SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion

Old 04-15-2022, 03:02 PM   #1
DaveSlinger
DaveSlinger is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 Saturn Vue Rear Brake Shoes

Hello,
I'm doing the rear brakes on my girlfriend's 2003 Saturn Vue. I purchased from AutoZone and I'm told there are two types of rear shoes. One is model 780 and the other is model 729. I'm told one is a centimeter smaller than the other. I hadn't pulled the drums yet so I took both sets.

Got the old shoes off and I cannot for the life of me see any differences between any of the shoes. They all look exactly the same. I called AZ to see where the difference is and they could not tell me from their picture or details where the differences are.

I checked Rock Auto to see if they had two listed with details and they only list one the 780.

Does anyone know why there are two different rear shoe model for the same axle? What's the difference? I mean they are identical- length, width, holes, cut outs, everything that I can visually see.

I noticed on the AZ website the 780 shoes are Notes: 9.84" x 1.86" brakes and the 729 shoes are Notes: 9.84" x 1.85" brakes. The original shoes have a number stamped on them and I called AZ to see if it crossed over to which size show, but it did not. I don't think it matters but I have the V6 engine not the 4 cylinder.

Thank you
DAVE

Last edited by DaveSlinger; 04-15-2022 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Additional Info
DaveSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2022, 09:50 AM   #2
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: 2003 Saturn Vue Rear Brake Shoes

Hey Dave, welcome to the forum. There is not much activity in the general Saturn discussion area. I'd recommend reposting in the Vue tech area:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/for...sprune=-1&f=35
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 03:00 AM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 2003 Saturn Vue Rear Brake Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSlinger View Post
Hello,
I'm doing the rear brakes on my girlfriend's 2003 Saturn Vue. I purchased from AutoZone and I'm told there are two types of rear shoes. One is model 780 and the other is model 729. I'm told one is a centimeter smaller than the other. I hadn't pulled the drums yet so I took both sets.

Got the old shoes off and I cannot for the life of me see any differences between any of the shoes. They all look exactly the same. I called AZ to see where the difference is and they could not tell me from their picture or details where the differences are.

I checked Rock Auto to see if they had two listed with details and they only list one the 780.

Does anyone know why there are two different rear shoe model for the same axle? What's the difference? I mean they are identical- length, width, holes, cut outs, everything that I can visually see.

I noticed on the AZ website the 780 shoes are Notes: 9.84" x 1.86" brakes and the 729 shoes are Notes: 9.84" x 1.85" brakes. The original shoes have a number stamped on them and I called AZ to see if it crossed over to which size show, but it did not. I don't think it matters but I have the V6 engine not the 4 cylinder.

Thank you
DAVE
As a former aftermarket parts counterman I sometimes look into other product lines when information provided seems conflicting. So I took a look at RockAuto and saw the same thing you saw - only one part number for your rear drum brakes, #780. I then looked up the brake shoes in a GM parts website and found that they used only one part number for rear drums on all model years on the VUE regardless of the engine size. Further, checking into two other brand catalogs online, Wagner and ACDelco, both of their catalogs show #780 as the only replacement part with no second choice. My judgement then is that the 780 brake shoes are the correct number for your vehicle.

(FWIW, the O'Reilly's catalog showed both brake shoe P/Ns as having the same dimension in inches, 9.84 x 1.85. Point of information to the other parts people: a centimeter [aka 10mm] is much larger than 1/10th of an inch [~2.5mm] relative to the width of the brake shoes as shown by the AutoZone online catalog. Lastly, each pair of brake shoes may indeed be identical. Occasionally the brake parts manufacturers create new part numbers which are otherwise identical to older ones. When this occurs the manufacturers typically renumber older P/Ns into newer, i.e. higher, numbers. It may be that this never happened with some suppliers which resulted in two numbers being available for your vehicle.)
374K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weaker military; more terrorism; emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad... now Russia?!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote