SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 04-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
psionicsin
psionicsin is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
Default Trunk vs Total Car Lock Cylinder Replacement

Had my car since 2005, and have not been able to open my trunk since around 2007-2008.

The key doesn't even turn in it anymore. I've made sure the lock-unlock latch is on the unlocked position. I've even tried all sorts of lubricants and penetrating lubricants, but it's a total no go.

Called GM and they said that a trunk lock replacement would cost me around $300 out the door. I'm a lowly college student who likes to do DIY, so here's my question:

Would it be better/cheaper for me to replace just the trunk lock mechanism, or should I get all of the locks replaced to make use of the same key and all?

Are these parts I'd have to get from a dealer, or is there somewhere online I can get them from? So far me looking online has turned up no results (possibly due to me now knowing what I'm looking for).
psionicsin is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Trunk vs Total Car Lock Cylinder Replacement

Trunk lock repair is usually pretty easy. Get the parts from a dealership, they will key it to your car. Are you sure it's the cylinder? So you have a fresh key cut from your vin by a dealership to try in it? Don't trust one made from another key.
2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
psionicsin

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
Trunk lock repair is usually pretty easy. Get the parts from a dealership, they will key it to your car. Are you sure it's the cylinder? So you have a fresh key cut from your vin by a dealership to try in it? Don't trust one made from another key.
I'm thinking it has to be. Both keys are original to the car. And the trunk was opening and closing for the first 2 years that i had the car, albeit got stuck 50% of the time and I had to jimmy around with it before it would open. but now...the key won't turn to save my life.

PS @2006 ion2: Got another question geared toward you iin the mod section.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Similar issue as you with my 2003 ION. Trunk Lock doesn't turn with the Key at all. Valet Override Switch is OFF and appears to be functioning properly (Keyless Entry Works).

Would love to hear how the DIY repairs go. I too would like to remove/repair/replace mine too if possible. Just need some decent pointers to make it go as straight forward and trouble free as possible.

Both of my Keys are in good condition and shouldn't be the cause of this issue. I'd just suspect it's maybe a stuck/jammed tumbler(s) that is preventing it to turn properly.
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I've done this on a couple cars. it was a sprung clip you need to remove which locks in the lock cylinder retaining nut, then the linkage is removed rather easily and you then remove the lock cylinder. it's something you just have to look at to figure it out, it's not the most difficult thing to figure out.
2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #6
psionicsin

2003 ION-1 Sedan

@lgodave

This thread is branching off of the same topic as another thread I made in the Mod section. What I've decided to do is to replace the doors, trunk, and steering column with the ones of a wrecked 2005 Ion. Guy in my area is selling each part to me for around $60-75 each.

My challenge is no longer the locks, but figuring out how to feed wiring through the body of the car. Body work I can do. Wiring scares me lol.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionicsin View Post
@lgodave

My challenge is no longer the locks, but figuring out how to feed wiring through the body of the car. Body work I can do. Wiring scares me lol.
Well keep me posted on how the wiring goes too... since my Driver's Side Door Power Lock switch in the door is "dead" (had it previously fixed. Remote/Keyless Entry still commands all the locks to lock/unlock so it isn't completely gone...)

Kind of "scares" me too. But I know it's just a matter of finding/bypassing the short/break in the wire. Just wish running/checking the wire(s) was easier.

Since I haven't looked at the what the shop did to fix it last time... hopefully it's a "simple" repair/patch of the previous fix. Maybe.

2006 ion2- Took a snap shot of the layout of the Trunk Lock. With any luck a screw driver should pop off the clips and I can remove the Cylinder for inspection. From your experiences was it just a remove/clean/replace job or something actually damaged the lock/tumblers needing additional parts/repairs? I rarely used mine manually so I'm assuming it's got to be a sticky tumbler...
Old 04-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I had the problem that mine wasn't connected or fastened all the way (it's been a while, so I can't remember which) on my ford sierra. the sprung clip can usually be pulled out with pliers or a screwdriver, depending on what angle you can get on it, but it pulls perpendicular to the axis of the lock cylinder, it keeps the retaining nut from spinning. you can try, once you have the cylinder in your hand, actuating it with the key (this takes some knowledge of how these work, because how you hold it can be important), and see if it rotates. you can also manually actuate the linkage and make sure it's in working order. make sure if it works you install it back in the right orientation and state.

I wouldn't try disassembling the lock cylinder.
2007 Saturn Ion 2

Old 04-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

I tried pulling the main clip holding the cylinder in place. It wouldn't slide out so I'm curious if I need to remove the plastic trunk panel covering the Lock Cylinder and remove an additional clip(s) so I can pull it all the way out.

I didn't remove the linkage clip yet as I didn't have a small tool to keep the "safety" tab from preventing it's removal. Might try that next to confirm the linkage isn't an issue.

Last edited by lgodave; 04-07-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2022, 06:20 PM   #10
that1man
that1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nice

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave View Post
I tried pulling the main clip holding the cylinder in place. It wouldn't slide out so I'm curious if I need to remove the plastic trunk panel covering the Lock Cylinder and remove an additional clip(s) so I can pull it all the way out.

I didn't remove the linkage clip yet as I didn't have a small tool to keep the "safety" tab from preventing it's removal. Might try that next to confirm the linkage isn't an issue.
I know this is ancient history but did you ever figure out how to remove the trunk cylinder? It's weird they made it so damn difficult! I removed both the big and little clips and a spring. The diameter of the cylinder is to big to push or pull out so I dont get it. I need to get a broken key out of it. The key being broken inside the lock makes it to where I can stick anything that will fit in the key slot, even a flat wooden twig, and turn to open it. I need to get it out to have a replacement key made because I lost the spare
that1man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:16 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Does the image with parts help? Theoretically, when the U shaped spring clip is removed, the lock cylinder comes out. Any resistance in lock cylinder removal might be a sticking plastic or metal washer as reinforcement for the spring clip and corrosion to pot metal. A sharp rap on the lock cylinder should break it free from whatever's holding it to the hole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ion trunk lock assy.jpg (88.3 KB, 4 views)
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:21 AM   #12
that1man
that1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nice

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Does the image with parts help? Theoretically, when the U shaped spring clip is removed, the lock cylinder comes out. Any resistance in lock cylinder removal might be a sticking plastic or metal washer as reinforcement for the spring clip and corrosion to pot metal. A sharp rap on the lock cylinder should break it free from whatever's holding it to the hole.
I wish I would have taken a picture so I could have explained it better. Basically, the diameter is to big to slide out from either way. Kinda like that bucket of blocks we (or me, at least) used to play with that had a top with cut out shapes of stars, squares, rectangles, etc? Well, imagine trying to push (or pull) a start shaped block thru a circle shaped cut out. That's what I'm saying. The cylinder itself is loose and wiggles and wobbles around. It's not stuck at all. Only way I can think of to get it out is to cut it out, other than separating two layers of the trunk lid on both sides of the cylinder. The diameter of the cylinder is bigger than the trunk lid whole and is inside it.

The ring (blue arrow) is pretty much caged in by the two blue lines above, if that makes since. Not sure why it's designed like this but like I said above, the only way I see it coming out is if the lid has a way it separates.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20220124-131710_Samsung Internet.jpg (132.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-25-2022, 11:26 AM   #13
that1man

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Here are some pics to better explain. The white circles indicate how bigger the cylinders diameter is compared to the cut outs on the inner and outer lid. I ended up getting it out by doing as I explained above. There were about 4 hex screws, 2 on each side of the inner trunk lid, that I took out to separate the inner from the outer lid. Wouldn't pull all the way apart but did enough to where I could squeeze my small hands in and pull the cylinder out.

Now trying to see if I can pull the cylinder apart to get the broken key out. Hope I don't need a key to turn it for the two pieces to come apart, or the broken key will keep them from coming apart. Will report back

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20220125-091022_Gallery.jpg (150.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20220125-090912_Gallery.jpg (106.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 01-25-2022, 01:36 PM   #14
that1man

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Got it out. The two pieces suddenly and easily came apart some how. Was able to stick a small pick in a whole on the side to shimmy the broken key part out! Do you think a locksmith or the dealership can make a replacement key off of the part that broke off inside the cylinder? Posted images...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20220125-112805_Gallery.jpg (60.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-26-2022, 12:52 AM   #15
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Great snapshots! If the two pieces mate together, maybe a duplicate is possible. I don't know what GM uses for key making but decades ago I went to them to make a duplicate for a Camaro or Buick and saw someone bring out a tool resembling pliers and the jaws able to copy the original and with a squeeze of one hand or two, clamp and stamp/cut a new key in one motion. No key cutting machine using a motor like locksmiths use. Completely portable and hand operated. GM keys back in the 60's or so were thinner compared to Saturn keys so this may be one reason any GM dealer can cut a new key in less than a minute. Maybe I was watching what would normally be done behind closed doors. Only did this once but never forgot how easy it was to cut a new GM key.

What GM does to make keys today is a mystery to me. It won't hurt to show them your broken key and ask. Real locksmiths would know.
Old 01-26-2022, 01:17 AM   #16
that1man

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Yea I took it to the gm dealership and the guy there said the he wouldn't be able to make a key based of 2 pieces. Said to go to a local locksmith and they should be able to do it. He could only do it by getting the code from the manufacturer which is an additional $50 on top of $20 for the key. Someone gave me the code and combination for the key. Gonna see if the dealership can use it. If they say no, I think they are full of it, or maybe its illegal? I find it strange they didn't keep the code from the last time I got it made there. They claim they changed computers 3 times over the years
Old 01-26-2022, 12:31 PM   #17
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I've neglected a recurring response over the years from members here. GM duplicates ignition keys based on the vehicle VIN. Presuming the key and locks are original to the vehicle, GM dealers use VIN info to make new keys. Registration and license ID are provided proof of ownership. Perhaps calling another GM dealer and asking how they can make new ignition keys can clear the air.