SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 03-11-2013, 01:07 AM   #1
asby81
asby81 is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Motor Mounts, 2000 saturn Ls1

Top Motor mount bracket busted on passenger side of car and also front lower drivers side motor mount also busted and car will not shift into gear is this due to the broken mounts.
asby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Motor Mounts, 2000 saturn Ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by asby81 View Post
Top Motor mount bracket busted on passenger side of car and also front lower drivers side motor mount also busted and car will not shift into gear is this due to the broken mounts.
No, bad engine mounts will typically have nothing to do with a vehicle failing to shift into gear. You did not mention whether you have an automatic or manual transmission. Which is it? Be sure to take a look at the transmission shift cable and linkage. Although I wouldn't expect this to be the source of the trouble, it's a possibility.

When an engine mount is bad the engine will certainly rock when under acceleration. I've only replaced one mount on my car and it was the second one you mentioned - specifically, the transmission mount. The engine will definitely torque towards the rear of the engine compartment when that mount is weak and you should notice some shaking at start up.

When you say that it "will not shift into gear" do you mean that you cannot shift out of park (if you have an automatic transmission), or that once engaged in a reverse or forward gear that the car will not move?

Some more information is needed here: mileage, general maintenance history, esp. with the transmission, and perhaps driving habits.
374K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weaker military; more terrorism; emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad... now Russia?!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 01:34 PM   #3
Robsinno1
Robsinno1 is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know how to change all 4 motor mounts on a 2000 Saturn LS1 or know where I can find a video? I have searched the internet with no luck. Thanks
Robsinno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:01 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsinno1 View Post
Does anyone know how to change all 4 motor mounts on a 2000 Saturn LS1 or know where I can find a video? I have searched the internet with no luck. Thanks
Do you not have access to an aftermarket repair manual? Is there a local library which may have some automotive repair manuals? (My local library actually does have them - lucky me.) You may be able to purchase short term access at a reduced cost to a website like
https://www.alldata.com/diy-us/en
if it's still offered by them. (I've done that.)

Lastly, are you sure that you need to replace all four mounts? The two which go bad earliest are the front transmission mount (near the radiator), and the rear trans. mount (at the firewall side). These must be replaced as a pair at the same time to avoid their premature failure.
374K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weaker military; more terrorism; emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad... now Russia?!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote