ago in our BMW. I couldn't have been going more than 5-10 mph faster than the stupid thing but did around $1500 in damages. Just as with the OP, that one didn't have the decency to die either. I wish I could have caught it but it ran away.

Deer whistles went on all our vehicles within a few days. I even have them on my bike. Before you laugh, they do seem to get the deer's attention just long enough that I can hit the brakes (or horn) or swerve out of the way. We will not drive without them on our vehicles any more.

Sorry about your car, but it's repairable. At least you are OK. It could have been a lot worse. I used to work with someone who hit a deer head on at about 60 mph. He and his wife each spent quite a while in the hospital. It went partially through the windshield. That could have been worse too.

The only good deer is a properly butchered dead dear with a nice spice rub and slow cooked over hickory wood.
I was thinking about those whistles. I may go buy some now.

This deer would have wound up in my front seat had I not skidded to a stop. Big buck, too. You're right, though: As car-versus-deer events go, I got off pretty easy.

Thanks.

Richard
Old 11-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #16
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

I heard the same people who are responsible for JFK's assassination have been training animals to wreak havoc with motorists over the last 50 years.

I have a lady friend who moved to Arkansas from (Houston area) where she grew up. She wanted to go back 'home'. When little, she thought deer were so cute. Now that she is an adult and had to drive her car to get about, she learned to hate deer. She never hit one, but they got her blood pressure up trying to avoid them. She also moved back to Houston in less than a year. I'm sure it wasn't just the deer that made her decision, but I'm sure they didn't help.
2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 11/12/20: 78,895 Miles
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #17
GeekOnTheHill

I think part of the reason for the deer collision may have been that my left headlight isn't as clear as I would like it to be. (The deer attacked from the left.)

Also, the adjustment screws for both headlights rotted away long before I bought the car. I kind of jerry-rigged them by enlarging the holes in the plastic and basically shimming them, but they're still less than ideal.

So today I ordered new headlight assemblies from RockAuto. I was tempted to go for OEM at ~$150.00/each, but RockAuto has reaplecements that have gotten good reviews (including on this forum) for about half the price. Also, they have a pretty good return policy, so if they don't fit, I'll send them back and go OEM.

Getting them from a junkyard was also an option, but I figure that junkyard ones (at least around here) are likely to have the same problem of the adjusting screws being rusted away. Pretty much anything that can rust, rusts up here because of the road salt in the winter.

-Richard
Old 11-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Lights do not scare the deer away but they do allow seeing them sooner so evasive action may be taken.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #19
GeekOnTheHill

Quote:
Lights do not scare the deer away but they do allow seeing them sooner so evasive action may be taken.
Yes, exactly. I'm an unusually attentive driver and usually pick them out with plenty of time to avoid them, but I think the poor lighting (especially on the left) contributed to my simply not seeing this deer in time.

It was my own stupidity, when you get right down to it. I've been "thinking about" changing the headlights ever since I bought the car, but I don't have reasons to drive a whole lot at night, so I kept putting it off. I should have just gone ahead and replaced them.

-Richard
Old 11-18-2013, 01:22 AM   #20
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: A deer hit my car!

I subscribe to the Ron White theory on deer. If you could shoot at them using bullets with two tiny headlights, a blaring horn and only traveling 60 mph, you'd hit them a lot more often. :drool

Try KC Masterpiece, mesquite wood and a slow cooker..... if you don't subscribe to dry rub BBQ over hickory wood.

Again, glad you're OK.
DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote