SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 04-04-2022, 06:57 PM   #1
that1man
that1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nice

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default 02 Ion 2.2 crankshaft relearn?

Just wondering, I just replaced a crankshaft position sensor and was wondering it there is such a process needed for this year/make/model? I read it a few places online after the fact. Car started right up before this. I went the intake manifold route and removed it which required me to move a few other things including the throttle body. Just want to make sure before tear it back a part to see if I hooked everything back up/all the way/right. Had a hard time getting the new crankshaft sensor in due to its location. Didn't wanna go in all the way at first. Maybe it's not all the way in.

Thank
that1man is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2022, 06:47 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 02 Ion 2.2 crankshaft relearn?

In theory, GMs 2.2L 4cyl ECOTEC engine is used across several model lines. This implies service manuals are similar for every model and likely interchangeable except for minor differences. Presuming a 2.2L is a 2.2L then I should be able to describe service manual procedures of the L200 using the 2.2L engine in your Ion.

Presuming the above, GMs L200 service manual describes using (GMs Tech II) scantool to allow the pcm to learn crank sensor signals after replacing it. I do not have Ion service manuals for reference and presume what applies to L200s applies to Ions since both use the same 2.2L engine.

Joke (but true) - how many people does it take to replace a crank sensor in a Nissan Sentra? Ans - 3. One to search online to determine where its located, another to remove it, replace it, damage the plastic flange when incompletely inserting it resulting in the same crank no start scenario, and me carefully seating it completely. Once completely seated the engine fired up. Still working a year later.

The O-ring prevents sliding crank sensors easily into the crankcase hole because the seal is needed to hold back hot engine oil from seeping past the sensor body, dribbling out onto the engine exterior. Oiling the seal can help seat the sensor until it bottoms against the flange. Not seating the sensor increases the distance between sensor pickup tip and machined teeth on the crankshaft, resulting in Bozo 'mechanics' trying to figure out why the engine won't startup.

Whether or not a relearn procedure is needed when replacing the crank sensor depends on what happens after replacing the sensor. Does the engine startup immediately, idle high when cold, gradually return to normal idle and drive without misfiring? Zero misfiring would imply a relearn procedure using GMs scantool isn't necessary. This presumes the engine was running fine and other engine parts weren't replaced before replacing the crank sensor. This would be the best scenario.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:57 PM   #3
that1man
that1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nice

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

I put the old crankshaft sensor back in and it started right up. Cut off a few times but that's probably to be expected after taking the intake manifold off. I think I might try to track down an OEM sensor. Maybe thebone I got from Amazon wasn't truly the right one even tho Amazon says "it fits your vehicle". Maybe it was defective? Might try another one from Amazon.

The old one seats in pretty easy with no force needed and you can tell it's flat. With the replacement installed I used a friend's cheap scanner and it showed a few codes I didn't see before using a more advanced scanner. Mentioned something about the manifold (can't remember code) and another about the throttle body (P0122). Installing the old sensor back got rid of all codes (think there were a total of 8) except 1 generic code (P0418) which is what I had from a while ago after replacing the cylinder head. The engine light also was off but I knew it would come back after a while. I took it to put fuel In it and it the engine light eventually came back on showing the P0122 twice now. Not sure if changing the camshaft sensor a while back got rid of a few codes or this cheaper one just doesn't scan as advanced.

Can't tell if it's driving different/better but I tell myself it does haha. Maybe not but it drives pretty good.

Question: the haynes manual suggests that there is a second camshaft sensor in the back of the engine somewhere. Not sure if it's on the head or block. Would you know at all or have you ever know there to be more than one on this particular year/make/model?

Thanks
Old 04-06-2022, 05:01 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Searching thru my GM manuals, the L200 2.2L engine doesn't have or use a cam position sensor. P0340 and P0341 cam position sensor error codes are derived electronically from the ignition system detecting spark timing. The ignition system, ignition coil pack and ignition control module. The coil pack is monitored for spark and the pcm determines if spark timing is off then generates one of two error codes.

The 2.2L engine relies on the crank sensor providing precise timing signals, basically an electronic clock, to allow the pcm to operate the EFI system.

If a cam sensor error code occurs, my guess is it may be an intermittent icm and/or coil pack or corrosion on electrical connections.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:44 PM   #5
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

You show a 2007 Ion 2 in your Signature. 2000-2006 L61 2.2 liter 4 cylinders take a different crank sensor than the 2007+ engines. Which car are you working on? The first picture is the early sensor. The second picture is the 2007 and later sensor, they do not interchange.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E946BDD9-534A-447C-ADF4-6E850504B90B.jpeg (37.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg 8947F32C-C9B0-4A89-8B47-F10CB2FDFCFD.jpeg (18.7 KB, 3 views)
2002 L200/5 Loaded, over 1/4 million miles!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:07 PM   #6
that1man

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

07 Ion is the car and the second pic is the one I have. I screwed it up trying to get it to seat flat/snugg. Actually it was too snug but not seating right. Like it was too big. Might try to purchase from somewhere other than Amazon
Old 04-07-2022, 09:50 AM   #7
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Rock Auto has genuine Delco parts but you have to wait for shipping. The local parts stores have faster service but higher prices.
You need to lube the o-ring seal and carefully tighten the bolt. Sensors with this type of mounting can be difficult to install.
2002 L200/5 Loaded, over 1/4 million miles!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote